Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Project Gamo Expo-26

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project Gamo Expo-26
    Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 9:00pm
Well this is my $110 "bargain" recently acquired via Trademe.  Being the age it is I was kind of hoping it might be a better quality instrument than the current batch, but oh no, it's just as junky as the rest!  This thing may shoot OK, I didn't bother trying the iron sights with my rubbish eyesight.  I pushed on and stripped it down.

The moulded plastic breech block and barrel hinge were bad enough, but the plastic spring guide inside definitely confirmed its pedigree.    However, it's a project so lets see what we can do with it.  There's virtually no chance that cylinder mounted scope is going to work with the flexi-breech and I'm not that keen to make a new one out of steel, so a red-dot on the rear sight mount it will be.

The piston is similar to the Air Chief but a bit better made.  It could do with a new seal - anyone got one lying around they'd like to move on?

The wooden stock is nice (marked but still nicer than the AC plastic job) and the trigger mechanism is a  bit more sophisticated than I'm used to.  There is some rust spots on the top of the cylinder but won't affect its performance.

The spring is toast so I have a new one coming from my mates at AliExpress.  I'll have to shorten it a bit, but that's part of the challenge.  I've made up a new spring guide from some junk steel and a piece of stainless tube I had lying around, along with a locating washer for the seal end.  The guide is quite a bit longer and will be a hell of a lot stronger than the pathetic plastic swizzle stick the factory put in there LOL

FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 10:11pm
It's a healthy addiction.
Requires thought and skill.
I hope you wrote to gamo and thanked them for thier poor quality, a boon for the practically afflicted.
Should be a good project.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 7:12am
Kiwi, do you know how old it is?
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 8:46am
I'm not sure of the age although I'd guess 70's or 80's.  Someone more knowledgeable may let us know.
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 9:16am
Last two didgets on serial number is the date produced on gamo I believe.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 10:04am
Well been running around Web trying to find info but can't find much.
Seems to be in 600+ FPS
The only date refrances i found was a mention of a 2000 model and a serial number in pic that was 98 so 1998.
What has pipped my curiosity is the end of piston cylinder seem to have a removable end cap.
Not something I'm familiar with.
Be great for cylinder, port work for sure.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 11:50am
That part (breech receiver?) is moulded plastic (polymer) with an O-ring to seal the cylinder and secured with two steel pins.  The barrel is also encased in plastic which incorporates the breech, although the breech seal is in the receiver portion and the steel barrel end closes against it.  Horrid setup!

I need a new seal - any suggestions?
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 11:57am
Serial number shows it as made in 96, so not as old as I thought.

This one is definitely older though!

Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by KiwiTR6 KiwiTR6 wrote:

Serial number shows it as made in 96, so not as old as I thought.

This one is definitely older though!

Lovely gun!! Wink
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 1:55pm
Sure is!  And traveled well too Wink
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic