Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gamo Swarm Magnum 22 max range?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FPM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gamo Swarm Magnum 22 max range?
    Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 9:13pm
I have a Gamo Swarm Magnum 22. Shooting Baracuda Power 21gr I can repeatedly hit my 4" target at around 35m but as I go out further I can't hit at all and have to resort to my 22lr.

Can anyone offer some guidance on the max useful range for this rifle?

Edited by FPM - 10 Apr 2023 at 9:16pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 10:16pm
As far away as you can hit a 1.5inch circle with confidence if it's for hunting.
Have you tested differnt pellets and got your hold sorted?
Made sure everything is tight. I found that my gamo was fussy on all those things. (temperamental might be a better word)
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 6:28am
Hi FPM,

Not sure how experienced you are with airgunning but I've just sent you a PM about range time at mine - we can discuss key things like "Best Pellet", "Trigger Technique", the "Artillery Hold" and "Follow Through" then - which may improve accuracy in your rifle?

We'll try your rifle on my range and see if we can improve things?

Cheers, Myson. Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 9:42am
Just because you cant hit the target does not mean the pellet is not making it that far.  My little .177 800fps rifle can easily knock down targets 50 meters away.

I would suggest putting a big backing board behind the target and see where the pellet is hitting.

Having said that, 21 gr pellets in a brake barrel is defiantly pushing it a bit and that could be part of the problem.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 11:37am
I remember having a plink with a low power (6 ft lb) .177 10m target rifle - repetatively hitting a hanging bottle target at 50m, and a fence post clocked at 100m (aiming quite high)

The gamo being magnum powdered around 18-20 ft lb should be at its peak at around 40-45m, then still quite effective out to 100m+
21gr pellet is heavy - designed for high power PCP. Id try sitting down at a table, rested shooting on a bag, trying as many pellets as you can - 5-10 shot groupings. At 35m you should be able to group inside 1.5" with several pellets then keep going with the one that shoots the tightest group.

Being a magnum it will have quite a recoil - this doesnt help consistency, so you will need to learn how it likes to be shot - tight vs artillery hold etc.
If the trigger is heavy then you will likely pull shots from squeezing - figure out the break point and try for consistent trigger pull.

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
FPM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FPM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 4:26pm
Thanks for the responses. I have connected with @Myson and intend to visit sometime next week and we will see what is happening.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 7:39pm
Trigger is a big factor too. If the trigger is too heavy, or slightly un predictatble, then you can struggle to get accuracy, so maybe some tuning or fettling can help too.
jwabfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 8:51am
There is an easy gamo trigger mod you can use to improve the trigger but exercise caution when doing so - you fit a longer grub screw which shortens the final stage but can make it dangerously light and unpredictable if over done. No reduction in trigger force. See airgun detectives youtube video: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd3i3plr5e0
https://airgundetectives.com/product/adjustment-screw-for-the-gamo-c-a-t-and-s-a-t-triggers-2/
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 9:02am
Originally posted by jwabfrog jwabfrog wrote:

There is an easy gamo trigger mod you can use to improve the trigger but exercise caution when doing so - you fit a longer grub screw which shortens the final stage but can make it dangerously light and unpredictable if over done. No reduction in trigger force. See airgun detectives youtube video: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd3i3plr5e0
https://airgundetectives.com/product/adjustment-screw-for-the-gamo-c-a-t-and-s-a-t-triggers-2/

You can buy this screw from Gun City for $75... What a bargain! not.
http://www.guncity.com/gamo-trigger-job-screw-for-s.a.t.or-c.a.t.trigger-385159

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
jwabfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 1:55pm
What a pack of kents, general hobby store will sell them for less than $10. I think I have some from my Gamo if anyone wants me to mail them one. PM me if you would like one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic