Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie
    Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:16pm
Hi,
I have a Beeman RS2 in .22, some CR600 bits that I'm going to set up with a Sodastream bottle and scratch built transfer valve that will be battery heated to 31C, lastly a Crossman barrel (24") with a metal breach and some CroMoly 19mm id tube that would take 3000 psi.  This could become a HPA but most likely a variant on the Sodastream theme.  Done a few CR600 work overs up to 700 fps in .22.  I like to fiddle.

Right now looking for permissions round Auckland for new season bunnies for the table, ones without spotty livers, been a lot of that around the area.  I know some eat them anyway but I guess I'm fussy about it.

Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 7:45pm
Welcome along and welcome to the group who all likes to fiddle with guns.
Would love to see some pics of your builds. You will find in the forum a link to the Cr600w I rebuilt with bulk c02 carbon barrel etc...
Please join into the discussions, we all love feedback, sharing ideas and experience so we can all grow our knowledge together.
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by DaveS DaveS wrote:

Hi,
I have a Beeman RS2 in .22, some CR600 bits that I'm going to set up with a Sodastream bottle and scratch built transfer valve that will be battery heated to 31C, lastly a Crossman barrel (24") with a metal breach and some CroMoly 19mm id tube that would take 3000 psi.  This could become a HPA but most likely a variant on the Sodastream theme.  Done a few CR600 work overs up to 700 fps in .22.  I like to fiddle.

Right now looking for permissions round Auckland for new season bunnies for the table, ones without spotty livers, been a lot of that around the area.  I know some eat them anyway but I guess I'm fussy about it.

Welcome, Sounds like a fun CR600 project. The sodastream bottles are quite heavy, Is there a newer aluminium bottle now?

---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 8:02am
welcome aboard Dave. Good to have you here. Reading ya intro sounds like ya found the right place,a lot of guys on this site are way into mods (not so much me, yet)
Im curious as to the reason for the heated tranfer valve. Its not something that Im aware of. Whats the purpose of it?
I check for the spotty liver as well. Its better safe than sorry. Love me air rifle hunting. Roll on summer these wet paddocks and cold nights are wearing thin.
Theres a link in here some where to one of the guys night shooting with pcp and night vision. Well worth watching if you like rabbit shooting.

Edited by kruzaroad - 16 Sep 2022 at 8:06am
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 9:10am
As mentioned soda stream are very heavy. Find yourself a 9oz paintball tank for co2. easier to find adapters for etc as well..

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 9:43am
Good morning DaveS

Check this out on the build I've done. Let me know if you want more details.

http://www.kiwiairgunners.co.nz/forum_posts.asp?TID=607
DaveS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:19am
Hi,

My first go a CR600 worked quite well, went for max volume in the transfer valve and ended up creating a new seat.  Got 700fps with JSB 14.35gr pellets and a slight tightening of the groups as well at the higher power.  The downside was 8-9 shots with liquid present and then a drop off to 15 shots where it was back the standard 480fps. 

Hence my interest in Sodastream.  I have 3 of the new alloy bottles 2x60L (605cc  0.75g tare) and 1x30L (460cc 0.52g tare) so the weight is not bad.  Decision now is infront/behind of the trigger, has a better feel with it behind but that complicates everything relating to the gas path.

I'm a bit concerned that the creation is going to look very like a tactical PCP and that has Police issues.  How do you prove it is CO2 not HPA ?  This whole PCP classification is a clear as mud, the Police can just decide what a dangerous airgun is and that means trouble.  In fact a CR600 at 700fps x 14.35gr is still 15.6fpe, is that really dangerous ?
The gas properties of CO2 are attached, the critical temp is 31C where you will have 1018psi above the line and liquid below.  An unheated CO2 gun at 12C gets about 850 psi or 83% of what it could be heated. 

Fps has many factors, barrel length, gas psi, transfer speed as a product of transfer area and the directness of path.  A real design task, fun all round.

Edited by DaveS - 17 Sep 2022 at 9:09am
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:46am
The cr600 is a co2 rifle, and if its running co2 then still a co2 rifle and no police issue.
Doesnt matter if it looks tactical, like a pcp, a machine gun or a bazooka..
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:36pm
i used to use a battery heated sox i cut down to fit a co2 bottle worked really on cold days as kept co2 temps up so power didnt drop off on cold weather,and kept hands warm as well.
 cheers mike
DaveS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 4:03pm
Hi,
Good idea, I'm planning to make a custom transfer valve with an Oring at the front that will cover the sight port.  A section of it will be turned down 5mm for heating coil windings with the wires exiting through the sight port.  I'll have a thermo couple in there too setup for 31C and a LiPi battery pack in the butt.  In front of that the plan is for a permanent plug that has a Sodastream thread and valve actuator.  I'll use the 460cc bottle (about 20 12g powerlettes).  I have a 4k carbon fiber tube as a barrel sheaf.  I'll leave 50mm in front of the valve as a staging tank, I should get enough heat transfer from the alloy transfer valve to to keep this warm enough.  The CR600 barrel is quite nice, got a bit of a choke and likes JSB 5.52s.  The scope will be a Veyron 3-12x44.  I would really prefer a compact fixed 4x32 with zero parallax at 40m.  Light, simple, and cheap, I'm trying to get Vector Optics to build an airgun specific (springer ready) model that has mil dots and a nice cross hair reticle designed for hunting, no luck yet

Must dedicate some bench time for this.......

Edited by DaveS - 16 Sep 2022 at 4:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic