Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Improving my laser bore sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Improving my laser bore sight
    Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 8:42pm
I bought one of these things from the Warehouse on-line.  It was really not a lot more expensive than the same thing on AliExpress but would arrive in a couple of days instead of some unspecified date in the future and I wanted it now.

Unsurprisingly it turned out to be completely useless, more than one pellet landed off target and in the wall somewhere. It's sat in the drawer for a while but with a new scope to sight in on my 10m range and the recipient gun with a scope already sighted in, I thought it would be a good opportunity to see if I could improve it. 

I'm lucky enough to have a lathe so I clamped it into the 3-jaw chuck facing a fixed centre and it was immediately obvious that it wasn't aligned.  So I removed the tail-stock and projected the laser onto the adjacent wall with a reversed target to mark its position.  I then rotated the chuck in60 degree increments marking each position as I went and as you can see it was 15mm off centre at 2.2m.

Initially I thought I'd just correct it with brute force but then after a little of that decided to remove the warning label which revealed 4 adjusting grub screws.  With about 20 mins of rotating the chuck and adjusting the screws I managed to get the laser pretty much perfectly centred.  I then fitted it the Reign and the dot was just a fraction off centre of the aligned scope so I'm pretty happy that it's now suitable for setting up the new scope and any more in the future.

It was a little bit of buggering around but at roughly $20 it was worth spending some time to see if I could sort it out.  So it's clear that they can do the job, it's just that the factory doesn't bother to set up the alignment.

Hope this is of help to someone.

Gavin

Edited by KiwiTR6 - 05 Aug 2023 at 5:48pm
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 9:28am
Interesting. So would the instructions have said that there was adjustment there? Or like every good male did you throw them out straight away?

I'm trying to get my head around the fact that the laser is perfectly straight, but pellet trajectory curved. So is the laser really only best for close sighting in?
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Pauly5 Pauly5 wrote:

Interesting. So would the instructions have said that there was adjustment there? Or like every good male did you throw them out straight away?

I'm trying to get my head around the fact that the laser is perfectly straight, but pellet trajectory curved. So is the laser really only best for close sighting in?

Hi Paul.

You might be right, but the adjusters are hidden under the warning label which has to be peeled off to access them so probably not intended for user adjustment.  I ommitted to mention that adjustment is made with the 4 screws in the same way as one adjusts a 4-jaw chuck.

It's purpose (I assume, that's why I bought my one anyway) is to enable initial sighting in of your scopes so that the pellets actually land somewhere on the target and from where you can then make your alignment adjustments.  I'm about to set up my new Pard which may involve some shimming, so this will give me a good idea of what's needed before I even fire a shot.

Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 6:05pm
Great, you got the Pard.

When I set up the Sytong, I initially put it on my EDgun, and at the time I didn't realize the scope rail had allowance for longer range built in, so the reticule of the Sytong was really high in the screen, so I used the most precise shim I could find at the time, being a bread bag clip, and that worked well. For the Impact it didn't need it.

There is an adjustable mount made by Eaglevision, but very expensive.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 9:05pm
Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the Pard.  It's amazing what it's capable of but will take me a while to get used to all of the various buttons and functions.  I'm happy I went with the 3/6 zoom as you recommended, I think it will be spot on for what I'm planning to use it for.

Fitted it to the Reign today and installed the bore scope, they were both within a few mm of each other at the 10m mark so it doesn't look like I'll need to use the shim, although I really need to lift it by 15-20mm so this may change yet.
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 11:37pm
Hi Kiwi,
Which model of pard did you get?
I’m considering one my self and would be interested to which one u got, and why u chose that one.
Maybe you could post some pics and a review once you’ve had a day or two to play with it 👍🏻
Pete.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 10:15am
Hi Pete.

I looked at both the Sytong and the Pard.  I wanted a complete unit rather than a clip-on and went with the NV008S LRF 3x-6x for several reasons.  I'm pretty sure the Syntong HT60 would have been equally good, but it doesn't currently have the ballistics capability of the Pard.  This is possibly coming, but cost and configuration are unknown at this stage.  Maybe it'll just be a software upgrade, who knows.  I may have gone with the Sytong if I was comparing apples with apples, but the Pard seems to have a good reputation.  Paul recommended I go with the lower magnification version and I'm glad I did.

The 008 LFR is on special at $1,495 generally as it's been replaced by the DS35 which is quite long and didn't suit me for the Reign bullpup.  For this reason it's sold out in most places (my local shop couldn't get one for me) but Delta Mike still has them.

Early days yet, I'm a little apprehensive as it fell out of my backpack onto the concrete when I took it home from work (I'm an idiot sometimes) so hoping there's no lasting internal damage although it does seem to be working OK.  

Sorry, I'm not sure I'm up for a review as I have very little experience with airguns at this point and my progress is pretty slow as I'm still running my business when I should be retired!  Hopefully, this won't be for too much longer. 
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic