Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

is it the seals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 1:58pm
You're right, the springer makes the air very hot, but it does not have much time to transfer the heat anywhere, so the pressure peak acting on the pellet is very high, but as the pellet moves down the barrel the air expands and cools again. For a single stroke pneumatic, the heat is lost, that means part of your pumping energy is lost. So when you pull the trigger on a SSP the air is expanding and getting cold and decreasing in pressure more quickly.

Edited by xyon - 26 Aug 2022 at 1:59pm
---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 11:46am
From what I've managed to piece together from the Web the compressing air to chamber is sweet, it's a simple formula. I'll do some calculations later probly from hw97@45cc and Diana 350@70.8cc.
The real energy sapper seams to be the heat produced between the piston and reciever and the port. They reach really high heats, 700+ this expands the air, converts energy to heat, (tighter the port more the heat) when that cools in the chamber, its of a lesser volume. Actual lose still to be found out. I'll post a link to a boyles law calculator for anyone interested
http://www.endmemo.com/chem/boyle.php

Edited by kruzaroad - 26 Aug 2022 at 11:50am
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 9:19am
I thought that's what we were talking about. A single shot.
I be keen to know why a high pressure chamber storing the equivalent amount of air as the piston chamber ( more actually as there's the air in the chamber before compression) would produce less power than a piston alone.
But I guess pump action take more than I stroke. Still larger piston chamber to smaller the pressure chamber higher the pressure.
Don't worry about stifling my creativity, I'm just throwing ideas out. Just a mind exercise. I'll look further into air compression facts see what I'm dealing with.
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 6:28am
Don't want kill your creativity 😜
But there are a couple of reasons why the valved springer would not work well.
If you store the air at the end of the piston stroke. Then you do have a single stroke pneumatic, which we all know is quite a bit less powerful than a spring rifle. Why is that? Can you guys tell me 😁

The pellets in a spring rifle acts as a kind of valve. The pellet holds in the breech until the pressure is high enough to force it into the barrel.

The volume of the transfer port on a springer must be as small as possible for high efficiency. If you go adding valves and crap between the piston and the pellet, the efficiency and power will suffer.

---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 2:44am
Theory would have it that if your piston has enough force to load the pressure chamber through the port, it's probly going to be strong enough to seal the chamber and no none return valve needed.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 2:27am
Or flip the piston release mechanism upside down, extend the connecting rod, turn release lever into second trigger.
Side lever to reduce bulk underneath.
Cocking lever should be release lever sorry.

Edited by kruzaroad - 26 Aug 2022 at 2:31am
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 12:26pm
That's cool, gamo dude is going to see if they have any barrels ( they don't bring over spares) I've said any barrel that fits and is in good condition is fine. Doesn't have to have the suppressor fluting plastic surround.
Here's hoping
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 11:07am
I think to me the separate release of the piston is the only way to get rid of impact when shooting.
I don't think that designing the release mechanism is outside the realm of ppl here.
I don't think the initial piston firing is an issue for shooting as it can be done on way to shoulder after cocking.
I don't see the mechanism adding to much height or weight.
Or overly complicated.
Would it be rated as a pcp as it has a precharged chamber?

Edited by kruzaroad - 25 Aug 2022 at 12:19pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 10:50am
true. Don't have second trigger for piston release. Have lever system. Basic concept below.
I'm thinking thumb size push pad, Thin strong steel rod. Pressure is not an issue as its not a shot stroke.
A spring for helping release pressre if too tight
Feasable.???
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 9:57am
Yea, I have wondered how well that would work too. Same principle as a single stroke pneumatic in the way it stores air pressure. You would only need the one stroke to store more energy than an SSP can with one stroke, but with more weight in the gun.
I guess you would have to have the piston firing backwards so the plenum and valve is at the breech end too.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic