Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sig Sauer ASP20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 9:46am
I found on the gamo the bipod was actually really good for standing shots. It gave a much better grip when legs were folded back. Never any good of my table.(but that was pre barrel change) Think gun was to light and piston hit to hard.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 10:58am
Is it just me, or do you others find that the sig is prone to surface rusting. I'm finding that if I don't oil the barrel nearly every time I use
it the surface rust appears. Also had some show up under barrel seal.
I'm hoping that eventually it will stop with oiling.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 1:30pm
Corrosion is very disappointing, barrel has a "nitron" coating and if done properly should be very durable.

I will keep an eye out for any deterioration and clean then oil more regularly.
Must admit mine have never been out in the rain and after spotlighting I wipe down with Ballistol to get rid of any dust or moisture.

ex airgun depot website "The metal surfaces of the gun are ferritic nitrocarburized, which isn't a coating that can wear off; instead, it is a sort of case-hardening process which toughens the metal and makes it resistant to scuffs and oxidation".
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 2:18pm
It seems that it should stop corrosion. both times its happened it basically wiped off. But I've caught it rather fast.
Have just read up on it ( cheers for pointing me in direction mercs)
Now wondering what metal they use for the barrel!
I am guilty of getting back from night shoots and have to skin stuff, so just put the gun away. Better start wiping it down first.
The crossman barrels/recievers were the same but a few oils seemed to stop it.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 9:39pm
50 metre Sig on Sig this evening.
The .22 by far the best group but .177 scored 1 point higher.
I had previously set up the .177 then grabbed the .22 from the gun safe before packing up for the day, go figure.

Gamo card target has 13mm bull and 130mm outer ring.
Analysis using Target Scan App
Calculation set for .177

50 metre with .177 Sig ASP20
Sig Air Dagger pellets 0.67 gramme
Scope Zero Tech 3-12x40SF set to max 12
Rested on bipod
Max spread 31.4mm
Mean radius 16mm

50 metre with .22 Sig ASP20
RWS Superfield pellets 1.03 gramme
Scope Tasco 4-9x40AO set to max 9
Rested on bag
Max spread 14.4mm
Mean radius 6.6mm

Edited by mercs - 29 Dec 2022 at 9:41pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 10:23pm
Well the 177 definitely is just a hunting group though quite a wide spread. ( Though way better than a couple of 60m groups I shot today)
The 22 is great grouping bit of hold over to the right and that group would have smashed a 1nch kill zone.
I wasn't happy with the sig pellets in my particular gun.
Have a tin and half of 177 if you want them.
Though the 1/2 tin was ransacked for 5.50mm.
Were you getting tighter groups with the barracuda?
All said and done for 50m I think it's good grouping. Apart from the tx, don't think any of the other guns I have/had would pull groups like that at 50m.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 8:47am
Those are good groups for a springer at that range.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 10:09am
The Sig .177 performs well on the indoor 25 yard range and has earned a couple of wins.

Baracuda Match is a very firm fit but I agree with Myson they definitely provide an improved group and it has to be the 4.50 which I only had a few on hand, I will get a new tin and compare against some of the lighter pellets. Expect I need to choose a pellet, clean the barrel and start again.

This rifle seems to have a tight breech but still under warranty so I have not eased it out, many pellets need mechanical assistance to load. 

cheers

These pellets will load by finger pressure
H& N Sniper medium .55g 4.50mm
JSB Match Hades .67g
Baracuda match .69g 4.50mm
Sig Air venom .51g
Webley VMX 0.53g
JSB Exact 0.547g
RWS Super Field 0.54g

Edited by mercs - 30 Dec 2022 at 10:12am
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 10:23am
https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/hn-baracuda-match-10-65-grain-177-caliber-pellet-test-review/

For anyone interested
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 10:31am
I used to use H&N FTT in my 97k, but there was a definite change in the lead, and they became quite difficult to load, needing a real hard push to seat. I ended up changing to JSB/AA (177).

I later read an article about how the H&N are made from harder lead, so if you are swapping back and forth from them, you need to clean the barrel, as the harder lead can cause softer leaded pellets to loose accuracy, and they proved this was the case with a TX. Other guns may be different, but it's worth knowing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic