Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Small bore powder burners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On the run

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On the run
    Posted: 02 May 2023 at 7:08am
This from earlier in year on farn.
I don't use powder very often for rabbit/hare shooting.
Was shot at 90m on the run preety much heading strait away from me which made the shot a lot easier.
Free standing. Toz 22lr with Winchester subs not sure if they were 40gr but around there.
Not favorite ammo of the gun but pmc zapper ain't anywhere I can find them anymore.

Edited by kruzaroad - 02 May 2023 at 7:11am
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 12:33pm
nice shot,

I've only used a .22lr a couple of times. 
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 12:53pm
It's nowhere near as fun as an air rifle in my view. I'd shot literally hundreds of possums up north with that Toz, magpies and a few rabbits on farm
and to tell the truth I found it gets rather boring compared to air rifle.
Also has a lot of limitations you don't have with air rifle due potential bullet travel past target, areas you can shoot and sound setting critters a running.
Having said that the it allows for longer shots and has better impact and less wind travel.
Great if your into distance shooting small game.
You can drop a cow in the yards with one, if you shoot it to back of skull.
Definitely holds dangerous amounts of power.
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 2:51pm
I've shot smallbore for 60 years (Captain of school team, etc) and have two lovely Anshultz .22LRs.

But I'll tell you one thing - they are not as accurate as Air Arms PCPs!! True! Smile

I've shot probably a thousand possums with my Anshultz sporter model whilst lamping and its great, light and with a silencer, as quiet as a PCP.  But as Kruza says, it's not so much fun as shooting with a PCP or Springer!

My .22LR's are now gathering dust in the gun cabinet - a testament to how addictive airgunning has become!

And beyond 60yds, the PCPs (and some Weihrauch Springers) are much more accurate than my Anshultz sporter.

I'm using sub-sonic ammo in my Anshultz sporter (for the silencer) but I believe the above holds true even if I were using High Velocity rounds....

My heavy barreled Anshultz and is now for sale if anyone is interested - it's the Match 64 MP R model. There's also 900 Eley match target rounds for sale too..... it's great on the smallbore range (with Aperture Sights) as well as for long range bunny shooting (with Scope) too!

Why am I selling? Because I'm addicted to airguns now!!!! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
FPM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FPM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 3:35pm
TBH if I ever got serious about air rifles this is the way I would go. But for now I actually prefer my 22lr. My Gamo and BSA 22's were good as a stepping stone but I find the size of the Gamo and the cocking effort a bit much. Cycling the bolt through 20+ rounds is a far better experience for me.

I also much prefer the range of the 22lr. I can sit at the top of the bank here and shoot near on 100% at my target about 60m away whereas with my Gamo I have to go half way down to under 40m range.

Edited by FPM - 07 May 2023 at 1:08pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 3:55pm
That's a lot down to the guns.
A higher quality springer will get you out 60m and on target. Though the amount of understanding of your gun idiosyncrasies and projectile arc and windage will need to be higher standard.
Thats the joy of air rifles. Its not point and shoot.
Having said that 22lr at longer ranges is still a challange.
I can see the enjoyment in having a 22lr and not having to go through such a learning curve.
There are some pretty great 22lr.
Norinco jw15 I was using for a while was a very accurate gun and in the lower its price range and taking it out hunting was pleasure. You knew you were coming back a few rabbits, possums or maggies less on the farm.
The humble 22lr is a great small critter gun. Very effective.
I'd love to try a 17hmr. That, a gun tripod like you have, shooting off a hill at rabbits a 100m+ away would be an awsome afternoons/evening shooting I should well imagine.

FPM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FPM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 8:14pm
A 17hmr is on my shopping list. Our local shop is supposed to be getting a Savage B17 in. If I buy it you are welcome to come and try.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 9:15pm
Hey thanks for the offer.
I'm down the south island at this time so its not to likely at moment.
But if I'm back up that way for sure.
I'm sure we could head to me mates farm and he has some nice high hills that look down on flats that the hares hang on. Be good distance shooting and good angle shooting too.
Not to mention he would have no hassles with doing a night sweep on the hares. I never really cleaned up as many with the air rifles as I could have if I'd got the Toz out more.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 11:39pm
I have an old .22 JW15, but have never fired it. My pcp is capable enough for 60m and over. Wind is the biggest enemy with pellets, but I have tried slugs, and they definitely perform better in wind, and flatter trajectory, but being heavier, when they start to drop, they really drop. 
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 6:04am
Throw a moderator on it, if it didn't come with one, they seemed to be sold as package deals with a scope and moderator back then, grab some subs and give it a whirl.
Not having shot pcp I have no idea of comparative performance but should well imagine that it's going to give you a flatter tragetory with a heavier grain weight for pest control.
That hare shot at 90m was probly about 1to 2 mildots holdover (it's a pretty plan 4xscope with no mildots on Toz)
Stopping power was instant.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic