Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are you mildot ranging?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:11pm
What thermal unit you using Pete? 

I have used an LE 032 add on with my digital NV. It works well because I can see the ranging IR splash. In theory if you know where in your picture it is ranging, you could use something like that.

You can see it here in this video, its the camo coloured thing on the side of my scope.

https://youtu.be/gPSjH-mmQUg
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 8:16am
Hi Paul,
It’s a Pulsar Thermion something something 50.
Amazing unit. I know there is a version 2 now out, but I think this one is still amazing.
There are different reticles I can choose from, the one I use seems to act like a FFP.
I keep it at 16x mag (picture in picture) and try to use the dots as a range finder against the size of a rabbits head.
I’m not sure if the dots are spaced exactly the same as mil dots, but I’m trying to find out about “the principle” of ranging with mil dots and see if I can adapt it to this thermal.
I do have another “normal” optical scope which has little lines (not dots) and I believe they are correctly space for mil dots. I’ll play around with that one too and see if I can make sence of it all 😂
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 8:45am
Try this for mdot ranging explanation
https://www.targettamers.com/rifle-scopes/mil-dot-explained/

A search under "ranging using mildot" will bring up heaps of articals.and videos also moa as well.
Your scope Manuel should tell you what your using if not try a.search using your the full name and Make of your scope with the word retical after it.
Should bring up details I found two that had 50 in the name but wasn't sure what yours was. Also one discontinued one as well. There is a nice gun, scope, and torch and mount for the price of those scopes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 8:43pm
I agree 😂 the price of those thermal scopes is crazy!
Unfortunately it’s not mine, it belongs to my boss, he just lets me use it, lucky me 😉
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 8:45pm
Good boss to have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 8:09pm
He’s a top guy 👍🏻
And he loves his FX’s too! He’s got about 6 impacts 😂😂😂
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 8:27pm
I should imagine the pcps are pretty addictive. I've always hoped there would be more tech talk about pcps on this site. With the amount of adjustment that can be done to them, sleeve liners, differnt pellets at differnt psi, differnt charging actions, scopes that would be awsome on pcp but to much for springers etc it would be great to read what ppl are up too
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 9:24am
Yea pcp's get talked about a lot, and the FX ones have so many add ons and tuning capabilities that get discussed.
I've got an impact mk2, and I got it because I was fascinated with the impact when it first came out. The ability to tune it without opening it up appealed too.  I had tuned other guns, but got sick of degassing, adjusting, testing etc.
Springers are great though, and really are the backbone of airgunning I reckon.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 9:50am
Really you have to degas some models!
Never realised that. That would suck.
Sounds totally impractical.
So was that just the older models or is still something to still be aware of in the newer models.
I vaguely rember seeing something about being able to tension barrel liners/sleeves as well? I tend to flick articals pcp as I don't own one.
Is that correct as well. It makes scence that if you could you'd want a way to tune your barrel. Well something better than an o ring on the barrel anyway.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 12:07pm
FX have really pioneered that over the last few years.
Barrel liners allowing you to change calibres, but because everything moves, tensioning the barrel became important. Ironically People are now machining std barrels to fit.

The impact has three external adjustment points, going from major to minor. All adjustable without degassing the gun.
1. regulator
2. hammer tension (course and fine adjustments)
3. valve return adjustment

I have retro fitted regulators to different pcp's, fx cyclone, AA S510, AA EV2, and if they need adjusting, the gun needs to be degassed, so unless you have a custom reg tester, you only know the pressure when you regass the gun.

With the impact you can do everything right down to harmonic tuning with the valve adjuster externally.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic