Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Bow hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thank you little goat.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thank you little goat.
    Posted: 15 May 2023 at 10:14pm
Yep a massive stag abut still only a medium compared to the monsters being bread today.

Gave me and my brother in-law a taste of what it's like to be sone rich bugger that's paid an enormous sum of money for the pleasure
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 9:14pm
Wow, what an incredible stag he is!
Even though it’s a pick up, it must surely be some sort of record somewhere???
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 10:38pm
Nice. Looks like an good end to nice day. Way to go.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 9:28pm
The fallow does never showed themselves, probably because we were having too many laughs.

Did bag this red spiker on the bush edge with a 7mm remmag gunwerks.com rifle

Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 9:11pm
Long ish story behind that stag.

Was invited to do a fellow doe cull after the first lockdowns on a safari hunting block on the west coast. Saw only bucks during the morning hunt but found this monster dead. Last known sighting was a few days earlier and he was reported to be not looking well. Had COVID not come around and stop everything he would have been shot in his prime.

I got offered to take the antlers and sourced another head skin so I could mount him (I do a bit of taxidermy)

Scored in at 482sci. Here he is below, no room in my house for him and I still have to pinch myself

Edited by Billbobnz - 14 May 2023 at 9:12pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 5:12pm
Ja trad takes a lot of dedication and practise, it’s definatly a skill that if u dont use it, u loose it 😉
That’s a magnificent looking stag in ur profile pic (the deer not you), where did u hunt him?
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 4:34pm
That's awesome, Mathews make great bows.

I took up trad archery and was doing very well for a few months then not shooting for around 6 months and decided to shoot some arrows a month ago and I was all over the place. I want to get back into it to be able to take a deer sometime.

I set my crossbow up so I can just range the distance, point and shoot while life is a bit busy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 10:59am
Just as an aside…

I’m not quite sure why we have bow hunting and powder burning topics in an air gunners forum 🤔
Not that I have anything against bow hunting or powder burning, I happily partake in both wonderful activities!
I guess if there are other like minded hunters who also enjoy bows and bangs, there is no reason why we need to limit our discussions to air guns only.

Well anyway, the bow hunting topic was there so I thought I’d post and share my week.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 10:44am
Hi Billbob,
Ja she’s a Mathews Atlas. I have a stupid 32” draw length so I’m limited on which bows I can shoot, but I do love my Atlas. Yoda, is a pleasure to shoot.
I first got into archery and bow hunting in the mid 90’s, but fell out of it for many years. Always wanted to get back into archery and when I arrived in NZ we were sent stright into 2 weeks of isolation in a hotel room and the Olympics were on TV, so I watched all the Olympic archery and decided it was as good a time as any to get back into archery.
And yes, fellow deer was what we were after. There were plenty around, but the weather was up and down, and I find the terrain is quite difficult.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 9:53pm
I'm guessing if your in Whanganui area the deer were Fellow?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic