Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > New to airguns? > Tips and things to look out for
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FPE needed to kill various animals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulo.baronceli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FPE needed to kill various animals
    Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 8:40pm
Found this on another forum and thought about sharing it here. They all seem a bit low to me, but what are your thoughts?

I would add, just by my own experience (probs all wrong!):

Small/Medium Turkey: 20FPE
Big Turkey: 25FPE
Magpie: 12FPE
Black Bird: 6FPE
Small Mice: 0.65FPE head only (I did it with a plastic BB pistol at 2m ish!!)
Rat: 4FPE

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 10:27pm
I just work off under 5fpe is out.
6 fpe is enough to punch into a skull on small critters. ( pass on possums never had the pleasure of air rifling one)
Body shots in happy around 10fpe
On the sig that's about 70m.
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 11:14am
Originally posted by paulo.baronceli paulo.baronceli wrote:

Found this on another forum and thought about sharing it here. They all seem a bit low to me, but what are your thoughts?

The quoted minimum FPE would be the retained energy down range required for efficient kill - not energy measured at the muzzle.

So for an 18FPE air rifle, 5fpe is probably the retained energy out at 80yards, so its useful to know the energy required for a clean kill, as well as the ballistic info for your gun / pellet combo so you can judge the safe distance you can stretch to dependent on the animal.
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 11:30am
So what would be the fpe for a possum?
I know dam well that Ive head shot a possum with a 22 sub, it's dropped from the tree and had a swip at me when ive gone to get get.
Read a few posts that recon if you throat shoot it works well.
Whats ppls actual experiance with possums? I'll be heading out some time this year to shoot few in a differnt area and could do with a few real life experiance on the subject, to avoid taking shots that might only injure
( Though from my experiance a wounded possum will often head down the tree)
paulo.baronceli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulo.baronceli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by J-S J-S wrote:

Originally posted by paulo.baronceli paulo.baronceli wrote:

The quoted minimum FPE would be the retained energy down range required for efficient kill - not energy measured at the muzzle.

So for an 18FPE air rifle, 5fpe is probably the retained energy out at 80yards, so its useful to know the energy required for a clean kill, as well as the ballistic info for your gun / pellet combo so you can judge the safe distance you can stretch to dependent on the animal.

You're dead right, although the muzzle energy can also be a good indicator. The deceleration is exponential after a certain distance, but before then the retained energy drop isn't substantial. Of course it will vary a lot depending on a number of factors - pellet weight, wind, etc, etc - but I still believe that muzzle energy can be a good quick indicator for someone that doesn't want to get too technical about it.

Maybe the other forum's post referred to the energy retained at the target, not muzzle, which would explain the lower than expected - at least for me - numbers.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by kruzaroad kruzaroad wrote:

So what would be the fpe for a possum?
I know dam well that Ive head shot a possum with a 22 sub, it's dropped from the tree and had a swip at me when ive gone to get get.
Read a few posts that recon if you throat shoot it works well.
Whats ppls actual experiance with possums? I'll be heading out some time this year to shoot few in a differnt area and could do with a few real life experiance on the subject, to avoid taking shots that might only injure
( Though from my experiance a wounded possum will often head down the tree)

Ive been shooting Possums for years. around 19pfe to the head  or chest will do the trick, But with possums shot placement is the key, even more so than other animals. You can shoot a possum 5 or 6 times in the body and it will get up give you the finer then run away. They are very hard to kill and not good to leave them like that as it will be a slow and painful death. So head shots or chest  for possums
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 3:17pm
That will give me 15m on the sig. 1322 not at all. Haven't sorted the 362 for pellet yet but I'd suppect 10m-15range.
Cheers Nunga, that's info I'll store away.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 5:42pm
Agree with Nunga head or chest.
I use .22 Gamo Black Knight 21 ft/lb on H&N FTT.

Hi Paulo, I would like to hear about your BSA Spitfire and does the Umarex SurgeMax rail work?

cheers
paulo.baronceli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulo.baronceli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by mercs mercs wrote:

Agree with Nunga head or chest.
I use .22 Gamo Black Knight 21 ft/lb on H&N FTT.

Hi Paulo, I would like to hear about your BSA Spitfire and does the Umarex SurgeMax rail work?

cheers

Is there anything specific you’re wanting to know about the Spitfire? I found it to be quite a good gun, and probably amongst the most accurate in my collection - quite beautiful too. If I was to be extremely critical, the gun is quite heavy - maybe part of why it’s so accurate - quicks a bunch, and is very noisy, as my one is the muzzle-break version with no thread for a suppressor, but overall, no regrets for buying it, I really enjoy the rifle and can surely recommend it - a lot of value for your money. It’s the same as the BSA Lightning, but with the Gamo 10 shot mag and a different barrel finish.

The rail on the SurgeMax is a normal 20mm picatinny. If you’re thinking about buying it, I would surely say that unless you get a very good deal, you can probably do better with your money. It’s quite a heavy and powerful rifle too, but it is rough as guts. Quite clunky and the rear stock is full metal, which makes it quite cold to use in the winter, and I don’t know if that’s because I don’t use it much, but even lubricating it often, the barrel break is quite tough and don’t feel as smooth. I’ve heard good things about the Stoeger RX20 (Or S4000 in the USA), which is in the same price range, but seems to be a much better gun.

Edited by paulo.baronceli - 10 Jan 2023 at 6:43pm
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 8:41pm
I had a BSA spitfire that I modded. Came to me without the mag. I absolutely loved the feel of the rifle and shot .22 H&N terminator pellets very accurately. It destroyed a hawke scope and I sold it off to fund another project and missed it ever since
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic