Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sig Sauer ASP20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sig Sauer ASP20
    Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 5:53pm
ASP20 model review and learnings start here.
Manufactured in .177 and .22 calibre
ASP Advanced Sport Pellet
Have fun.

Picatinny rail - excellent option for higher power springers.

Pictured here with SportsMatch Mount and Tasco 3-9x40 AO scope

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 6:39pm
Sweet idea. So first question to you mercs what pellet/s have you found are giving you the most accuracy out of your gun.

Second question to any one who has shot or shoots one.
What hold do you use. How fussy do you find it.

Third question to anyone who hunts with 177, how much impact does the 177 impart. I haven't used it enough on game to make a judgment, but are getting the impression it needs to hit pretty much smack on. And doesn't really impart significant energy outwards in penitration.
Is that correct?
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 9:57pm
Currently I am using Sig Air Dagger 0.67 grammes 10.03 grains with good results however they need a pellet pusher (ballpoint pen) to go fully into the breech so not ideal out in the field.
I will record some results.

Earlier trials reveal rifle is not pellet picky but Barracuda was an easy default choice until they become difficult to find earlier in the year.

Previously posted, 20 yards under perfect conditions using RWS pellets to prove rifle and that all future deviations were from me. These are wadcutter pellets and tend to lose accuracy beyond 25 yards.
My best ever result for a break barrel.

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 10:32pm
Nice shooting. I'd love to be able to put targets like that up. That's promising for proformance potential.

Be keen on seeing some targets bench rested that arnt in ideal conditions.

What do you use as a hunting pellet in it the barracuda?

Crafties gun rod here had some baracuda in stock, a few days ago when I was in. I can grab some for you if your still finding them hard to get.
They seemed good in my rifle but I only had a sample amount to test.
May have to revisit them at some stage, I'm at that unenviable stage of going thru pellets to see what groups best.

Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 9:24am
I have the Sig ASP20 in .177 and find the best pellet for my particular barrel is AA Heavies (10.3gr).

With those, she has a MV of about 900 fps (=18.5 FPE). She's accurate and powerful with good groups at 50yds (my zero).

The only thing I don't like is the trigger because I'm used to the smooth and delightful Weihrauch triggers!

Otherwise, she's great! And very good for hunting because she's a Gas-Ram - you don't have to consider Spring strain and can carry the rifle locked and loaded all day! Smile

I shot a rabbit in the head at 61yds last week with the Sig - it just crumpled!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 12:26pm
I just got the 20m to 30m groups done.
These are the best of the targets shot, most 5 shot groups.
Anything labeled pulled is a something Ive done and recognised as a bad shot as soon as I pulled trigger and is not included in group size.
Groups measured from outside edges of furthest holes.
20m had weighed out exact and hades pellets. Wasn't going to shot AA today.

So with that hades got dropped, moved to 25m. Exact opened up a bit and first group shot was best. Decided to throw AA pellets into mix as ruled hades out.

Pleased with aa as just random out of tin.
30m there's a lot more of me at fault than pellets. Had been shooting for a while and rain was heading in so bit rushed and prob should have stopped.

So will carry on when/if drizzle stops.
But at moment leaning towards air arms. It's a pretty good result for unsorted and will have to weigh some out.

Edited by kruzaroad - 09 Dec 2022 at 12:42pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 12:37pm
Oh and corrected the slope drop, that had targets sitting lower than bench rest.
Gun had been sighted at zero at 32m on exacts from some I was given originally.
The correction at 30m was 1mildot under the bull.

Edited by kruzaroad - 09 Dec 2022 at 12:38pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 3:08pm
Got out between showers and shot at 35m.
Think I need to stabalise back end of rifle, stop that finer movement a bit.

I suspect the gun is shooting a lot better than I am.
Ralph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 3:53pm
My 2 Sigs, identical twins, both wearing Zero Tech Vengeance 3-12x40 scopes. Both shoot well with 10.34 JSBs. Neither are hold sensitive and I don't think about how I am holding the rifle when out shooting pests.
Pic of target is shot at 20m with JSBs, 5 shots, it is the only pic I have of a target shot with the Sig, I usually discard the targets after I have shot them

Will be selling 1 of the Sigs as I have just purchased a TX200 MK3
Sig Sauer ASP20 .177

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 6:32pm
That's an awsome group for sure.
I'd be stoked with that!
I'm rather impressed with it so far.
Still think the biggest issue with grouping is me

Shot a couple of groups at 40m and the exact are grouping well. Would have put most shots into a hares head.
The AA is shooting slightly bigger groups but it tends to shoot them in smaller clusters, spread apart but nearly hole in hole in each cluster.
I've weighed out 50 of each, to tin weight.
Took 65 odd to get 50 exact
Took 83 odd to get 50 aa
I suspect the AA are throwing off due to varying pellet weight. (something I found in 22)
I must admit that since I went to finger tips, I've changed grip again and don't think it was as hold sensitive as I thought.
If anyone has been on fence about buying a sig, don't be.
Im more than happy I Swapped it for the tx. They both awsome guns, but this suits me better as a hunting gun.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic