Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which CO2 or multi pump?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which CO2 or multi pump?
    Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 12:33am
Just looking for recomendations and your opinions on a few different CO2 or multi pump air rifles for small bird and rat pest control.

So I will have my main hunting rifle soon but in the process of buying a scope for it, I accidently bought a second scope on trademe.  I bid $41 on a new Gamo 4x32 scope (rrp $119), thinking that with almost 2 days to go and the previous high bid $40 it was bound to go higher but I was wrong.  I was mainly just seeing how the bidding on trademe worked as I hadn't bid before, oh well.

In any case I'm left with a 4x32 scope that I doubt will hold up to use on a springer long term, despite being air rated.  So that got me thinking, it might be good on a CO2 rifle like the Air chief rapid repeater, where recoil won't be an issue and shots would be fairly close so 4x would be plenty.  The use would be sparrows and starlings around the barn and thought the right CO2 or multi pump might be quieter than a gamo CF-S and would be more forgiving to shooting from various rests and different holds.

So I'm considering these (but open to recommendations):
Air chief rapid repeater .22 CO2
Crosman rifle 2250B .22 CO2
Crosman 1077 .177 CO2
Cannon 737.177 multipump
Cannon 737L (longer barrel) multipump

The cannon multipump looks great and is affordable and I believe more powerful than the CO2 rifles unmodified but I worry about its accuracy/consistency.
The air chief I would assume is the best of the CO2 options but a bit pricey for a low powered rifle.
I like the idea of the 1077 but don't know how accurate it is likely to be?

For those who have used one or more of these rifles, what are your thoughts? I value accuracy first, noise second and power (including ability to modify for more power) third.  I don't expect amazing quality from any of them but decent quality would be nice.

Pom that wants to be a kiwi
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 9:57am
If you are going to be using it for pest control on very small animals i would be leaning towards a C02 multishot  as you have a second shot right away if you miss with the first shot and not have to worry about pumping the multipump. Power will not make any difference with sparrows and rats as C02 will have more than enough power for that
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 11:39am
From my experience with the 1322 which I've basically turned into a pump action 2250b inadvertently, it's an awsome gun. I use it out to 25m with great accuracy and have shot out to 29m with same result.
I'm assuming the build quality will be about the same. That's not great. But it's accurate as. Mods are plentyful. Trigger will need some work polishing the sears. It's not a great trigger. Plastic breech is absolute crap and needs to be replaced with a steel one ASAP. ( if you go this route and can't get one in a hurry I have a spare one and extended bolt Probe for a project on the back burners due to flooding affecting my work)
Its a daily shooter. Light, short accurate it's a pleasure.
My personal prefrance is pump as its not dependent on anything else for power. Way the world is going I would well imagine that CO2 cylinders will be an issue at some stage ( pure speculation)
From my experiance you with pump there will be times that a target will bugger off before you have repumped, but it's not that often. If your shooting the same area the birds will wise up and they bugger off when you shoot
Pump actions will create noise as you pump. I've put a bit of stick on velcro on mine which dampens the sound but doesn't get rid of it. Not such an issue with birds, but I imagine rats would pick up on it.
I'm running a gamo scope 4 to 9 mag which I leave at 7x.
This mornings first shot on basically the same platform as 2250b at 24m

Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by nunga nunga wrote:

If you are going to be using it for pest control on very small animals i would be leaning towards a C02 multishot  as you have a second shot right away if you miss with the first shot and not have to worry about pumping the multipump. Power will not make any difference with sparrows and rats as C02 will have more than enough power for that

I am leaning towards CO2multishot for that reason but kruz does make a couple of good points in favour of the multipumps. Having to have a ready supply of CO2 and also potential drops in power with temperature have always put me off them in the past.

On another note, are you still selling replacement triggers for Gamo CFX's? I believe they would also fit the gamo CF-S I'm buying from Pauly5. I'll see how the trigger is for myself first before deciding if it could do with replacing but it would be good to know if you are still able to supply them.

Thanks
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by kruzaroad kruzaroad wrote:

From my experience with the 1322 which I've basically turned into a pump action 2250b inadvertently, it's an awsome gun. I use it out to 25m with great accuracy and have shot out to 29m with same result.
I'm assuming the build quality will be about the same. That's not great. But it's accurate as. Mods are plentyful. Trigger will need some work polishing the sears. It's not a great trigger. Plastic breech is absolute crap and needs to be replaced with a steel one ASAP. ( if you go this route and can't get one in a hurry I have a spare one and extended bolt Probe for a project on the back burners due to flooding affecting my work)
Its a daily shooter. Light, short accurate it's a pleasure.
My personal prefrance is pump as its not dependent on anything else for power. Way the world is going I would well imagine that CO2 cylinders will be an issue at some stage ( pure speculation)
From my experiance you with pump there will be times that a target will bugger off before you have repumped, but it's not that often. If your shooting the same area the birds will wise up and they bugger off when you shoot
Pump actions will create noise as you pump. I've put a bit of stick on velcro on mine which dampens the sound but doesn't get rid of it. Not such an issue with birds, but I imagine rats would pick up on it.
I'm running a gamo scope 4 to 9 mag which I leave at 7x.
This mornings first shot on basically the same platform as 2250b at 24m

I have always toyed with the idea of getting a 1322 or 1377 asthey look like good fun.

Do you know what fpe you get from yours at the typical number of pumps you use?  Is it easy to source a stock for it and other parts?
The cannon 737l is appealing as it is currently the best part of $100 cheaper than a 1322 from youngs and perhaps would need less in the way of mods but I've not investigated that in any depth yet.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 3:16pm
Fps/fpe in here.
http://www.kiwiairgunners.co.nz/forum_posts.asp?TID=689

Edited by kruzaroad - 04 Mar 2023 at 3:16pm
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 4:37pm
Gamo 4x32 for $40 cannot go wrong, standard package with their springers, focal length is set for air rifle distances and usable at 10 - 40 metres. Can take a bit of recoil on low to mid-power springers.
The AO version does not cost much more and I think all that is required for backyard. I have had good durable service from both types on rifles up to 15 ft/lbs.

Crosman 1077 - not for what you are planning.
Low power backyard plinker only.
Very lightweight and mainly plastic with multi-shot magazine which is the only interesting bit.
I will post a review.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 5:47pm
Kruza has shown us the way with his 1322 - like the bloody pied piper I expect many will follow.

Air Chief Rapid Repeater I have watched one of these do very nicely at 20 yard targets proving to be very accurate. The .22 should perform better than .177 on CO2. I am not a fan of the magazines.

CO2 $2 - 2.50 per capsule
Summer 25-30 shots
Winter 10 -15 shots

Crosman 2240/50 great support out there plus wide knowledge on this forum. Mine are used regularly all year round. You get very adept at reloading a single shot. (New will be approx $300, do not buy off trademe at inflated prices, happy to recommend a trusted supplier)
Carbines morph into something like mine pictured below and in reality you can easily spend $1000 on modifications so an Umarex M2 or Hammerli 850 will do all and more without touching a spanner.
Hammerli use 88 gramme capsule $30 for 160 shots.

However if you can shoot open sights straight out of the box the Crosman are great value and easily deserve the nickname "rat catcher".

Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 4:39pm
I think the gamo scope was adecent bargain even though I didn't really need it. The costly part will be if I do look at getting a second rifle to put it on.  I really should just see how I get on with the gamo CF-S first but this forum is proving to be a bad influence on me.

I've ruled ont the 1077, it does look like its only good for a bit of plinking fun.

I'd love to follow what Kruza has done but or something similar with a 2250 but I don't currently have the knowledge or tools to do this but both could be aquired over time.  One problem I have is I don't know how much time I have in NZ as I still need to secure a work visa to stay beyond the beginning of 2024.  I'd be loathed to invest a lot of time and money into a project and have to leqave it behind.

I would be interested in getting a 2250, fitting the steel breech (assuming they come with the plastic one) and perhaps a longer barrel with the means to attach a silencer. An accurate, quiet little carbine, shooting around 8fpe would be ideal where I am currently. Who would you recommend as a supplier and do you also have a recommended supplier for upgrade parts?

Some of the multipumps are still tempting though.  I almost bought a 1377 back in the UK for a bit of fun.
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 4:52pm
EDITED:
Does anyone know if the crosman 2250XL is available in NZ? It comes with a longer 18inch barrel which ought to increase velocity I would have thought and this is threaded for a silencer. It also comes as standard with a steel breech from what I've read.  I know where I can get one from my old local gun dealer in England but a quick google didn't bring up results over here.

Edited by Elliot87 - 05 Mar 2023 at 5:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic