Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The $100 challenge.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 32>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 9:53pm
Maybe it's worth trying weights on the barrel. Can't hurt.
Or even sleeve it with metal tube, if you can find something suitable of course.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 10:12pm
I wondering if remaking the breach block is the answer. Barrel droop has been feature of this guns build from the first model made to today.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 8:35am
Went out to then shed last night and I was over the moon with my first 5 shots with the barrel resting on the bag - until I realised that what I could see were 3 shots tightly grouped together and the other 2 off the target somewhere.  After a few aligning shots I had another go and got them all together, but a bigger group.  From there it was all downhill with shots going everywhere.  Weird, and I have no idea why although the turrets weren't giving me consistent adjustments.  I might swap the scope out tonight as I suspect it may have an issue.

As for the breech, I was able to get mine aligned near enough to perfect with some careful wipes across the high point of the block with a sharp file, checking as I went.  You can see the marks in the photo.

Edited by KiwiTR6 - 03 Oct 2023 at 1:44pm
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 1:17pm
The open sights are on barrel.
If your sight is on reciever then it will still allow the barrel to go off line when shooting.
It goes against all I've learned.
Sad fact is it shoots that bad, even resting the barrel on a bag made it better. Lol
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 9:06pm
Had another play tonight with the Wulf scope still fitted.  Still couldn't manage a group and the optics appeared a little hazy for some reason so I dragged the Cometa out and fired a nice tight group of 5 with the little Tasco fitted.  Swapped the scopes over and couldn't do any better with the MIC gun. Put a straight edge on the barrel and was able to measure a 3 thou sag so spent a bit of time with the press and got it dead straight, but after all that effort it shot no better.  In fact, it was starting to feel pretty harsh and even though I'd been regularly checking the scope (s) by trying to twist it with the turrets, I found that the dovetail screws on the front mount had worked loose (or I'd forgotten to tighten them).  Sorted that out and some of the harshness was gone but it still shot like crap!

It's coming apart.  I suspect something's not right inside, maybe the screw holding the piston seal cone washer has worked loose?
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 9:29pm
I'm sticking to the breech blocks on them are out of whack.
It explains the barrel.
My theory would also be that as its based around a pivot pin, that any work done to the end of breach will cause another not so tight fitting area around the breech. The distance from the pivot pin to the back of the breech doesn't change. So any material that comes off, won't be pushing firm against the cylinder face.
Take it from the top and the bottom will move further out. Take it from the bottom (which would be insane on a droopy barrel) and the top moves out.
Reangle the whole face and it all sits further out. The amount of play would (in my view) be too little to warrent offsetting and shimming the pivot hole, but enough to allow the barrel to move under recoil.
Having said this I'm not able machine a new block so will number 8 wire something up.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 9:27pm
Well this wouldn't have been helping!  I reset it and gave it a dose of Loctite which got me back to where I was a few days back, but the gun is coming apart anyway.  I'm going to do a bit of yak shaving first and fabricate myself a proper spring compressor, the sash clamp I've been using is a bit dodgy for regular use.

Edited by KiwiTR6 - 04 Oct 2023 at 9:27pm
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 10:15pm
Right you guys I'm back. Been horrificly bussy at work and with the wife and kids away for the holidays was working almost around the clock!

Got off work early but before I left Ive cut a couple of shims to try and level the barrel and will get a scope back on and run some sh*t during the weekend since is supposed to be sh*t weather.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 8:56am
A good result last night using 4.52 JSB Exacts straight out of the tin (not selected for size this time) following initial testing of the QYS pellets I'd just received.  

I'd stripped and checked the gun a week or more ago and been happy with the condition of everything other than the loose trigger adjuster and the retaining washer for the piston seal (see pic).  What that pic shows is that the washer wasn't sitting square to the piston face and this was because the countersunk hole I'd machined was off-centre.  What the pic doesn't show is the head of the retaining screw/bolt being flush with the outer edge of the washer.

I had mentioned earlier before pulling the gun down again that it felt quite harsh when fired and I now think the screw head was the cause.  I corrected the countersink and fitted a different retaining screw with a lower head and after reassembly, the gun felt a lot better to use.

So, after shooting that nice group last night I'm trying to figure out what's changed other than the trigger fix and going back to the red dot sight?  The offset washer and the screw!

Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 8:25pm
Had another play tonight.  No luck with the QJS, they're fractional smaller in skirt diameter and don't sit snug in the barrel as the JSBs do.  They tend to lean one way or the other with a gap on one side.

The pic shows 12 shots in total, 2 were flyers part way through so I carried on until I had a group of 10.  The same group size as last night so I'm pretty happy.

Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 32>
  Share Topic