Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which CO2 or multi pump?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 9:48pm
Preset your shooting spots around the barn and get cover in place way before you start shooting. Let them get use to it.
I shot way more starlings here than I ever got on the farm, simply because on the farm I just started shooting in plan sight. They picked up pretty quick what a gun was. Here it's taken them a while mostly because I've always shot from the bathroom.(I have both windows covered off and a drop sheet down one side of window because they set sentries on a tree that could look in from above on that side which I had to stick me head out the window to see. When nesting season comes if you lay off them let them nest and lay, you'll get better results as they have to come back to chick's.
On farm I started in nesting season by fluke, as soon as nesting season was over they split to other trees on the farm. Set up a couple of hides or cover on the opposite side of where your shooting for later on when they get onto you. They will get smart and start coming in from behind cover thats blocking your view. They can get into and out of thier crevice nest at a surprising rate. Way faster than you could aim and shoot.
FPM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FPM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Elliot87 Elliot87 wrote:

FPM, appreciate the recommendation but I am in the process of buying a break barrel from Paul

I have not used a CO2 before but have looked at the numbers. So I would be interested to hear how you go.
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 5:56pm
Good advice Kruz, I've been ready your posts about shooting the starlings and mynas and how challenging it could be.  I used to have similar challenges shooting jackdaws back home. They nested down the chimney and took nestling birds etc. I could walk around the garden all day and they'd sit on top of the chimneys, no sign of them flying off but the first sign of me holding an air rifle and they were off. It got to the point that as soon as they saw me going into the house they'd fly off. In the end I had best results shooting them from a bedroom window, curtains drawn as they fed on the bird feeders.

Not sure how I will get on here as there aren't that many obvious ambush spots but I'm sure I'll get a few initially.
Pom that wants to be a kiwi
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 6:07pm
As for getting a CO2 rifle for the job, I'm torn about what to go for. A 2250 plus modifications or a air chief rapid repeater.
Ron Young has got back to me with prices for various parts.

Steel breech $58
Probe and handle $22
24" barrel $55
2250B $289
Shipping $25

He has the rifle in stock but would have to order in the other parts.  Not sure I would get the 24" as I'd rather have 18" or stick with 14".  So shipped 2250 with steel breech, probe and handle is $394.
It will take time I'm sure to get everything delivered and put together.  Not to mention I would want to order a silencer and silencer adapter at extra cost and time.

On the other hand I could pop to gun city tomorrow and buy a air chief rapid repeater with silencer for $399.  My head says that is what I should do but I just like the idea of the 2250 more.

Is a stock 2250 likely to be less accurate and less powerful than the air chief I wonder?
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 6:39pm
Green shade cloth if you have any. It has to be dark inside so you don't silhouette. I had a lot success with that with just propped up against the fence like a pile. I'd get into it with a single layer where I could see through it, double everywhere else and done in such a way I could push the barrel through where the single and double layers met.one place in it I had a hole in the mesh and put a flap over it.
It they are close you can leave the scope behind the mesh where barrel is poking out. Further away in the branches gets bit to difficult to distinguish them. Scope will be your biggest give away in the end. So less they see it the better. Its why I have camo cloth over mine. But at the end of the day that big lens looking strait at them is pretty noticeable.
However for some reason they have hard time seeing through the shade cloth. Mind you I'd usually have a camo shirt, hat, and fingerless gloves on. But they never picked up on the scope when it was behind the mesh. They occasionally did when I was pushing the scope past the netting.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 7:17pm
Page 14 of "you got to be out there to see" there's a pic of the two hides I was using. One on left tent fly and branches. Had to put a bit of weed cloth up to stop silhouette. As you can see the it's still pretty easy to see in. The starlings could sit up the trees and look in. They also would fly past and look in. One on right shade cloth. That's fully closed you can see the difference.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 7:29pm
I'd skip the 24inch barrel, just turns it into a rifle. Also more weight out past balance point. Can't help you with which one to choose, I haven't used a CR600. If you want to mod your gun at any stage 22xx will have a heap more mods available. Billbob has owned both, he can prob give pros and cons if he reads the post any time soon.
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by kruzaroad kruzaroad wrote:

I'd skip the 24inch barrel, just turns it into a rifle. Also more weight out past balance point. Can't help you with which one to choose, I haven't used a CR600. If you want to mod your gun at any stage 22xx will have a heap more mods available. Billbob has owned both, he can prob give pros and cons if he reads the post any time soon.

Yeah 24" is too long, I'd probably end up cutting it down to 18" and that is extra hassle. Think I'll just read/watch some more reviews for both and see how I feel after that.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 9:05pm
I'm just measured mine and it looks like it's about 14inch. I thought I'd gone for 16 or 18. Anyway at 14inch (it's a 22xx barrel) I finding it way accurate to the distance in shooting.
Give me 5 and ill line it and my two rifles against the wall take a pic so you can compare sizes.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 9:22pm
Butt's are level with board edge, though doesn't look like it.
Same size as 362
Moderator adds 5 1/4 inches approx past where barrel ends in side.

Edited by kruzaroad - 09 Mar 2023 at 9:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic