Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are you mildot ranging?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are you mildot ranging?
    Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 11:02am
How many ppl are using their mildot scopes for ranging? It seems to me that everyone is going for range finders these days.
Is range finding off a scope a thing of the past for most?
Its a simple formula 10x target size ÷ by mildots.
Animal sizes can be found all over the Web.
This is mildot not moa
Espially useful on farms if you work out post, batten, pigtail and warratah size (waratah are wider on hole side than other size) it vertually turns the farm into measurable distances for shooting.
Below is starling at 21cm high and my in pocket hare ranges for hunting.
You do need to be able to rest gun at longer distances for measuring.
Are range finders that much more convenient for this propose?

Edited by kruzaroad - 07 Jan 2023 at 11:03am
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 8:45pm
I did start using this method along time ago but ended up getting a cheap range finder off AliExpress
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 9:23pm
So what would a rabbits head be at 50m?
Just the head, not including ears.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 9:31pm
Why range finder broken?
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 9:32pm
Or do you just want the head size which is about 8cm. The formula is above
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 9:44pm
That's length, height of ears is about the same. A hare is 10cm wide, ears about the same. You'll have to judge if it's young or fully mature as there will be a size difference and make slight adjustments on where you hold which may be just above or below your aim point and is usually not much at 50m. I just guess that. Seems to work.
Ears standing up are more reliable as height is not affected by angle, where as a turned head is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 8:10am
Just about all the rabbit shooting I do is at night with a thermal scope, which makes it very difficult to judge distance. With a pcp range is important and pellets drop quickly from 50m and out.
I’ve been trying to work out a ranting method using the size of the rabbits head against the reticle, which has dots on it. Magnification of the scope/reticle obviously needs to be kept constant for it to work.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 9:11am
Set to 10x mag for mildot ranging. My advice would be to work out the mildot distance then set out a 8cm target at various distances (I did every 5m for hares) and scope them up and write down actual mildots as you see them. (I used an actual hares head on a post for this) I also divided the distance between two mildots mentally into quarters but also 1/3, 2/3 for quick recognition. Any thing less than those I personally find to small to recognise.
The further out your ranging the more critical the right reading is.
I shoot out to 60m so not to far.
Its also why it's a good idea to shoot the actual distances to see what the drop is in reality compared to paper.
I would like to get a differnt scope with a busier retical for this reason.
On the tx I had it pretty sussed out.
I haven't spent as much time as I should have on the sig sorting this out.
I use the mildots to get me on range then fine tune from experiance with the gun.
This is for mildot not moa though there is a way to calculate for moa to turn onto mdot measurement.
I have been donated a range finder by billbob and will try it out properly at some stage. As of this far I've only used it for ranging off markers prior to going shooting at night and birds in trees (which weren't on areas I can shoot) I can see the range finder coming into its own for birds as it will give me the actual strait line distance. For possums I've just held 4 mildots under on average for the sig.
With the 1322 it's usually hold over, it doesn't have a mildot retical and pellets drops very fast.

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 9:23am
Sorry its turn your mdot into moa and its for scopes with mildot retical and moa turrets.
Which happens to be my hawk scope.
I don't dial distamce on my scope so have never tried it but heres the video
https://youtu.be/URsKv-deAm4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 11:38am
I’ve never “dialed” turrets, never had a scope that could do that.
I’ve always just worked out what the drops were at each distance, made my self a little cheat sheet, estimated (or used a range finder) and held over. Always worked for me, dropped countless mynas and squirrels.
But now shooting mostly at night for rabbits, my range finder dosent work in the dark. (We it does, but I cant see jack 😂).
So learning how to range with mill dots in the thermal will be very useful 👍🏻
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic