Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advise or Warnings for a Pest controller???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advise or Warnings for a Pest controller???
    Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 7:37pm
Hi Folks,

I’m giving some serious consideration to starting my own little one man pest control business.
I’d be focusing on rabbits, pigeons and possums, but will basically shoot anything anyone will pay me to shoot, from sparrows to rats to roosters…

I thought it might be a good idea to reach out to fellow air gunners and ask if you have any pearls of wisdom, or words of caution to share with me with regards to taking on pest control (shooting) as a full time profession.
What should I be aware of, where are potential pitfalls that could be disastrous or could be avoided?

Thanks in advance,
Pete.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
FPM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FPM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 10:06pm
By all means give it a try if you are buying stuff anyway. But from what i have seen its a pretty small market. I live in a farming area and folks around here have rifles and do the job themselves.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2023 at 9:22am
Key things I can think of are;

Insurance and,
Write a procedure that you follow and have it as a JSA,SWMS. For example obvious stuff like follow 7 rules of firearms, notifying client or police. You only need to write this once, but it'll make you look professional.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2023 at 9:11pm
Hi Pauly,
Agreed about the insurance, one of those things you can’t afford to not have.
I get what you are saying about having a written down procedure to follow every time, but what is a JSA,SWMA?
Pete.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2023 at 11:26pm
It's a corporate anagram. Designed by office people to annoy the hell out of those that work with their hands. But it's not silly really.

Job safety analysis = JSA
Safe work method statement - swms

Both the same effectively. Involves breaking down tasks, risks and ways to minimize or eliminate them.

For example 
shooting pests / risk is ricochet or hitting buildings / eliminate by checking firing zone.

I can send you what I use if you like? Not perfect, but it works for me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2023 at 5:37pm
Aaaaarr, makes sense now, thank you.
That would be great if you wouldnt mind sharing it, thank you!
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2023 at 5:58pm
Check your inbox, I emailed it earlier today.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2023 at 6:40pm
Awesome, thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic