Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

whats the story with pellgun oil?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whats the story with pellgun oil?
    Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:16am
So i brought pellgun oil to lubricate the cylinder as recomended by a lot of air gun shooters on web. Came today and saw this on back.
Is this stuff going to diesel. I alredy have a couple of supposedly right oils for the job that diesel.
Is this any use at all for a break barrel cylinder?
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:34am
Use a drop on a co2 canister each install for internal co2 seals. (Also all it is is ATF fluid, which by volume is much cheaper to buy)
Perhaps on pivot points on other rifles, but never internally on a spring or gas ram rifle.

Springers or gas rams need a thin smear of moly paste on the piston, BEHIND the seal. And potentially thin smear of red tacky grease on the spring / guides. Thats it.

Anything in front of the piston seal will diesel - dieseling causes accuracy issues as well as burnt out seals. So dont put any lubricant down the transfer port. The thin layer of moly paste is enough lubrication

Oil the outside of a cylinder to keep rust away, something like a gun oil or 3 in 1 do fine.

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:41am
pellgun oil is petrolum based and realy only meant for co2 airguns,it will diesel in spring guns and you cant use it to lube pcps because being petrolum based it could potentually cause a pcp gun to explode,you can buy CRC industral silicon oils and greases that work fine in most airguns tho not really suitable for pcps as lubes etc its fine for orings in pcp airguns,a good source of suitable silicon lubes greases for pcps is from dive shops as these are safe with hpa.
 cheers mike
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 11:04am
Cheers mike. Guess have to buy a 1322 crossman now.
As someone who has his diving tickets I should have thought of dive shops long ago.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 5:03pm
This is the only chamber oil I use. (Silicone)

1 drop every 250 pellets as per Crosman maintenance instructions.

I use this on all high power break barrel brands with modern seals.

Approx $25 but lasts for years.

Exclusively use this for CO2 capsules as well.

Could be a new post coming up on different lubricants plus where and where, internet advice is confusing as often identified by brands not available in NZ.

I have investigated alternative silicone oil options and happy to share via messages.

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 5:37pm
Id be happy to know where you buy that from or any shops that sell it in nz. I tried a silicon oil, it sounded like a high volicity .22lr had been fired.
Ive tried the web but its all websites or shops that dont sell it.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 7:02am
you need to be very careful where you put lube in any airgun and need to use the correct type of oil as well any hydocarbon based oil can potentually explode on contact with high pressure air,thats why oxygen bottles all have warnings on them bout hydrocarbon based oils being used to lubricate valves etc,the same rule applies to airguns,the exception being co2 airguns because co2 is an inert gas,if hydrocarbon based oil vapour and the oxygen mix gets to the right mix it can and will explode under pressure,in a pcp or pump up pnematic airgun this can and will destroy the gun and possible injure badly the shooter as well,hydocarbon oil build up in springer or gas ram gun barrels can cause pressure rings to get blown in barrels behind pellets ruining the barrel,these pressure rings can so small they are not noticable and there can be more than one in barrel this is the reason some  guns lose their accurracy over time,for no apparent reason,there should be no oil in any airgun or firearms barrel when its fired,guns firing lead projectiles only get a very thin build up of lead in the barrel,this isnt a bad thing because the lead build up fills in any small marks in the barrel smoothing it out,no need to remove this lead build up unless it builds up to the point accurracy falls off,custom barrel makers lapp out their barrels using lead to polish any small flaws out of barrels and remove it afterwards,part of the reason it takes quite a few shots to shoot an airrifle in properly is to get a very thin build up of lead in the barrel to smooth it out,this why after thoughly cleaning a barrel it takes quite a few shots for the gun to shoot accuratly again as you have to build thin layer of lead up again to smooth barrel out again,this is why airgun manufacturers reccommend you dont use brushs to clean airgun barrels hard brushs will wear an airgun barrels rifling out as well,lead airgun pellets dont need lubing because unlike firearms there are no extremely hot gases to melt lead of projectiles that gets gets deposited and left behind in firearms barrels the lube used on firearms projectiles isnt a lube as such its pupose is to keep the deposited lead soft enuf that the next bullets scraps some of that lead out as it passes thru barrel this lube allso makes it easier to remove lead residue when cleaning the barrel,gas checks fitted to lead bullets in firearms prevent hot gases melting bullet bases,and stop this lead build up occurring,because there are no exremely hot gases involved in airguns lead pellets dont need lubing,and because the only part of a waisted lead pellet that shouls engage rifling is the thin rear skirt section the pellet nose should fit in the bore but not engage rifling,so very of a pellet is actually engaging in the rifling so there is far less friction between pellet and rifling than in a firearm as well,a good way to test pellets without measuring them is to try different pellets out by pushing the nose into the muzzle the pellet should fit tight into muzzle but engage the rifling,pellet nose daimeter is more important than skirt diameter because the skirt will blow out and engage rifling when fired and the pellet nose should just fit into bore snuggly without engaging the rifling its exactly the same with lead bullets in firearms with long bullets in rifles witch have two diameters just like waisted pellets its only the rear section that should engage the rifling the nose section just rides in the bore to stabilize the project in the bore,this has got bit off subject but its good info none the less.
 cheers mike 
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 12:24pm
I was planning to get some pellgun oil to put a drop on each new co2 capsule when I load them into the cr600w but the local gun shops don't seem to have any.  I saw some silicone grease in bunnings yesterday and thought that might be a suitable alternative but I wasn't sure so I didn't get any.

Would silicone grease be a good option for co2 capsules?
Pom that wants to be a kiwi
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 3:02pm
Try magnium sports hawera. Also youngs airguns. If you order it Monday should be down before Fri.
Is that how you put pelgun oil into a CO2 gun? Not having one I've never thought about it.
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by kruzaroad kruzaroad wrote:

Try magnium sports hawera. Also youngs airguns. If you order it Monday should be down before Fri.
Is that how you put pelgun oil into a CO2 gun? Not having one I've never thought about it.

Yes I think I will order some tomorrow after I check shooters supplies in Christchurch don't have any.

I know that is one place you use it in a co2 gun.  It helps to prevent the capsule from sticking and also lubricates the valve I believe.  I've loaded a few in dry and the last one didn't want to come back out without a little persuasion.  I meant to get some when I bought the rifle but in the excitement of getting the gun I forgot all about it.
Pom that wants to be a kiwi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic