Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

is it the seals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is it the seals
    Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 10:32am
So the gamo does some wonderful groups then impact Point goes astray. I've got new seals on the way but have just chronographed it. Seems a bit of variation to me.
What is the view of you more experienced technical ppl on this?
All pellets were weighed and sized.
high 694 low 650 Ave 668
shots all in 600fps last two didgets of numbers in order.
Any thoughts appreciated.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 12:16pm
That rifle seems to be problematic.

When in doubt I push pellets home with back of ballpoint pen to ensure not being deformed when closing breach.

i follow Crosman regime of 1 drop of silicon oil into chamber each 250 shots to keep seals healthy.
Please note for the high power modern springers I only use Silicone Chamber Oil NOT Pelgun oil or ATF.

I have successfully used dovetail to Picatinny adaptor rail ($30 -$70)and fitted Stealth red dot ($80) or Stealth Reflex ($150) to my IGT's.

I have fitted several new scopes to my fusion and it works well for a few hundred shots. When it eventually wanders quick tightness check of action screws and target using sights to confirms all is well.
Some of the Gamo IGT's seem to slam the piston into the end of the chamber more than others. I have never pulled one to pieces to investigate. I have been pleased with Gamo warranty response on the one occasion I requested a replacement so it may be worth asking the question.

The only scopes up to the task of my IGT's have been Gamo 3-9x40 and NS 3-9x40

cheers

GamoBlack Fusion .177
Pellet BrandH& N Match
Pellet typeBarracuda
Average fps783
Grains10.64
Grammes0.69
foot pounds14.49
Joules19.64
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 1:54pm
Cheers. The rifle has been very problematic. I voided the warranty ages ago when I removed the mag due to pellet deformation . So that is out. I check the pellets are seated in far enough every shot. When I removed the piston it wasn't that great looking, so I think the crossman oil every 250 shots is something I'll start doing after the seal replacement. Due to fact it will group for x amount of shots, I don't think it's the scope,as it will start regrouping again without adjusting the scope (deviation is way to much from aim point to be just my shooting and wind. I've looked at that. Blame shooter first and work back from that) and Ive lock tighted the screws they haven't moved. The info the red dot is awesome, Ive been toying with the idea, as I'm going to turn it into the scrub gun/short range (if I can stabalise it) and keep the tx as a longer range rabbit Gun. Im stoked to know that the red dot is used by another shooter and will now look further into that option. Eventual I'll replace it and muck around with my shock gel and carriage idea.
So cheers appreciate the response.
Any one else with ideas or options I'd still love to hear them.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 11:22pm
You probably have checked the breech seal? I can't remember if on that model the seal is on the piston side or the barrel side?

I've removed the mag on a Gamo before too, too many problems of jamming. Try what Merces says and push the pellet into the barrel, as he says if the pellet sits proud when you close the barrelt this will stuff the end of the pellet skirt and cause problems. Just make sure they are pushed in the same distance everytime and re shoot through the chrony and see if the fps spread tighten up

If not wait till the new piston seal comes.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 11:54pm
I'm pretty sure it's not deforming as I check it's sitting below the edge of the barrel, but I have a little pusher thing that I can seat it in further with so I'll try that tomorrow too double check. The seal is on the receiver side (model is roadster)
guns going to get stripped,internals cleaned, polished,resealed,relubed put back together making sure it's all tight and working well. Sighted in at 10 then 26 meters on open sights, if still playing up after that cut losses won't waste any more time on it.
Lots of ppl who's gamo work great for them, I may have just got a bad gun/model but hopefully just wants some tlc.

Edited by kruzaroad - 12 Aug 2022 at 11:55pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 11:41am

Here's the last 2 digits of next string weighed and sized pellets, seated approx 3mm in barrel.Under the same shot as yesterday's mixed for comparison. (only 15 shots)

mixed
weighed/sized

mixed
weighed/sized
Good drop in power over all, possibly bit more stable but some weird drops and spikes. Have to check for metal rubbing,and how much that piston can freeplay I think. Cheers Billbob that was well worth doing. Appreciated.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 2:25pm
So pulled the gamo open and had a good look. Not impressed. Done a bit of sanding to inside of stock as had rub points but at irregular intervals. It has ribs under it to hold bottom of receiver. All along one side and just front and rear on other side. Can't see that helping an even shock vibration pattern. But I may be wrong.

Had a worn rubber on one side, where pin that holds trigger housing/piston housing to receiver.

Piston seal was embedded with a chunk of lead right at seal edge.(bottom of pic)

Seal Edge crap too

Sprayed with brake clean to see what came out, metal filings and brown crap I assume is protectent for metal when shipping.

xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 3:14pm
An air arms seal should fit if you want to use a better seal or get one from https://www.customairseals.com
---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 4:09pm
Have just got ahold of vaughans for new rubbers.Piston and barrel seal arivved yesterday. But will rember that for next time thanks.
I'm currently looking at piston which has so much space between it and the gas plunger it's been rubbing on the gas housing during cocking.

Need to make spacer. (sujestions appreciated)

The gas ram end has play where it sits in the rear housing.
Noticed that one of spring clips on trigger (previous pic) is broken.
I have nothing against gamo but I'm starting to think I scored a rifle made from parts taken off other rifles that didn't make the grade.
Sigh.

Edited by kruzaroad - 16 Aug 2022 at 4:13pm
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 4:49pm
Hmm, I would fabricate something on my lathe if it was mine. You might find something like an o-ring that is a tight enough fit to stay in place or beer can shim with tabs behind the ram?
---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic