Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Umarex .22 calibre 850 M2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Umarex .22 calibre 850 M2
    Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 5:19pm
Rifle comes with a few new features including clip on cheek riser, threaded barrel and accessory rails.
Purchased for sub 12ft/lb target shooting.

Powered by 88 gramme CO2 cartridge
Comes with 1 magazine and extras are $70 each
Initially a little difficult to latch bolt back and safety release is also tight, both improving with use.

Pellet trials
Sig venom ok
JSB Jumbo RS very good
RWS Super Field best group so selected this for further evaluation
Crosman Premiere very good
Gamo Match ok
H&N Field Target Trophy very good

Clip on Cheek riser fitted.
Black rubber stock extension fitted (Pachmayr decelerator slip-on) transferred from my Hammerli 850.

Fitted up with ZeroTech 3-12 x40 scope.

5pm Cloudy and strong breeze from right POA was right hand number 6 firing 8 shot magazine
Wanting to do better than .177 in wind so I was pleased but will have to have both rifles set up for true comparison.

4pm with just a gentle breeze and in the sunshine (full concentration).
Bench rest using shooting bags. Now need to build on distance.

Umarex850 M2
Pellet BrandSigAir
Pellet typeVenom
Average fps542
Grains14.6
grams0.94
foot pounds9.53
Joules12.92
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 7:55pm
Rws is great grouping.
Be interested in what distance it is still pushing 5fpe at, and if its over 43.74yards (40m) what it groups like at 30m (32.81yrd)and 40m (43.74yrd)
If you have a interest in pushing it a bit further. (hunting practicality testing) just curiosity on my behalf.
Great shooting by you at 20yards for sure.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 8:05pm
Let us know how many shots per 88grm bottle too.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 7:51pm
Shots per CO2 bottle, count was over 130 when I changed the bottle as it started to drop off however it must have been cooler weather as quite some CO2 remained to be discharged. Stated count is 150 pellets and no reason to doubt that in the summer.

Struggling to get consistency out at 25 yards and beyond with the RWS or JSB.
Mechanism seems to be more affected by cooling effect after multiple shoots than previously experienced. I tend to buy up CO2 bottles in winter for summer use so perhaps I am expecting a bit much for this time of year.

Working with Crosman Premiere pellets currently. 

I remain hopeful of using this rifle at outdoor 30 metre sub 12 ft/lb club competition but currently I would be better with my .177 Hammerli 850.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 8:51pm
30 metres bench rest off shooting bags to hopefully tighten up on results to no avail.
Struggling in cooler outdoor conditions and my .177 definitely out performs the .22.
Will persevere and perhaps need to try some heavier or different head size pellets.

30 metres .22 Umarex 850 with Sig Venom pellets and Zero Tech scope. 77mm OD

30 metres .177 Hammerli  with RWS Super Field pellets and Tasco scope. 33mm OD

Edited by mercs - 16 May 2023 at 8:52pm
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 8:33pm
Hi Mercs,
Are those big 88gr canisters re-fillable?
Pete.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2023 at 7:08pm
No, they are one time use, so at $30 each are convenient but not very economical options.

There are adaptors designed for refillable paintball type bottles.

Umarex make a 2 x 12 gramme cartridge adaptor which I would definitely use if available in NZ.
The 12 gramme are more often on special for larger orders and the device actually seals allowing it to be removed from rifle and refitted when charged with gas.

Edited by mercs - 22 Jul 2023 at 7:10pm
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2023 at 3:00pm
8 months with the M2 with mixed results, it has never became the reliable target rifle at 25 yards as hoped. I get good results at 15 - 20 yards but cannot turn that into a credible score at club distances.

Being sub 10 ft/lbs the .22 version just does not perform like the Hammerli .177 850.
The same CO2 power applied to the cross section of .22 calibre is potentially more effective but clearly loses out at a distance.

Following a careful barrel clean using BoreTech products, this eight shot spread through the chronograph still had disappointing fps on shot 1 and 6 which would have let me down at the targets. I was careful to space the shots out to avoid any chilling effect from the CO2.

UmarexJSB
850 M2RS

M2 has been dressed up with a side focus ZeroTech 3-12x40 and as long as I stay within 20 yards I get decent results. 

H&N FTT 14.66 grain with a 5.54 head size.
Good result but pellets are quite tight when loading.

Edited by mercs - 29 Dec 2023 at 3:04pm
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 8:18am
Interesting. Did you notice poi change with shot 1 and 6? It's not a big change in speed.

Have you opened the gun up to check the hammer or valve system? A slightly sticky hammer from a rough factory edge can certainly have a bearing on pellet speed, especially with the lower velocity for .22.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 7:45pm
Test were through the Chronograph to ground so no POI reference. 

I have not disturbed anything as still under warranty. Loading mechanism, safety and I suspect valve, operation were very firm when new but has freed up with use. Very difficult to get through a magazine of eight pellets without at least one abnormal flight.

Good point, I will have the unit serviced and valve checked before warranty ends in April.

cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic