Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - when you cant find a stock you like - you make one
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

when you cant find a stock you like - you make one

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: when you cant find a stock you like - you make one
    Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 11:07pm
Right, so after many shoots, and using many different rifles, I found the features from each that I liked, and went in search of a custom stock for a TX200 to fit the bill.
A couple of the GinB ones almost did, a couple of the Gary Cane ones had many bits that were great as well, but theres just not the choice available for my liking so only one option was left (well maybe 2, but why pay someone else to do it) 
Make it myself.

Im no stranger to wood, and have made plenty of pistol grips, and I know that when making it yourself you have the opportunity to really make it "fit", and to be that one off piece, I wanted to be different from all the others, so the search for wood began

Reading all the builds, walnut or beech were the main choices. A few indonesian hardwoods are used as well, so to be different i chose not to use any of them :)
A hunt around and a nice piece of cedar was acquired, definately not a normal choice, but as you see the pictures im sure you understand why I went for it.
Cedar is actually a hardwood - technically. It also isnt prone to rot, which is why its used on outdoor door frames that are exposed, all a great bonus, but it was the grain nature that I wanted, and this stuff sure has it!

Scoured the net for all the right pictures, started up photoshop, and ended up with a design that resembles a cross between a daystate panther/gary cane type stock, without the sharp bodylines. more "flowing" from one surface to another.
A thumbhole design, right handed, with a "thumb up" position as well. An adjustable cheek rest, and a daystate panther(ish) type hamster.

The marked and cut blank (the forend will be the last bit I do. will be doing the inletting at the tail end of the process, contrary to what most of the stockmakers do. this is so I can align the action to me when im holding it, hopefully this will give an increase to the balanced feel for me)

First shaping of the pistol grip and butt

More shaping and a light buff to raise the grain

More work with the hand plane, drum sanders, and good old sanding block. 

its a bit of a slow process, mainly because my 2year old son wants to be involved (thats sooo much help) I figured a way to keep him happy though , make a stock for him as well (to later have a break barrel pistol action fitted into it, making a mini sized rifle just for him ) I will post pics of that as well, mainly because its kind of cool to see a 2yr old sanding his own rifle stock, dad had to shape it (dont trust him with a bandsaw or speedsander just yet) but he comes and work alongside me and is the envy of all his mates (and the cause of a few concerned looks from parents) 
Plastic toy guns are cool, but if you have the means, why not? 
(for the record he can already operate a semi auto gas powered pistol, and at 10m is capable of roughly a 80mm group with it :) understands how to use the safety, and not to point it at people or animals. I figure get him so used to them that when he is older the novelty wont be there, and should hopefully kerb the want to sneak them out when dads not around, or if he does - at least he'll know what hes doing:) )

NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
mmamonster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmamonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 12:14am
Does anyone make stocks using kauri or remu ?
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 9:29am
its coming alone nicely :)
(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by mmamonster mmamonster wrote:

Does anyone make stocks using kauri or remu ?

Not as a general type of wood used no, but I've done rimu ones, and a mates done a kauri one
NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 3:08pm
There's been a bit more done since I last took pics, I'm at the inletting stage now, doing it old school - router and chisel......
Sucker for punishment I reckon, maybe that's why there's kid number 2 nearly here lol
NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 7:42pm
starting to show better grain in the front, + the matching hamster

And the other side, the pen line from top of butt pad is where the cheekrest will be cut in order to make it adjustable, and the top of the cheekrest will be hollowed/concaved to bring proper eye alignment to scope

NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 7:45pm
oh yeah, the cedar is light, the whole stock incl hamster barely scrapes in at 1kg, this means once the barrel, action and scope are fitted, i can add lead in strategic places to get the balance i want as well  :)
NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 11:36pm
Because he wants to be involved...... my 2yr old son helping out on HIS custom FT stock. Yes he comes along, and he practices everyday, alot of his practice is with a nerf gun, but the principles are the same and are getting drummed in well.
His "rifle" has been sized down for him, and i'll use a break barrell piston (hatsan or chinese equivalent) or a co2 one (2240) as the action, will need to lengthen the barrell on whatever I go with, and will aim at keeping it around 400fps/ 6fpe.
Should be interesting, and I can hear the fun police waving their arms around already :)

Edited by (pink)MIST - 04 Nov 2013 at 11:39pm
NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 10:27am
More pics to upload tonight! Inletting is done, have test fitted the action, a final rub down with 1000grit and she's off to get some color and some 2pot clear :)
Getting closer now !
NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 11:25pm
After a bit of quality time with a plunge router and a dremel, the stock is now inletted and the action fits nice and snug as it should.
being a little "pedantic" i even sanded most of the inletting down to a 600grit paper....probably totally uneccesary, but I was getting some quality man cave time, so why not :)

have been working the grade of paper down some more on the outside, and am 99% happy its ready to go to our polisher to get get a little color put into it (thinking a walnut color over that grain will be pretty kind on the eye) then get a 2pot high gloss clear coat (or 7) over top.

some nicer "glamour" shots of the progress 

NZAFTA President

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic