Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Hunting Gear
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Gun for occasional shooting of possums and smaller
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gun for occasional shooting of possums and smaller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mintjberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun for occasional shooting of possums and smaller
    Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 12:26pm
Hi all,

Looking at purchasing an air rifle for small game - nothing bigger than a possum. It's not going to be used a lot, only for things that venture onto our small lifestyle block.
All up don't really want to spend more than 1k, and this needs to include a scope as well.

I've seen some mixed feedback on the Cometa Fusion - I see there are two variations at airguns.co.nz - the .22 @ $599 and the .177 MK LL @ $649. I assume the .22 is better for possums?

There's also a Sig Sauer ASP20 .177 on Trademe for $850, second hand, would also need to arrange shipping. This will be pushing the budget when including a scope,but can potentially stretch the budget a bit, if it's far better than the Cometa Fusion.

Keen to hear any thoughts / suggestions.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 1:56pm
Myself if you are wanting to shoot possums i would go with .22. They have way better knockdown power. If you are going after bunnies maybe .177 is better as you will get a flatter shot and faster speeds and not as much holdover as a .22

Cometa Fusion are good rifles
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

FPM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FPM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 7:09pm
Hi @mintjberry.

I saw your post over at the NZHS forum and you have received some great advice there.

I recommend something 22 and gas piston. You have said you don't want a Gamo but they are the most powerful no license option I am aware of.

Whatever you choose I recommend at least 24fpe at the muzzle.
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 8:32pm
I was thinking about getting a cometa fusion myself as I had read and been told they are decent rifles.

You can get spring or gas ram variants, I was going to pay the extra for gas ram.  Youngs also sells these
 http://www.youngsairgun.co.nz/product-page/copy-of-crosman-362-multi-pump-pneumatic-rifle (don't ask me why the link says crosman 362, it definitely takes you to the cometa).
It does also list the rifle in .22 on the websites catalogue "COMETA FUSION The Fusion rifles has no open sights .WITH SCOPE $759.00 . (900 fps) ST & S .22 $629.00."

Having never shot a possum with an air rifle I couldn't tell you what calibre and ft'lb's you would need.
Pom that wants to be a kiwi
jwabfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:45am
Hi Elliot, I'm selling the sig on trademe. I know i will sound like a car salesman but the cometas and the sig are worlds apart in quality and accuracy. I've owned a few cometa fusions in 22 and they were all very ordinary in terms of accuracy. The sig has a much nicer trigger and will give superb accuracy. PM if you are interested, I can sell for less direct without the trademe success fees. No pressure or cajoling intended. 
Ralph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 9:08am
Elliot, the Sig is far superior to the Cometa, I have owned 2 Sigs, still have one and is my go to rifle for rabbits. I shoot 10.34gn JSBs and get just on 20FPE, no problem dropping rabbits at 50m. 
Sig Sauer ASP20 .177

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Elliot87 Elliot87 wrote:

Having never shot a possum with an air rifle I couldn't tell you what calibre and ft'lb's you would need.

My go to rifle for possums is my crosman in .22. It is not powerful but it is a tack driver. The more power the more recoil and the less accurate it is because of the recoil. My crosman is only putting out 780fps with H&n FTT pellets. But thats more than enough power to get the job done. Shot placement is the key.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by jwabfrog jwabfrog wrote:

Hi Elliot, I'm selling the sig on trademe. I know i will sound like a car salesman but the cometas and the sig are worlds apart in quality and accuracy. I've owned a few cometa fusions in 22 and they were all very ordinary in terms of accuracy. The sig has a much nicer trigger and will give superb accuracy. PM if you are interested, I can sell for less direct without the trademe success fees. No pressure or cajoling intended. 

Hi, thanks for the offer but I've a rifle on the way from Paul and just bought a cr600w for around the barns.  Neither will be as good as the sig I'm sure but should serve my purposes around here.  Good luck with the sale.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:37pm
It was mintjBerry that was looking at a sig

Edited by kruzaroad - 16 Mar 2023 at 4:38pm
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:39pm
I should have gone back to read the OP and I would have realised he mentioned the sig. Hopefully he comes back on here to see the post.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic