Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Zero Tech Rifle Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zero Tech Rifle Scopes
    Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 9:59pm
After noting that Ralph uses the Zero Tech Brand on his Sig ASP20 rifles and shared further information from other users I decided to take another look at the local sports shop in Stratford where they have been available for some time. There was an extensive warranty offer and after a little research on-line it was an easy choice to run a couple of these scopes through their paces over the next few months.

Planned use: Target shooting
Generally the most popular scope at the local range are the Nikko Stirling Diamond models but these are normally over $500 and have become difficult to source. My self imposed price limit of $200 to $300 would have to be put aside if I was going to acquire a side focus version of any named brand.

My requirements:
1 inch tube
Side focus
Power above x9
Durability
Repeatable results

Zero Tech Vengeance 3-12x40 ($350)

Nicely boxed with good foam supports so scope can be expected to arrive in good order. A perfectly useful manual was provided, along with a lens cloth and hex key for the turrets. Recommended torque settings for mounting rings were available and could not recall seeing that from the manufacturers in this price bracket. (22 - 25 inch pounds)

Lifetime warranty clearly stated on the box "Any Owner, Any Problem, Always covered".

Scope felt solid and definitely no lightweight, immediately liked the turrets and the locking feature seemed to function well.

I wear glasses so dioptre adjustment at the eye piece is a must and was achieved easily and covered well in the user manual.

Parallax is important and was specified as usable down to 15 metres, this checked out and would be workable for 20 - 25 yard targets and or possum up a tree.

Full power, no noticeable distortion at x12.

All movements checked thoroughly and repeatedly and scope is starting to stack up well.

It will be used on my Sig ASP20 springers at 20ft/lb and I look forward to reporting on progress.

Several hundred shots to date with some respectable 30 metre target groups and still working on 50 metres and beyond.

Also looking forward to arrival of Zero tech 4.5-18x40 1 inch tube side focus and getting that one on the range.

chopsuey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopsuey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 11:38pm
Thanks mercs for that review. Have seen them before and wondered how they would perform.
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 8:02am
That sounds like very good value Mercs - thanks for the review.

Does the reticule have lots of mildots below centre for longer range shooting?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 4:32pm
Almost every scope model has a different reticle, not much choice in the 1 inch tube range.
I doubt they envisaged their scopes being used on airguns.

all info from zerotech.co.nz

They call this zeroplex available with the 3-12x40 scope.
Provides 3 usable reference points and made some sense when zeroed at 30 metres.

This is called PHR available with 4.5-18x40 scope.
Definitely has some interesting markings and they have blank reticle range charts to download.
I checked out a similar reticle in store and thought they looked to be quite useable.

Extract from ZT website

Indexed in MOA, the PHR mimics a more traditional hunting reticle with the addition of some modern advancements.

A floating centre cross allows for a refined point of aim whilst losing none of the ‘pointability’ of a traditional hunting reticle.

Unobtrusive elevation holds are available at 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 MOA, allowing the shooter to maximise the potential of their rifle and ammunition combination.

mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 10:07pm
ZeroTech 4.5-18x40 ($430) arrived in good condition and well packaged again.
Nice and clear and in the evening light really worked well for my close in work at 15 - 50 metres.
Set up was easy as swapped out with the 3-12x40 on .22Sig ASP20
Nice to have some MOA markings on reticle and look forward to dialling them in as usable reference points.

All set up at 30 metres with a couple of target examples below.
At initial use I did prefer magnification 16 or less but will persevere at 18 when possible.

JSB Match Diabolo Jumbo Express 0.930 grammes 14.35 grains 5.52mm

Right to left drift for some reason no discernible breeze.

Ideal conditions early evening.
First pellet in bull then progressively upwards.
Pellet RWS Super Field 15.9 grains 1.03gramme 5.51mm

Edited by mercs - 27 Jan 2023 at 10:09pm
CuteRabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 2:03am
Embarrassedwhat price? maybe even more expensive than my Stalker Jr. Air Rifle ($149) LoL
Squirrel goes Vege

@Crosman Benjamin Ironhide .22 Nitro Piston Elite
@Umarex Surgemax .177 Gas Ram 1000fps
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 8:31am
Great info mercs cheers.
From your comment, " I doubt they envisaged their scopes being used on airguns." would I be right in assuming the scopes arnt rated for springers?
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:11pm
Airgun rating never clearly stated but Ralph found a springer test review posted on the ZeroTech website.
Warranty states "any problem" however I have used the SportsMatch Dampa mount for shock protection.

No surprise with weather today, practice session on indoor 25 yard range.
ZeroTech 4.5-18x40 SF was initially high and right when starting on the centre practice target.
5 clicks left and 5 clicks down and a few single clicks as i went through the different targets.
I have changed to AirArms Diablo Field 16 grains 5.52mm from RWS Super Field 15.9 grain 5.51mm.

Sig .22 break barrel
25 yards bench rest
ZeroTech scope set at x18
AirArms pellets
Self scored at 172/200

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:20pm
What's your verdict?
You know you gun best and how you were shooting.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 7:18pm
Very interested to keep working with AirArms Pellets.

Scope
Yes to extra $80 for increase from 12-18 power plus MOA marking on reticle.
Yes to side focus.
Yes to locking turrets.
Yes to warranty.

I would prefer MOA or mildot on the 3-12x40 model, but expect others appreciate the clean look of duplex.

Less than 1 months use but hundreds of pellets, many other brands would have failed before now.

ZeroTech rifle scopes appear well up to Airgun use.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic