Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chrono recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chrono recommendations?
    Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 8:30pm
Looking to buy a chrono for checking my PCPs, any advice as to what works and/or what to avoid?
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 9:51am
Hi Kiwi,
Most work as they should. But as with anything in life, u get what u pay for.
Most of the expensive ones have more features then the average guy needs.
I think some also have velocity ranges that they work with in, so check if it will suit your needs, meaning arrows travel at 200-320fps, pellets travel at 400-1200fps, bullets travel from 900-4000fps.

An experiance I had last week… 🤔 chronographs work with light, there are two sensors usually looking up, and they measure a very slight changes in the amount of light they are recording, ie, the “shadow” of the pellet passing over the sensor triggers it. This means they will not work under artificial lights lights like LCD’s that flicker extreamly fast. Some will come with defusers to help with that. I was struggeling to get mine to give me readings indoors, so I had to go outdoors, but it’s been dark cloudy overcast raining for days so again I was struggeling for days to get any readings. Very frustrating.
Pauly has a very fancy one which has its own light sources and therefore none of the problems mine (and many others) would have.
Hope some of that helps.
Pete.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 1:01pm
Thanks Pete.

I'm about to purchase yet another PCP (yep, it's a very deep rabbit hole!), this one from Ron Young and he also has the FX Mk2 chrono.  The price is not a great deal more than your average chrono and it's compact, quick to set up and doesn't suffer from the light issues.  The on-line reviews are excellent so it seems to be a no-brainer really.
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 3:02pm
I don’t have any experiance of those, but if it’s got good reviews, I’d say go for it 👍🏻
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 5:21pm
Mine ain't that flash, but it doesn't require anything else like light source, or phone with app. Jusgt turn it on and go. It does record strings and averages. Simple to change pellet weight and it shows pellet speed and energy after each shot. It's been faultless and well worth the money.

LMBR Chrony from Poland. You can see the display in my 362 thread.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 6:52pm
Seen the FX in use, nice bit of kit.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 9:34am
Thanks Pauly. 
Very well priced for what it can do and if it weren't for the compact size of the FX plus the fact that I can buy it locally, I'd definitely be importing one.  The ability to use the FX without having to shoot through it is the deal maker.
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 3:25pm
Yea, the good thing about the FX is that you can punch paper a lot easier while recording speeds. (Allowing for any drop if it's mounted on the barrel) But it was just my preference to keep it as simple as possible.

I used to have one of the older style and used LED strip lights over the sensors so I could shoot it in any conditions. This worked fine, but lots of bits and pieces.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 3:30pm
an FX chrony came up on trade me over the weekend
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 3:36pm
Do you have the listing number as I can't find it?  Perhaps it's sold already.
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic