Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The $100 challenge.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The $100 challenge.....
    Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 10:10pm
Righto all you tinkerers out there....

An idea for a challenge

Who wants to buy on of these rifles below and modify, clean, polish, and do what ever we can to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear..?

For judging we take before 10m or 20m groups and after say 2 (+/-) months of tinkering we do another group shot to find a winner of most improved....??

https://www.guncity.com/177-air-chief-target-jr.ghillie-green-air-rifle-600fps-376530

Who is in? Or is this a terrible idea haha

Edited by Billbobnz - 15 Aug 2023 at 10:11pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 2:29pm
What's the rules around upgrading.
Is it improving the parts on it, or can say put a differnt barrel it etc.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 2:44pm
Well I have been wondering about doing this since our friend cuterabbit got his air chief, but I though why not if anyone else want to join in on the fun we can all have a go and see what we can make of these.

I was thinking the barrel would stay as standard, but anything else can be done to any other part.

For the barrel though you could modify to accept a suppressor or air stripping muzzel brake, barrel weight etc.. To gain accuracy

Edited by Billbobnz - 16 Aug 2023 at 2:45pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 5:20pm
Be more likely to be a docking ring on it somewhere to see if can get the harmonics under control.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 10:17pm
Sounds like an interesting challenge.
If I had the technical know how and the experiance to strip, tinker, swap parts, rebuild, improve etc, I’d definatly be in… 👍🏻
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 11:26pm
Certainly sounds like a good challange.

You would only need a couple of vital tools to tinker. A sash clamp of sorts to relief preload on the spring would be needed, but otherwise making the gun shoot better by deburring factory edges, polishing contact points, proper lube to make it consistant. 

Pete, pulling the gun apart, tinkering and seeing the results of what you do is the best way to learn. In my experience, these "Bam" springers are not fine tuned pieces of equipment, but fairly fundamental and functional.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 3:32pm
I'm kinda interested.  

I don't really have the time at present and the other half won't be impressed but it does sound like a fun idea.  

I think it should be limited to modified stock parts only though to keep it fair.
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 5:42pm
Pauly, I agree with you 100%, the best way to learn is to take it apart and tinker with it.
I’m very tempted to join in and take up the challenge….
But as of today I’m officially unemployed 🙈(of my own choice).
My back and knee have been complaining about all the bending over to service traps, which is why I’ve been giving a lot of consideration to starting a little rabbit culling business… 🤔
So I should probably be watching my pennys untill I have some income again.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 6:47pm
I'm in.
See if can pick one up next week.
Hopefully I've got a pellet it likes.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 10:56pm
Awesome, I'll get mine in the next week as well.

Also would it be best just to have no time frame and just use this thread to display the improvements as we go and will allow anyone to join in when they can?

Edited by Billbobnz - 17 Aug 2023 at 10:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>
  Share Topic