Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gamo Delta Fox GT Whisper .177

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gamo Delta Fox GT Whisper .177
    Posted: 25 Jun 2023 at 10:31pm
I won this air rifle on a trade me auction, the title mentioned a “youth” rifle, so I bid on it for my 11year old son.
It retails for $270, I won it (brand new) for $115.

The box says it weights 2,9kgs, and it really is light. I believe my son could carry it around for a few hours. It is supposed to be a mid power rifle, and thus should be easy to cock, and yes, it is. I’ll test it’s velocity and power out put in due course.

Out of the box, it is small (for me being 6’4) but the right size for my son. The stock is a black polymer (plastic) ambidexteriois thumbhole, as most Gamos seem to be these days. The LOP and pistol grip are too small for me, but again right for my son. The barrel is covered with a plastic shroud from the breech/back sights all the way to the (whisper) “silencer”, so there is no exposed metal on the barrel or the breach at all.
Infact, the side plates of the breach, which are usually metal and show the serial number and caliber, are also plastic.
The open sights are very basic, but usable. Three tiny little fiber optic dots make up the sights (and I mean tiny) and the back sight is adjustable for both windage and elevation. The first time shooting it I was able to get a 15mm group on a small paper target at 10m, but my older eyes would DEFINATLY appreciate the addition of a scope.

The first thing I did was to clean the barrel. This rifle was manufactured in 2021, so although it is new, it has been in storage for about 2 years. A bunch of patches and some Hoppes no9 later and I was satisfied the barrel was clean. I tightened up the 3 stock screws, 2 of them needed about a quarter of a turn to nip them tight.

To “lead” in the barrel I used some old “boxer” pellets I had lying around and also used these first 20 pellets to set the open sights.
Starting at 5m to check that it was on the 14x14cm paper target I then moved back to 10m and adjusted the sights.

A The trigger on this rifle is absolutely HORRENDOUS!
There is simply no other way to describe it.
The first stage is ok, longish, but ok. The second stage is never ending, and is so heavy it almost required 2 fingers to pull through! Youth…? Hummmmm.
I will defiantly be doing the same “lengthen the little screw behind the trigger” mod that I have done on my Gamo CFR.
After suffering a few convulsions and forgetting to breathe numerous times because I was concentrating so hard on squeezing, I managed to get through the first 20 pellets.
A 15mm group had started to appear close to the center, which I was quite happy with, considering I could barely see the target 😂.

Step one done.
Step two, fit a scope, adjust trigger, keep sending pellets down range.

Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2023 at 10:57pm
Spent a bit more time with the Delts Fox GT this afternoon.
Did the upgrade to the trigger. Big improvement. The first stage is still very long, but the second stage is usable now 👍🏻.

Shot a respectable group with the open sights even though I could barely see the target.
I then fitted an old Gamo 3-9x40 that I had lying around. I was a little suspect of the scope because the rifle I took it off couldn’t hold a zero, but I put it on and tried it anyway.
After another 20 pellets and 2 horrible groups I decided the scope was buggered and took it off.
I then fitted a Nikon 3-9x40 and started the process again, finishing off with a ragged hole somewhere in the middle of the target.
Something of interest I noticed while checking the poi of each pellet, is that I came across a few pellets that were very “loose” in the chamber, and just dropped in, as apposed to the others that needed to be gently pressed into the chamber. They clearly had a smaller head size and they also shot to different poi’s then the rest of the group, usually low and left.
Flyers is what we normally call them, and you always wonder was it me, was it the pellet, or some other external factor… well now I know, these flyers were Definatly from “loose” pellets 🤔

I was happy to leave it there for now.
I now have about 100 pellets through the rifle, and will start testing different types of pellets.

Stock screw on left, new longer screw on right.

Zeroing the two scopes. Finished with the Nikon on the right.

Edited by RangerPete - 27 Jun 2023 at 7:04pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2023 at 7:06am
So what was the head size it prefured.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2023 at 11:35am
The vast majority of the pellets were “snug” in the breech and seemed to produce the grouping in the middle.
The “loose” ones were usually low and left.
There was also a small sub-grouping up above the main group, which makes me wonder were those pellets a wee bit extra tight in the breech???
Going forward I’ll try measure and record the head size before I load each pellet and see if I can work out a pattern.
I only have a vernia that reads to 0.05mm, but I might be able to detect a size difference.

When changing from one type of pellet to another, what do you think an adequate number of “leading in” pellets would be for each new type of pellet before testing it for grouping?
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2023 at 12:42pm
Should good enough for head size.
Prob be better sorting a tin out into head sizes first. It's supprising how much variation there can be and often the most common isn't the head size indicated. That way you can shoot groups of a particular size.
Relaxing way to pass a couple of hours.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2023 at 5:45pm
So pellet type number 1. Made by CZ, “boxer” pellets. No weight given.
Had them lying around for a very long time.
Measured 20 pellets.
4.3mm x 1 pellet
4.4mm x 4 pellets
4.45mm x 11 pellets
4.5mm x 4 pellets.
Clearly these are high class, quality pellets. 😂😂😂
Kept 10 of the 4.45mm for a 10th shot grouping test, and used the other 10 to warm up me and the barrell.
Interestingly the 4.5mm grouped together and high.
The 4.4mm grouped together but lower. And the one 4.3mm, which I would describe as “loose” in the chamber, was a lot lower than all the others.
The remaining 10 pellets were supposedly all 4.45mm, according to my old vernia.
Shot at 10m, the result is in the pic below, with 7 shots in a 10.5mm ctc hole.
The last 5 shots were all in the “one hole” so maybe the barrel needed at least 15 shots to warm up…???
Who knows 🤔

Edited by RangerPete - 27 Jun 2023 at 7:32pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 7:23pm
Tested pellet number two today.
Also a very old tin of pellets I have had for ages. CZ, Diabolo Master. No weight given.
I used to shoot tins of these through my old Diana mod42 side lever at 12m, developing muscle memory for my .458Lott. They were super accurate in that rifle at 12m, even free hand. (I’ve just found out why!)
I measured the heads of 25 pellets, and… they were all identical!!! All 4.45mm. Unbelievable!
The “boxers” I measured yesterday had a 0.2mm variation. These had 0.0mm variation!!!

Anyway, shot a group of 10 on the left to “lead in” the barrel, then another group of 5 on the right for some extra leading in, then a final group of 10 in the center. All shot at 10m.
Pretty happy with that and I think it’s going to be rather hard to beat that… 🤔 But still got the JSB hades and exact to come!

All 25 measured the same 4.45mm!!!

Seems the “leading in” really works. First 10 shots on left, (first 5 all over, second 5 settled). Third 5 shots on the right. Then 10 in the center.

Edited by RangerPete - 27 Jun 2023 at 7:38pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 8:16pm
That's a nice group all right.
Be interesting to see how it spreads with distance.
Be saving that tin of pellets. Great when you score a good tin.
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 10:39am
looking good! Lower powered airguns do often do well with flat head pellets
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 5:33pm
For some reason I have it in the back of my head that flat/wad cutter style pellets are intended for 10m target competition, and they are very accurate out to 10m but by 20m they are all over the place… 🤔🤔🤔

Will have to test that theory once I’ve finished testing the Hades and the Exacts at 10m
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic