Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Bow hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thank you little goat.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thank you little goat.
    Posted: 11 May 2023 at 10:19pm
Well…

After hunting hard for the last4 days in howling winds, bucketing rain and freezing cold up in the ranges outside Whanganuie, I’ve gotten close to a few deer, but haven’t managed to get a shot off, usually thanks to swirling winds!

This afternoon was my last chance for an afternoon hunt, so in the cold and rain I set out one last time.
Saw 7 deer this afternoon, closest I got was 37m as I snuck along the side of a hill through the pines, steep uphill shot, but they had seen me first and were off before I could come to full draw. 😡

There was an ever so slight breeze as the rain was falling, but it was in my favour so I decided to stay up in the pines and hold my line. Another ridge further along and I spied the back end of a goat… hummm
They were walking and feeding, making their way towards a gully which would take them higher and higher up to the top of the hills where they bed down. I’ve seen many goats along this face the last few days, but passed them over in search of a deer, but with the hunt almost over I decided to try find a young nanny in this mob.

The good part about hunting in the rain is it quietens down everything underfoot and u can stalk a little easier (if you can keep your footing and not slip in the mud and slide 200m down to the bottom of the hill!).
Using the trees I managed to stalk to about 15m with out being seen by her or the rest of the mob.
Quartering away shot, exactly what you want! Her head was down, I drew back, checked my pins one last time and released my arrow.
I spend a lot of time making sure my broadheads are literally razor sharp, and it zipped clean through her, in one side and out the other.
She went about 18m, lay down and went to sleep as the rest of the mob moved off.
Thank you little goat.

Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 10:36pm
Nice work and well stalked there Pete!

Curry for tea then? 
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 10:57pm
And thank you Pete. One less of those eating the environment is awsome.
Glad your trip wasn't totally unproductive.
I'm a great fan of goat meat, so consider a great score.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 2:23pm
Hi Kruza,
Pity you don’t live closer, I’d gladly shoot a bunch for you!
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 2:42pm
Shoot them anyway. Destructive little critters. Good dog food if ya not eating them. What's left of the carcass makes an awsome brew in a 200 ltr plastic drum for your gardens too. Stinks to high heaven mind.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 9:51pm
Ooooooooooooo awesome Pete. Nothing wrong with goat meat. How long have you been bow hunting?

What's your set up? I see big cams and riser looks like Mathews.....?
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 9:53pm
I'm guessing if your in Whanganui area the deer were Fellow?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 10:44am
Hi Billbob,
Ja she’s a Mathews Atlas. I have a stupid 32” draw length so I’m limited on which bows I can shoot, but I do love my Atlas. Yoda, is a pleasure to shoot.
I first got into archery and bow hunting in the mid 90’s, but fell out of it for many years. Always wanted to get back into archery and when I arrived in NZ we were sent stright into 2 weeks of isolation in a hotel room and the Olympics were on TV, so I watched all the Olympic archery and decided it was as good a time as any to get back into archery.
And yes, fellow deer was what we were after. There were plenty around, but the weather was up and down, and I find the terrain is quite difficult.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 10:59am
Just as an aside…

I’m not quite sure why we have bow hunting and powder burning topics in an air gunners forum 🤔
Not that I have anything against bow hunting or powder burning, I happily partake in both wonderful activities!
I guess if there are other like minded hunters who also enjoy bows and bangs, there is no reason why we need to limit our discussions to air guns only.

Well anyway, the bow hunting topic was there so I thought I’d post and share my week.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 4:34pm
That's awesome, Mathews make great bows.

I took up trad archery and was doing very well for a few months then not shooting for around 6 months and decided to shoot some arrows a month ago and I was all over the place. I want to get back into it to be able to take a deer sometime.

I set my crossbow up so I can just range the distance, point and shoot while life is a bit busy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic