Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gamo G Magnums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gamo G Magnums
    Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 6:18pm
The Gamo Magnum is packaged in a variety of ways but at the heart is an oversized piston chamber and an Inert Gas Ram. I look forward to other owners postings. We should be able to dispel a few misbeliefs and commiserate each other on the harsh reality of Gamo Magnums.

They will never be described as smooth and probably represent the less desirable features provided by todays mass market airgun manufacturers.

Mine is the .22 G Magnum Replay and purchased because it is possibly the most powerful  break barrel available from retail outlets. Purchased in 2019 it came packaged with scope for $625.
Great fun out of the box and always gets a sideways look from other air gunners when fired.

Greater than 1000 pellets and it remains trouble free, just went over it today and not even a loose screw, basic annual lube maintenance only.

This rifle is an effective 40 yard hunter and along with the packaged scope has performed as expected.
I will of course post some performance and user experience reports but will start with:

Rifle is long with a very heavy cocking force and recoil is a workout, not for everybody and in my opinion an unlikely choice as a first airgun.

Replay Magazine and Pellets - I use H&N Hunter Extreme and trust them to stay in place and load when walking about. When trialling different pellets and uncertain I use the magazine as a portable pellet store. Insert, load, check pellet count and remove before firing. Some pellets can fallout when loading and a misfire on the magnums is violent and very loud so best avoided. The Gamo 10x pellets were not a good option in my magazines and disappointing when they failed to load correctly. Hopefully the GenII and GenIII loaders are less fussy. The Loader unit is easily removed and stored away which I have done recently to trial different scope configurations.

Gamo in original setup with packaged 3-9x40 scope and 10 shot magazine.

This weeks experiment Gamo trial with loader removed

Nikko Stirling 3-9x40 and Diana Zero Recoil Mount

Edited by mercs - 26 Feb 2023 at 7:09pm
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 1:05am
The rifle looks much more sleek in its new setup.  I liked the idea of the 10 shot magazine when I first looked at the newer gamo rifles but they don't lend themselves to an attractive rifle.

I moved from single shot springers to multishot pcp's for pest control and the benifit of a quick follow up shot was huge. I got far more doubles on squirrels, if I missed (hit a twig) or the critter needed a follow up shot it was much easier. It was not just the speed of a follow up but the lack of additional noise and movement to reload.

I did briefly have a single shot pcp, I thought that I would be able to quickly slip a second pellet in without much fuss and get those follow up shots still. But it turns out seating a pellet in the breach of a pcp was trickier than a break barrel, so I went back to multishots.

My concern with the multishot gamo's and BSA's is that you still have the noise and movement of cocking the rifle and that is what oftne prevents a follow up, not the ease of loading the next pellet.  So although the idea is good, I don't think it would be nearly as benificial as the quick, quiet follow up shots from a pcp.

Basically that's a long way of saying I doubt I would miss the multishot capabilities on a similar rifle and would look to set it up like you have it now.  Did you find the multishot helped much for quicker follow up shots?
Pom that wants to be a kiwi
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 7:56am
when I had my mag fed gamo, I found the mag an advantage. Espially quail where you often get a shot at a second bird. Mag feeder was damaging pellets so it came off.
 My next question is if the gamo mercs mentions is an effective 45yard hunter, why do you want a magium for that range. The tx smoked everything out to that range with nowhere near the fpe of a magium and none of extra movement. 
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 6:15pm
Hey Kruza, when you mentioned the damage your loader caused I checked the magnum and lower powered replay 10 for signs of pellet damage, which is the great part of sharing on the forum.

Power and accuracy. I agree these are over the top and would take take my 20ft/lb Gamo Black Knight or Sig saucer ASP20 out hunting before this beast any day.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 6:17pm
Chronograph Results for the G Magnum

GamoMagnum replay .22
Pellet BrandH&NH&N
Pellet typeFTTBHE
Average fps950816
Grains14.6619.09
Grammes0.951.21
foot pounds29.3928.23
Joules39.8438.28

FTT Field Target Trophy
BHE Baracuda Hunter Extreme

Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 6:21pm
I too was suprised when you said was a 45 yard hunter, as that is around the max range I would should squirrels with my sub 12ft/lb .177.  I know some folks using range finders and better optics than me would take squirrels and rabbits out to about 60yards with sub 12 air rifles.  

I'd like a high powered air rifle for sure but I will probably save that for a pcp, I doubt I'd be any good with a high powered springer or would at least need a lot of practice!
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 6:30pm
So what is use of magnium. If its over powered for the range its acurate at, not powerful enough to take larger game at close range.
That I think is the gamo issue, more power than needed for its accuracy range, but its what they push.
Its like one guy on the Web who pushes gamo. Shoots inch and a half groups plus at over 50m and goes on about it being pretty accurate, and happy with that size group at that range. You got to be kidding me, no target shooter would be happy with that, no one shooting animals at that range with a air rifle should be taking the chance of hitting the right spot with grouping that wide.
Not to say they don't make some good guns. Still think I'd go bsa if I had to go the gamo route these days.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 6:36pm
Earlier Times
During NZ lockdown I went out with grandson and got into some comparisons straight out of the gun locker.
We kept scope magnifications to the lower end to reduce any advantage from optics.

We set several targets with an average distance of 47 yards to represent a genuine shot for rabbits.
Targets included metal reseting bird, metal swing set, 5 inch target and 2 inch shoot N.C.
All shots observed easily using Stealth spotting scope providing immediate feedback to the shooters.
Very strong and changeable wind right to left and we could not seem to overcome it using .177 rifles.

Winner on the day Gamo replay -10 Magnum (29ft/ilbs muzzle energy)
Totally wasted in the backyard - standout at this range and these conditions

Biggest surprise of the day was the lower powered Gamo replay-10. (14ft/lbs)
We could both readily make scoring shots with this unit

1. Crosman Blaze .177 one piece mount with gamo 4x32
H&N FTT
Pellet still hitting with force but I was unable to make any scoring hits in the wind

2. Gamo .22 replay-10 gamo rings with stealth 4x40
Webley VMX
Immediately on target, able to repeat and make bullseye. (unexpected at this distance)
Had been recently zeroed at 15 and then 25 yards following scope swap
Grandson spent a lot of time with this one, effort = reward when using this rifle

3. Gamo .22 Replay-10 Magnum (2nd most powerful) one piece mount with packaged Gamo 4-9x40 set at magnification 4
H&N crow magnum (previously on hunter extreme)
Immediately on target for both of us
New pellet type designed for 30 metres and scope was previously set for 25 yards
Much smoother than when new - step above all others under these conditions - did not need windage consideration

4. My new Sig .177 ASP20 with dampa mount and Stealth 4-12x40 set at magnification 4
H&N baracuda 
Needed 1/2 turn windage adjustment but only 3 clicks of height adjustment which I thought was a good sign
Good power, with scoring shots but unable to obtain 1 inch group
Look forward to a still day and increasing the magnification
End of the day ran some lighter weight FTT sniper medium through and we had some excellent results

5. Gamo .22 Black Knight one piece mount with Gamo 3-9x40 AO set for 15-25 yards set at magnification 4
H&N FTT
No real success at this distance using mil-dot corrections and did not want to alter existing turret settings as all set for spotlighting.

6. Hatsan 135 .30 standard sights (supposedly most powerful break barrel manufactured)
Diablo 44 grain
Hit with a good smack, not on the target but cool all the same

A good session and a distance that needs mastering
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 6:50pm
Wind is a huge deal I have found with .177. At the UK powers I favoured .177 for its flat trajectory. In calm conditions that makes it very forgiving if I misjudged ranges on squirrels. As I was often shooting in woodland, I'd head for the more sheltered side (as would the squirrels) and still have great success.  But when I have used a comparable .22 (AA S410) it handled the wind better and was still a fantastic accurate tool for the job.  I think if I was shooting rabbits out on exposed pastures, I may have leaned more towards .22

I'm looking forward to using some more powerful .22 air rifles, to see how their trajectory compares to the .177's I'm used to.

I just bought a stand up crow target and a 5 spinner target (4 below and 1 reset) for $30 on fb marketplace, so looking forward to having some similar fun to the session you described.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 12:02pm
More pronounced arc would be about it.
Having a 177 after 22 I prefure the 22 for hunting. Mildot scope made all the difference.
I find the 177 taking a lot of getting use too. Don't find that the trajectory any easier to shoot with than a 22, once you have your hold over sorted.
177 moves way more in wind and I'm finding that's actually a bit of an issue as its more sensitive to small channels of wind blowing between gaps. Has lot more effect on pellet.
Also not that keen on impact, 177 seem to punch through more often which is not desirable, creates less shock. However accurate shot placement and I think the penitration ability of 177 out preforms 22. That's due to them not expanding much.
I'd say a good scope and actually dialing the windage and holdover would be advantageous over holding it over through scope. I use holdover and trying to hold the exact place somewhere else on the scope I think takes more time.
I've also found that an accurate 22 with moderate power works fine. I'd be looking at something that still has enough power at 60m (which is about the range that hares let me get to, in open paddock after shooting them for a while) but able to take a head shot out to 80m.
At those distances accuracy far out ways to much power.
Which is why its a shame my gamo didn't preform at those ranges, it was by far the easiest gun to tote around for hours on end on farm.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic