Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gamo 10X hollow point pellets.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gamo 10X hollow point pellets.
    Posted: 31 Aug 2023 at 9:59pm
Ive heard good things about these pellets, so I thought I’d give them a try…

I’m testing the .177 versions, which have a nice size hollow point cup and weigh in at 7.56gr.
They are very well priced at $17 for 500, compaired to JSB exacts at $28 for 500 🤔, and JSB hades at $35 for 500😳

So far I have tested them at 10m in my AA S510 on the “low power” setting (about 4.5fpe), and they produced a one hole group. Should be good for close range bird control up to pigeon size.
I have yet to test them at 20m or 30m on the “high power” (12ish fpe) setting to see if they can hold a group.

I appreciate a pellet that penetrates deep enough to get through the vitals, but also “expands”, dumps energy and dosent leave the target and over penetrate. In my opinion, if it exits, it’s wasted air and wasted energy.

I tested these hollow point pellets on a rabbit carcass at 10m, with just over 12fpe (at the muzzel), broad side chest shot going for vitals.
The shot was a touch far back, just behind the diaphram, a good reminder for me of just how far forward a rabbits vitals are, tucked in up behind the front leg!
The pellet penetrated through the skin, mussel and broke a rib going in, it made a real mess of the liver, exited breaking another rib on the far side, through the mussel and stopped under the skin.
In my opinion that’s almost perfect performance.
I tested a JSB exact 8.44gr on another rabbit carcass, same gun, same distance, same power level, all I did was change the rabbit and change the pellet, and the exact exited the carcass, and was still carrying a bit of energy as it left!

The recovered hp pellet had expanded, from 4.5mm to 5mm, and the base of the cup inside hollow point seems to have blown out and the cup of the hollow point is now a hollow “tube”! U can see right through the whole pellet now, it’s a lead tube 😂.

So far I’m impresssed with them. The last test will be to see if they are accurate at 30m. If they are I might try them on some live rabbits. If they are accurate enough for head shots at 30 they will probably still over penetrate, like exacts do, but they might be able to slightly expand and dump more energy then an exact, which will make them, in my opinion, a more effective kiiling pellet 👍🏻

I’ll update when I have space to test at distance.

Pellet on left is unfired, 4.5mm head. Pellet on right was recovered from under far side skin of rabbit at 10m. Expanded to 5mm head. 12fpe.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2023 at 7:19pm
Nice review. Always appresiate actual animaltesting myself.
Trufully I'd be hell surprised if you didn't just get a good tin.
But hopefully they have upped thier game. Arnt the 10x a shorter pellet made for thier mag system.
Good results for sure.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2023 at 9:24pm
I would t have said they were short. At 7.56gr they are lighter than the normal 8.44gr exact, but they didn’t strike me as short.
I played around with some JSB exact express pellets today, they are also 7.something gr and they do look a little shorter than the usual 8.44’s. But man they were making very nice little one hole groups 😉
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2023 at 9:46pm
Quote from a review
Although it’s a rare occurrence, multi-shot magazines may not cycle properly if the pellets are too long and therefore protrude beyond the face of the magazine.

Hollowpoint ammo like the Gamo 10X will have a shorter overall length compared with a similar pellet with a regular domed head, therefore reducing or even eliminating the chance of it fouling the mechanism.

Edited by kruzaroad - 01 Sep 2023 at 9:47pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 10:30am
Agreed, longer pellets will cause jams in any rotary magazine.
These gamo 10X are pretty much the same length as exact.
JSB exacts 8.44gr   = 5.92mm
Gamo 10X 7.56gr     = 5.67mm
JSB express 7.78gr = 5.36mm

Left to right: exact, 10X, express

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2023 at 11:14pm
Haven’t managed to get to a 30m range to test grouping at 12fpe yet, but today I did some low power testing with these gamo 10X hollow points on a rabbit carcas. Testing was done at 10m, power is around 4.5fpe.
I tested 2 head shots and 2 heart/lung shots. What I was interested in was will the hollow point expand at low power levels, and how deep will it penetrate?

The two head shots did not exit the head which is good news. It might be handy one day to have a pellet/rifle combo that can accurately brain a rabbit and not exit its head 🤔.
Anyway, one pellet was recovered under the skin on the far side of the head, and the other was found in the brain.
They showed very slight expansion.

Of the two body shots, I only recovered one pellet, but neither exited the body (the other was simply lost somewhere in the rabbit and it was cold outside and I’d had enough of digging around looking for it and wanted to get back inside). The recovered one was under the skin on the far side but took a fairly short route to get there.

My thoughts on these pellets so far are that I’m still impressed with them.
I think at low power, sub 5fpe, they would be excellent pellets for ratting, and for close range bird work.
And for $17 for a tin of 500, they seem to be a bargain.

I still need to test at higher power levels (12fpe) for 30m and 40m grouping, and if they can hold a decent group they might replace my beloved Exacts 8.44‘s

Two pellets on left recovered from head, pellet on right recovered from under skin of chest.

Edited by RangerPete - 15 Sep 2023 at 3:48pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 8:00am
If you arnt aware of this channel, tillys gun stocks (don't be fooled by name) have a look. I've linked it to jsb shorts video but worth checking out, whole site.
https://youtu.be/d-btXOE-6-k?si=W5ayGUphP1wX4Sgu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 1:28pm
Did some accuracy testing at 10m with these Gamo 10X 7.56gr hollow point at a low power setting of 4,5FPE, and also did comparison groups with the Air Chief match flat nosed pellet 8.18gr, the JSB express 7.87gr and the standard JSB 8.44gr exact.
Please see the pic below.

The Gamos group is not as tight as the others, BUT, for close range work (out to 20m) on rats and pigeons, they will be more then sufficient. And at 17 bucks for a tin of 500 I think they are a very good value plinking and ratting pellet.

Ive been wanting to test these Gamo 10X's at longer distances and 12FPE for a while, but with no shooting range around here its been quite frustrating.

The other day I worked out that if I sit in the back corner of the lounge, shoot across the lounge and down the passage, open the front door and just squeeze it past the glass side pain, shoot across the court yard, under the boat, and put my pellet trap up against the fence, I can get 20m...! Whoo Hoo!!!

So this morning I tested the Gamo 10X 7.56gr Hollow point at 12ish FPE and 20m, along with the JSB Express 7.87gr and as a control group I did some of the tried and tested JSB exact 8.44gr.

10 shot groups for each, all shot at 20m on the max power level of my sexy little bullpup Elly.
All pellets were just grabbed straight of their tins, so no sorting or cleaning or measuring.

After shooting through a few tins of exact 8.44, I know how they feel when closing the side lever and pushing them into the breech. So when a pellet feels "different", even just a little, I can pick it up straight away.
About 3 of the Gamo 10X's felt a little "different", and one was very different/stiff to load. Cheep pellets... I guess thats what you get.
All 10 of the 8.44gr's felt quite normal, and all 10 of the 7.87gr express's were also normal.

At 10m and a low power setting (4.5FPE), they were only slightly worse then the exacts.
But at 20m and 12FPE, they are not keeping up with the Exacts or the Express's, so by 40m or 60m they just wont be cutting any mustard.
I guess the Gamo 10X's wont be replacing my beloved Exacts for rabbit work after all LOL

Still, for the price, and close range pesting or just plinking, they get the thumbs up Thumbs Up
I'll test them in my sons Gamo Delta Fox next. He is currently shooting JSB Exacts (expensive), but doesn't shoot further then 20m, so if they group in his rifle they will be his next tine of pellets.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 1:31pm
Low power 4.5FPE at 10m
The circles I was aiming at are 12mm diameter.

Higher power (12ish FPE) at 20m
The circles I was aiming at are 12mm diameter.

Edited by RangerPete - 20 Sep 2023 at 1:43pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 1:38pm
So that's the end of the 10x pellets I'm guessing. No point in paying for inferior quality to shoot worse.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic