Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Still Learning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Still Learning
    Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 10:21pm
Shooting at range the other day, me with my FX wildcat, other guy with his entry level Gamo PSP. He kicked my ass for accuracy. Him being an English person, we had a discussion about clean barrels and his opinion was never clean your barrel & never use oil based chemicals when you do,  can take 700 shots to break in a barrel. 
Ok I have cleaned my barrel 2x using heavy fishing string and cloth pull threw and hoppies No 9 but  dry patched it out. 

Next came cleaning & lubricating pellets silicone lub, weight & skirt sorting, these are must do & individually storing pellets in knock proof seperated containers.
 WOW I really am a Bogan
To be fair I was messing around with different pellets & weights & power settings, The wildcat is limited in adjustment ability but still enough to get carried away playing with settings. 
This English guy is happy with less speed, and while sighted in at 25m has a drop of about 4 inches at 50m but better accuracy than I achieved.    Still Learning
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 6:22am
If you were trying different pellets, did you "re-lead" your barrel with the next pellet type before comparing groups?

For example:

• Shoot a group with pellet "A"
  • Re-Lead your barrel with 7 of pellet "B" (fire them into the ground)
  • Shoot a group with pellet "B" and compare with "A" group
  • And so on...
I find that if I don't re-lead first, I don't get true groups for comparison. Perhaps this is why your accuracy on that day was less than usual?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 9:02am
I'd agree with the releading between differmt pellets. I've come to the conclusion that the differnt hardness of the lead of certain pellets needs to either A: clear the build up of lead from softer pellets or pellets that have a smaller head size or B: build up the layer if harder or larger diameter pellets habe been used.
I've found that if I shoot 2 groups of 5 that first group will usually throw around three flyers and don't take the first group seriously but will compare any of the none flyer shots with the second group. This is without cleaning the barrel. After cleaning the barrel I usually run 15 or so soft lead pellets ( gun City Javelin or white pellets usually) through it then 5 of what I'm shooting then back to the two groups of 5 then adjustment.
I also keep all my wrong head size and damaged skirt pellets of the pellets Im using for hunting for the initial shots after using the softer pellets. Then the actual correct head size and weight for the two groups of 5.
This is just from what I've found personally.
I'd be keen to hear what others do or don't do.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 9:35am
If you have a Mk3 wildcat, you will be able to tighten groups by fine adjustments of the hammer tension. This can change the harmonics of the whole shot cycle and can tighten groups. Most FX will perform well with JSB, AA pellets. I don't clean my barrel unless accuracy starts to get bad.

Do you have a chrony? 

It's a bit like photography where you can take photos whatever the setting, but getting the balance with F stop, exposure, shutter speed will give you a great photo. Regulator pressure, valve spring tension and hammer tension are the three main things for a pcp. You want just the right amount of air, not too much or too little to push the pellet out, and then you get that sweet pffft.

Edited by Pauly5 - 07 Apr 2023 at 9:36am
flock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 1:03pm
Thanks Guys think you are right, keep changing pellets too often. Trying to achieve 900 with 25g slugs on highest setting 7 /  920 with 18g jsbs setting 6  /  900 with 16g hades setting 5 and so on, so was switching all over the place. Noticed after doing the wash, dry, silicone of half tin of Hades, there were a lot that had kinks in the skirt, so below is a boat tail 223 projectile jammed into a case backwards, makes an excellent tool for sorting this out.

flock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 1:05pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 1:08pm
Sweet. I'll have to give that a go.
Great tip cheers.
flock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 1:54pm
projectile was 8og V max. Discovered the 130g speer hollow point in 308 is possibly even better.
FPM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FPM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 5:48pm
I take the other approach. I either hit or don't hit. I don't bother trying to get sub inch groupings.

I shoot both 22cal pellets and 22lr. I have found both are a bit variable. For example my 22lr has a 5 round mag. I can shoot 4 rounds in a row and hit every time, then pretty much guaranteed the 5th round needs a slightly different aim point or it misses.

One day I might get fanatical but for now am moving towards hunting.

Edited by FPM - 07 Apr 2023 at 5:50pm
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 7:18pm
Still Learning - great title for a post - this one should never end.

Barrel clean possibly justified when new or experiencing undefined issues, I use thousands of pellets through a barrel without cleaning. For airguns I was strongly advised not to by a gunsmith and that was good enough for me. If people feel they must clean barrels then seek advice and never use anything abrasive.

Pellets, quick visual examination prior to loading should be sufficient for 25 yard 1/2 inch group.
Several manufacturers have premium or "match lines" which should improve quality.

Purchase JSB Exact Diablo pellets to reduce concerns about pellets.
Purchase AirArms Diablo Field pellets and eliminate concerns.

Pellet clean, wash, lube, size and weigh all must make a difference but I expect a good visual will pick up most "flyers".

I am sure if I had a flash PCP rifle then I would want to experiment with the controls however to prove or gain accuracy it may be best to select low or mid power and master that first otherwise there are too many variables. Amazing what the UK shooters accomplish with sub 12 ft/lb.

When you decide on pellet and especially head size, grab them when available amazing how long between shipments these days.

Not to sure about notched pellets if accuracy is the goal, great chance for someone do some further comparisons.

cheers

storage tray a great idea after all that effort.

Edited by mercs - 07 Apr 2023 at 8:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic