Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dive Bottles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dive Bottles
    Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 4:36pm
Looking at the best option (for me) to charge my PCP when it arrives.  I'm too old and tired to use a hand pump, electric pumps are fairly pricey at around $700 from Gun City and more than that to bring in from AliExpress.  

That leaves a dive bottle as the most likely culprit.  If I can get a good used dive bottle for around $200, a hydro test and fill will cost me another $58 plus I may also need a connector.  This will give me plenty of capacity but I'll need to get a hydro every 2 years if I use the air up in that time.  Still not a bad option.

Alternatively, I may be able to source a BA bottle which only needs a 5 yearly test.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  I have been warned off alloy cylinders.

Edited by KiwiTR6 - 05 Nov 2022 at 1:13pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 8:20pm
As some one who use to dive a lot, I'm wondering why you've been warned of alloy cylinders.
They are lighter but tend to have much thicker wall hence larger for the same volume.
Can you get swap a bottle on industrial CO2 bottles? It may be that you don't have to get them tested in that case.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 1:09pm
Industrial gases like argon run at around 2000 psi maximum, whereas dive and BA bottles run at 3000psi or more which is the level PCP's and paintball guns operate at.  They also still have to be tested,  but that's normally taken care of by the gas supplier e.g. BOC or the swap a bottle people.  Re the alli bottles, I was told to avoid them as they are inclined to fail due to stress.  Maybe that's not actually the case, just someone's opinion.

Edited by KiwiTR6 - 05 Nov 2022 at 7:02pm
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 9:59am
When I looked into it last year, a new bottle and parts was the same price as GX compressor at $600
Second hand bottle and connectors perhaps half that price.

Larger steel bottles are very heavy and you need to consider handling trolley and storage racks.
Dropping down a size or two makes them more manageable.
If you live close to a dive shop then easy decision.

I went with the compressor from Gun City which is going well.
It is very simple to operate and I am using it for top ups only.

I would prefer they supplied an auto pressure off option. 
Overseas the same system now comes with a rechargeable battery which looks interesting.

cheers

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 2:19pm
re alloy dive bottles i have been using same 3400psi alloy dive bottle to charge pcps for over 25 years now,it gets filled at dive shop at lest 6 times a year,has never failed a hydro or visual test and was last hydro tested bout month ago,bottle is over 30 years old now used for diving before used for pcps,maybe just been lucky and got really good one who knows,lager metal hpa bottles are a pain in the butt too big and heavy to take any where,so best left at home, battery compressors great option for feild use but i am only a little guy and 71 years old and have no probs using a hand pump up tp 3500psi but too hard for me after that,but all my guns use 2800/3000/3400psi so dont find hand pumps a prob,the beuaty of hand pumps is they dont require constant testing or filling require no external power source to operate and are compact and light weight to take pretty much anywhere and never run out hpa or get flat batterys either,the down side if its one,is they do require a bit of effort to use,cost wise a good hand pump costs bout same as a new 3500psi dive bottle but dont require a fill station to use,plenty cheap good fill stations available from paint ball shops tho @ approx $60,battery powered compressors are great if you dont have to lug compressor and battery too far or can use them off your vehical battery if vehical is handy,they all have their benifits so just choose what works best for you.
 cheers mike
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 11:10pm
I know someone selling a couple of dive tanks and fill line here in Wellington.

PM me and I can put you in touch if you want? From memory he wants about $450 for everything.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 1:13pm
Thanks guys for the advice.  

I went ahead and purchased a charged, but out of date, 15L Fabre bottle locally. I probably should have left as it's a bit heavy for me so I'm planning on replacing it with a 10L if I can swap it out as I still think a tank is my best option.  The pump that Gun City are selling now retails for $700 without the auto shutoff and from what I've seen/read about these Chinese pumps, they need regular seal replacements and whilst that's not a problem to do, I'd rather avoid it.

Can someone tell me who the contact is for the club that operates out of the Eltham range?

Cheers
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 8:36pm
I am a member at Eltham so feel free to private message me for any details.

Take the time to read up on all your equipment and rifle before charging and understand the working pressures if different, buy good quality connectors and know how they work, cleanliness is ultra important.
Any gas at 3000 psi is serious stuff.
Not sure what rifle you are purchasing but if not regulated charging to full pressure is not always best for accuracy.

Cheers

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic