Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crosman hollow probe build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crosman hollow probe build
    Posted: 09 May 2023 at 10:11pm
With new enthusiasm I started making a couple of new hollow probes. These allow the air or CO2 to travel up and act directly into the back of the pellet. The other design factors i've included are a tapered edge that fits inside the pellet skirt and enough length that it seats the pellet past the transfer port into the breech. I tapered the edge so that it should help engage the skirt with the rifling and so create a good seal.

I will let the photos do the talking, but this is progress so far. First photo shows the main profile and O ring groove formed

Here you can see the probe halfway across the TP, and second photo shows a clear passage through probe. 

The next couple are various angles of the hollowed out probe. I still need to workout the bolt hole angle and placement so that the hole lines up with the transfer port when pushed home.

One more showing how the taper fits into the pellet skirt.

Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 9:04am
wow great work Paul, let use know if you get any increase of power when you test shooting it
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 10:57am
I would be interested to see how much it cools down per shot due to the CO2 expanding at a faster rate. Looks good!
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 11:07am
Would not the easiest way to line the hole be to make the bolt/probe minus the hole, then with the breach attached to the barrel, lock the bolt shut turn the breach and barrel upside down in a vice, aline it and with a drill press, drill it to just shy of actual circumference needed then finish it off out of breech. This to me would eliminate the need to have to work out angles, as the hole is drilled at the correct point for the locked position of the bolt.
I love the tapered edge for end of probe. Assuming that pellet skirts are even and not causing a lockup against the barrel, I imagine that air/CO2 will after the initial push starting the pellet, push back causing the skirt to flare nicely with good pressure. Be keen to hear results when done. Looks like I might be ditching the extended probes I have which are awsome for your design if they work well. And of course if I can persuade you to make me a couple.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 12:32pm
I haven't tried it on CO2 yet.

Kruza, I had made one a while ago, and so I have exact measurements to follow that work for the probe tip, but I have made a hardened centre punch tool for marking the exact position of the bolt hole while the probe is in position. 

So this definitely works, but haven't compared it with the extended probe, but I feel both benefit over the factory probe by getting the pellet past the transfer port and have less restriction for the air/CO2 to get behind the pellet.

I am going to try and make a few while I have my "flow on" if you know what I mean. Wink Wink

Billbobnz, I reckon there is an increase, but I often forget to make notes before I start, so don't have the comparison. I have fitted one to my 362, and compared it to a brand new 362 out of the box, and from 8 pumps I am getting 13.8 fpe, and the new std gun got 12.2 fpe with the same pellets. 
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 2:07pm
Looks awesome!

Could you have done the bolt handle first, close bolt firm in the breech then marked the TP hole for location?

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 6:53pm
Yep, ok JS and Kruz I agree that would work too. 

I don't drill the hole in the probe tip, but run a small round file across it. I didn't drill it because the wall is quite thin, and I was concerned if the drill bit snagged it would pull it out of shape and bugger it up. But I could definitely mark it up that way and then form the hole.

I'll do it on the next one.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 6:55pm
But if it doesn't work you welcome to give us grief for the sujestion
jwabfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 8:36am
Awesome engineering Pauly, you obviously have a lathe? Jeweller's size or something bigger?
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:07am
Yea, it's a small one from the toolshed. Often referred to as a Chinese mini lathe.

I've had it a couple of years now and it's addictive learning how to set it up and use it. I'd recommend it if you're looking for another hobby.

One thing I have learnt to appreciate is that tolerances are so important, and you can often make an ordinary everyday item better by reducing tolerances.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic