Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gamo .25 Shadow IGT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gamo .25 Shadow IGT
    Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 6:06pm

Hi all, this was bought for no other reason than to own a .25 calibre. Absolutely no regrets.

Gamo Shadow IGT  calibre .25 Gas Piston  Spec 623fps 190m/s (only with alloys)

I have kept it as a matching set fitting a Gamo 4x32AO and one piece mount. Lightweight and pleasure to walk around with, very consistent but you have to allow for early pellet drop so knowing target distance is important. Hits with genuine effect and can be used for pest control, targets go down and stay down, well over 1000 pellets with no issues.

Positives, low cost at $460, repeatable accuracy, low maintenance, hits with a thump. Possibly the best factory Gamo trigger I have used, shame they cannot make them all like this.

Negatives, this is the second unit, early no hassles warranty replacement due to power loss. High volume manufacturers like Gamo and Hatsan you have to test them rigorously and send them back if in doubt.

Pellet choice is limited and sporadic but I have tried, BSA, JSB, Apolo and H&N with success. The only disappointment being Gamo Pro-magnum. (why can they not get it  right)

Heavy pellet of choice.

Reference Check
GamoShadow IGT .25
Pellet BrandJSB Exact
Pellet typeDiablo
Average fps527
Grains25.4
Grammes1.6
foot pounds15.67
Joules21.24

.177 / .20 / .22 / .25 / .30

Edited by mercs - 30 Sep 2022 at 7:56pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 8:34pm
Whats it kick like. .22 gamos kick like a mule lol.
How loud is it?
Recon it might become ya main hunter?
Are there any pellets ya want to try that you havent got. Ill keep an eye out for em here and grab you a tin if i see them.
paulo.baronceli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulo.baronceli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:17pm
I always wanted to buy a .25 but have always been on the fence because - just like you - the only real reason would be just to own a .25 😂

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:48pm
Im looking at dropping the tx for a .25. So interested in how yours ( or anyone elses) preforms and more importently for me, the impact resaults on game. (I.e impact pics or reports)
Build quality and issues, pros and cons.
Your over view of the gamo has got my interest. If you get the time (or have the interest) to get more detailed
Id be keen on seeing a target or two and a couple of bowled over critters and pics of any issues you've found with build quality.
Same for anyone else with a .25
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 2:07pm
The best gun for hunting is the one you know you can hit the right spot with, every time.
Dont get too hung up on power - you arent going for pigs and goats. A high power .22 will take a possum just as humanely as a .177, and .25 if you hit the spot.

To get a high power .25 / .30 to shoot with a flat trajectory you need high velocity - so this means big springs and pistons = a lot of kick and generally heavier trigger to hold back the pressure. They are harder to shoot well.

Mid-standard velocity in .25 will have a bigger arch in the shot, which means your knowledge of shot placement / holdover becomes more important - increases the margin of error of missed shot or followup shot needed for kill.

.22 in high power is going to be sufficient - something around 18-20 footpound.
A TX200 would be around 15-16 footpound in high power, but they are supremely accurate and one of the nicest triggers around in a spring rifle => meaning you have the predictability of trigger for shot placement and the build quality and accuracy to back it up.

Have a look at the likes of the Weihrauch HW80 in .22, around 21 footpound, or the HW90 in .22 that uses the Theoben style gas ram - again around 22 footpound but piston would be smoother and rifle not so big (around HW95 size but more power). They are rare but I know Youngs has one on the wall for sale.

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 3:56pm
The arc isnt a worry. Its why I shoot targets to learn the trajectory of a pellet from a rifle.
Im not hung up power for powers sake, Im after a heavier projectile for its impact on game and its ability for less wind movement.
At the moment Im trying to get good hunting guns together that I like.
Hopefully the 1322 will end up a, upto 20m/ bird,rat,rabbit gun
.25 upto 40m/45 meters which is a good range for my rabbit and hare shooting,with a better impact for accurate shots and would also be advantagous for running targets which stand a higher chance of not being dead accurate)
Probly look at Weihrauch or other high end springer with a bit more power than I have now for 50m+ in .22.
However I will take your advice onboard and do a bit more research into the pro and cons.

Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 5:15pm
I used to be a huge .177 fan and still am. But for hunting .22 is the best all rounder with higher energy that actually kills the animal faster, have had so many pass through a with a .177 and they run off 50m before dieing. But I absolutely LOVE the .25 for hunting rabbits and wild cats and yes the impact does alot more damage. Wild cats are tricky buggers to kill and the .25 is my choice for that.

But as J-S says bullet placement is very critical. I actually love watching UK shooters putting rabbits down with sub 12flb rifles with pin point accuracy.

At longer distances the next caliber up just gives you a bit more insurance that if your shot is a bit off and you hit it, it should still put it down.

I still need to get a .30 cal brake barrel haha
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic