Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sig Sauer ASP20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 9:55am
if you mean the h/n rabbit magnum pellets these would be the bullet shaped pellets i presume,these can be finiky things accurracy wise in any caliber,it seems to be something to do with their long bearing surface not being suitable for some barrels designed for pellets causing them to strip lead off in the barrel and lead barrel up,possibly some thing to do with the rifling twist found simaller thing with some cast bullets in firearms,the amount of surface engaging the rifling in slower twist barrels proberly has something to do with this as heavier projectiles with longer bearing surfaces often require a slower rifling twist to stabilize them,never had much luck with the rabbit magnum pellets in 177/22 cal air rifles as faras accuracy went,have built several pcp guns specifically to use these heavy bullet shaped pellets and found they definatly work best in 22cal if using a 22lr rimfire barrel as far as accurracy went,i know they work well in the green mountain barrels made for the crosman custom shop as these barrels are designed to shoot both waisted pellets and bullets very well but have never got these to shoot accuratly in any of my bsa or air arms 177/22cal pcp rifles and the few powerful springer i tryed them in,
 cheers mike
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 10:25am
Here is the final group testing.
(bottom right hand group 4.45mm)
I've found it interesting how some of the head sizes spread. I've also found that explains some of unsorted groups patterning. (Ive done more testing than what I've put up)
Any sh*t I've recognised as me being off (some of these like the 2 high AA have hit where they were aimed)
All sig pellets had to be seated and were with pencil to 6mm as they stood proud.
This is the only pellets I had to seat. It is also totally impractal for me hunting and would have ruled out sig unless they shot way better than others.
Exact will be worth having a back up tin of. They group well and have a good spread pattern.
AA heavies sorted, by far have left the most groups with pellets punching into the same hole, though unsorted their groups haven't been as good a hunting pattern as exact. ( but I sort my hunting pellets)
Any sig shooters who haven't tried sig dagger or hades 177 I have a unsorted tin of each which I'm happy to split into 2 or 3 amounts and send to ppl for trial in your gun.
As per this is from my rifle and may be differnt from how yours shoots.
As soon as I sort the 362 out, I'm going to have tins or part tins of .22 pellets I've tested free to good homes.
I'm over having heaps of pellets I don't use.
As a foot note, when sorting the pellets the ones that don't make the grade arnt thrown away. They are kept in separate sorted tins and those that group well but have a slightly differnt impact Point, are used when I have a tin full and I adjust the scope for that tin. Those sizes and weights that don't group well are plinkers, and used to relead barrel after cleaning, first few shots to redistribute oils and grease if gun has been sitting or is cold. Also after it's been sitting in car on hot day, before hunting.

Edited by kruzaroad - 17 Dec 2022 at 10:51am
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 10:43am
Cheers Mike. I'm happy to skip them now. Was bit dodgy about it. Now I'm happy I didn't head down that road.
Ive spent enough on ammo that doesn't work! Appresiate the feed back.
If you want sig pellets to try before buying I'll send you some.
F. Y. I I wasn't using monster exact. Exact heavy, much lighter.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 3:46pm
Final target from me on pellets.
Have very few 5.50mm AA left saved for hunting.
Using the not as accurate 4.51mm sorted, just playing.
Took 3 shots to range and windage. Three attempts at bulls. Then stopped cause was happy with that and knew I'd pull a shot at some stage and spoil it. 😁
Depending on which way hare was facing 3 kills or two kills and a serious wound.
Hopefully tighten up with 4.50mm
Ralph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 8:45am
I have tried the JSB Monster Exact Diablo 13.43 gr in one of my Sigs.
Average of a 10 shot string over the chronograph was 737.16fps giving 16.2 fpe
Got tight groups at 20 and 30m, the drop off at 40 and 50m compared to the 10.34 JSB's meant they weren't worth continuing with as a hunting pellet
Sig Sauer ASP20 .177

mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 3:14pm
Hi all, my .177 Sig is now set up like Ralphs with Zero Tech Vengeance 3-12x40SF scope found under the Christmas tree. I will review scope separately.

Strong variable breeze from right to left so shortened up range from 38 to 33 yards to try and get some shelter.

Last pellets of the day were H&N Power (copper plated) which surprisingly seemed to group better in the wind. I will do more trials with these.

cheers

Started with known pellet JSB Exact 8.44 grains 4.51mm for a 20 yard accuracy check no wind, rifle and scope working well.

H&N Baracuda Match 10.65 33 yards sighting in, wind gusts from right.
No surprise heavier pellet went low and left. Adjusted 5-10 clicks at a time moving around the bull then 2-3 clicks each way trying to get a feel for it. Reasonable turrets and look forward to some repeatable and usable distance numbers.

H&N Barracuda Power 10.65grains (copper coated) no adjustments made, 33 yards POA was bull, steady breeze from right.

Edited by mercs - 27 Dec 2022 at 9:21pm
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 7:18am
Nice Mercs!

I'm in the middle of testing my SIG .177 too and I'm happy to say I've just found the best pellet (I think - more tests to go though) for my barrel.

It was the AA Heavies but now I've found better! It's now the H&N Baracuda Match .177 (10.65gr) with 4.50 headsize.

The 4.51's and 4.52's were no good but the 4.50's produced lovely groups at 50yds. I'll post target pictures when I confirm this - I'm just waiting for another tin of H&N's to arrive so I can test again on a less windy day....

I'm a happy chappie.... this topic inspired me to re-test my SIG and I'm glad I did! I think my 50yds groups will now end up about 30-35mm. We'll see....

Fingers crossed! Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 8:46pm
Checked tin and using same size and I can load these without mechanical assistance.

30 metre range this morning, 10 shots under pleasant conditions. Zero Tech on 12 power, rifle on bipod.

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 8:54pm
How big is the blue circle?
You got to be happy with that, that's a nice center hole.
Whats the bi pod? I've got a gamo one but are a bit wary, it never helped the gamo. That target tells a differnt story about them. 👍
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 10:22pm
Blue ring is 40mm so same as aperture in standard field dropdown targets. I will have to sharpen up for 50 metre range at the club.

Bipods - No regrets but I would not fit them to another break barrel, prefer to spend money on quality rest or bags. In this case I am shooting against PCP owners and ready to try anything.
Less to carry so they can improve setup time for almost anything else being shot from a bench or other flat surface.

I use Gamo bipods, I feel they are a touch wide but stable enough.
Fitting the rails was tricky as no room for nuts on inside so only threaded into the stock and screw length had to be exact.
Obviously they make cocking a little more difficult but I have that sussed.

Stoeger pictured below, these looked interesting but I could not source, Airgun Detective site has incorporated some good ideas into his own shop version which he had installed during ASP20 video review.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic