Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

is it the seals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:39pm
I did something similar until I brought a Brake cylinder Honing tool from repco 
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 12:47pm
That sounds perfect. I'm guessing your happy with the results. I've been looking into chrome polish for its abrasive qualities and it has two very soft/fine polishing compounds. I'm going to try a bit on the end of piston, clean it with solvent and see if it's smoother. If so I might do the barrel the same way. Lap it in.
Probly do it after back together and tested.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 5:34pm
nope made no difference end of piston so will scrap that idea.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 5:50pm
So gun back together.
Everything polished, including trigger. Everything running smooth. (better than ever has)
Trigger still way to much play before engages sear so might file that back a bit more or get a longer adjustment screw.
New volicitys (about 30 shots in)
Everthing in 700fps. Last 2 didgets every of shot.
HI:734   LOW:700 AVG:713
Re zeroed scope.
Not happy with grouping. Trigger pull may be affecting my shooting.
Pellet may be to lite for 700+fps
Play more tomorrow.
Pellets ftt 14.66gr. Had quick shot with aa16gr not much better.

Any ideas why spreading? Including shooting techniques. ( I pull much tighter groups with tx at 50m)
Comments appreciated.

Edited by kruzaroad - 22 Aug 2022 at 5:52pm
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 8:17pm
Great thread. I haven't followed it completely, but can the red dot withstand the recoil? Have you tried it with open sights, or a solid scope to eliminate one more factor? Those speeds aren't bad, and at 25 m, I would find it difficult to shoot groups.
Was there anyway to check the barrel crown? I believe this can effect accuracy quite a bit.

Smack me if this has already been covered.

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 8:44am
I shot it to 15 meters with open sights and thought sweet and put scope on.(prob should have gone further)
It currently has a gun City air rifle rated scope,in a one piece base, on gamo recoil damping base they come with.(red dot won't even look into till firing strait)
I have no idea about the crown but will check it out on Web. That comment does make me wonder if its clipping the built in suppressor baffle. Will check that, probly remove internal baffle and see if tightens. I've seen no damage in bore but that's just looking through barrel with eye, so no noticeable damage might be better description.
As for the groups if that's as good as it shoots at 25 meters, it's no good to me. I've already taken a hare with tx that had a pellet in rear leg from gamo prior to tx ( that would have been aimed as a heart shot on stationary hare) I've seen your videos and would find it hard to believe that you wouldn't be putting pellets through same hole at 25m
Cheers you've given me couple more things to look at.
It also came standard with a washer as spacer behind gas ram, wonder if removing that would help without dropping the power to much. hmmm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 9:30am
just watched a couple videos and read a heap on crowns. So yep could be an issue going to check cat trap then have a look. Have a shrouded barrel that's going to sux for checking it. But good advice pauly5.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 9:40am
Ha ha, sorry, I really meant to say that I would find it hard to shoot good groups at 25 m with a red dot sight. slightly older eyes can struggle to focus on the close red dot and target at the same time. 

So if you had a scope with a fine reticule, you may find the groups tighten up, or at least you can eliminate that factor.

You could try shooting into water and seeing if there are any bad looking marks from clipping? I have a 97k, and it shoots great, but when I first got it the stock screws would sometimes loosen, and this caused groups to open up, so make sure everything is tightened down positively and that the action sits comfortably in the stock. Another factor was tightening screws to the same torque each time. means the POI remained the same, but overtightening had the effect of putting a slight bend in the main tube, and effecting pellet speed from extra friction in the main tube..

I cheated in my videos, I was using a pcp. Smile
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 1:54pm
Nothing cheating about pcp. Still uses pellets and follows the same laws of drop, wind, bc. Its my job to hold the gun right so it's a steady platform,and counter the recoil.
Anyway went to other end of barrel to look at crown (which was fine) but the journey to it and past it a different story.
1: Pellet scuffing to the end cap on shroud.
2: Damage to baffle inside shroud.

3:Tooling Mark running radius of rifling and grooves. Having never looked through barrel from baffel end never noticed it before. It's taken about 50 odd photos to get these and they don't do justice to how clear, crisp and deep it is.

Targets shot at 25 without the baffle in to make sure it wasn't just baffle

Edited by kruzaroad - 23 Aug 2022 at 2:13pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 2:09pm
Ive sent the pics to gamo distributor and asked if this could be the issue with accuracy and will gamo replace the barrel. They also put a 5mm washer behind the gas ram (as standard) which I'm probly going to take out.It reeks of a gun that has just had a spacer put in to upgrade the power and I suspect that the piston is hitting the end of cylinder harder than it should, increasing recoil and doing the seal no good. I'd rather a lower power rifle (providing its not to big a drop) that hits where its aimed more than a faster rifle that puts pellets into the rear of animals your aiming to the front of.
This gun has been a major pain in the arse, but worth its weight in gold as a learning curve that's for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic