Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HW80

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 11:11pm
To get rid of twang, you can fit a kit that has guides for the spring.
Tin Bum tuning sell them.
If you take the gun apart and can measure accurately the spring ID and the ID of the piston, it's pretty easy to make up a top hat spring guide for inside the piston. Then using some coke can, or coke bottle make a sleeve for the spring. These take up the gaps around the spring and absorb vibration that causes the twang.
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 2:28pm
The HW80 should be around 20fpe. it may be a case that its in fact a UK sub12 model? if that is the case, it may be oversprung which is trying to force power resulting in a harsh cycle.
Its a large capacity rifle so at 18fpe it should be pretty smooth - like a 17/18fpe rifle performing at 15fpe will be a lot more tame.

sub12 will usually have "Hull Cartridge" on barrel.

OX mainsprings are notoriously reviewed as pretty average and removed pretty quickly by airgun tuners.. id stay clear. Weihrauch original springs are likely some of the best quality around.

I would try and ascertain for sure its not a 12fpe model, then give it a strip down, clean out, re-lube, change the seal and spring to HW original, (also look into Titan springs for aftermarket)
Polishing the spring ends and using a little moly paste can help twang

Or go the tuning route - TBT (airrifletuning.co.uk) have a pro kit including spring guides and spring etc
Nick from TBT is helpful, so he may be able to give advice as well - to ascertain if its a full power or UK version.

Weihrauchs do twang, the spring guides are steel and not usually a tight fit (perhaps allowing some variance in spring winding?) so can be a little harsh until they settle. Tight fitting guides will eliminate a lot of the twang and a thin layer of grease will help as well.
Id use a dry spring in a low power target rifle but not in a high power sporter.

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
flock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 1:47pm
Thanks J-S tried the 16g JSBs but the accuracy wasn't there, the 14g JSBs shot real well. Will put up with the tang, next time I'll go the TBT way.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 2:35pm
js is proberly right about your rifle,but higher fpe isnt everything when comes to airgun hunting,i have no hesitation taking a 12fpe 177/22 cal gun small game hunting as js said they doso very effectivly in the UK out to considerable distances with 12fpe rifles i have 177cal pcp rifles that are twice 12fpe and 22 cal rifles up to 3 or more times 12fpe i use for hunting,the only real advantage more than 12fpe is the rifles can effectivly use much heavier pellets a decent velocitys,it really all comes down to accuracy accuracy is key for effective airgun hunting,any rifle that will keep 5 shots within 10mm at 15yds will be very capable of head shots on rabbits etc out past 50yds as many forum members can attest to,there is no point chasing more power if accuracy deterorates at higher power levels as it can do at times,
 there is bound to be a 16gr pellet this rifle will shoot very accuratly,its just a matter of trying different 16gr pellets til  you find one that will give you the accuracy you want thats my two bobs worth anyway.
 cheers mike
flock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 3:43pm
only spitting the 14g at 750

Edited by flock - 31 Oct 2022 at 3:46pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 4:29pm
I ran 14.3gr round nose deablo through gun chair at 750 ftps
Here's the graph.
Thats enough to bowl a hare over at 100yards, 91.44m.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 4:36pm
It still has around 5fpe @ 128m.
you want me sort out 20 AA field 16gr pellets and send them to you for trial.
save buying a tin
flock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 5:16pm
Thanks for the offer, JSBs are doing fine. 3 shots threw each other at 25 yards. 
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 7:59am
its generaly accepted in UK that it only takes 6fpe from small 177 pellet to cleanly kill rabbits with a head shot,the main advanages of higher velocitys are higher fpe/flatter trajectorys/shorter flight time and capability to use heavier pellets at decent velocitys,the advantage of heavier pellets is tho velocity maybe lower than lighter pellets they hold that velocity for longer and tend to shoot flatter for longer distances than lighter pellets so hold more energy for longer as well and tend not to be as affected by wind as much lighter pellets,in the end it all comes down to the most accurate pellet for the rifle or pistol, learning its trajectory out to the max distance you are most likely to shoot it out to,and then put a lot practice into learning how to shoot it over a range of distances out to that max distance,its really all about learning your rifle and what its capable of,the kill area of a rabbit/hares head is approx 25mm in diameter for a brain kill shot,i use twist caps of my beer bottles for practice hunting targets,because they are easy to see and reacte when hit i place them at radom distances out to100m,when i can no longer consistantly hit these 27mm targets thats the max distance i use that gun for hunting,i find this works better for me than paper targets because i dont need to check targets to know when i hit them and they lot more fun to shoot at than paper eh.
 cheers mike 
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 8:57am
If I've ever heard an excuse for a beer, that's got to be it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic