Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

anyone used green light?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone used green light?
    Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 6:05pm
Has anyone used green light for hunting? If so how was it. I brought this today with a scope mount picatinny and a quick release mount that holds touch to side. Gave me a one mildot drop, but turns out the quick release is great to hold under gun with hand. it has white, red, and green light. Red I've used and its great. Green I haven't and are a bit dubious about it. has anyone used green light before.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 8:25pm
it's a very illuminating colour turns out. Seemed to be more visible to rabbit I tried it on. It took off, but the way I came in on them was bit noisy, so they were pretty weary. Red light was good they moved a lot less. ( not that that mattered I only got one shot off and totally missed. misjudged distance by about 20 meters under red beam shot god knows how far above it) If the green light turns out not to spook them, be a great scanning colour then switch to red. green is very bright.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 7:20pm
nope not sold on green light. rabbits tend shy away from looking at it.
lit up a couple with green. very high eye shine but for just a split sec as it turned away. went back to red they kept staring and not spooked by light.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 8:29am
have never used a green spot light but have used red and red works very well i believe thats because many animals either cant see red light or have just got used to white lights and learnt white light means danger etc,but do use scopes with green crosshairs and dots,found that strange as it may seem green lights stand out very well against foliage better than other colours,have used red when spot lighting foxs in aussi found red light didnt go as far as white light so green possibly the same be great for spot lighting possums in trees,let us know how these colours work out,there is a certian spectrum of green colours that some animals cant see,this is why posions like cynyde is green,to stop birds seeing it and eating it.
 cheers mike
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 8:52am
I tried red verses green on the car reflectors and the difference was huge. hardly even shone with green, whereas the red was stunning. The green light being a longer wave length does go substantially further worked well on the bulls. My theory at the moment (unconfirmed) is that green will pick up better on different animals. I have a sneaking suspicion cats eyes will reflect better in green as they don't shine red in red light.
I'll do some more testing with it, but at this stage for rabbits I'll primarly stick to red. I find it much easier on my eyes, I can pick out the targets easier in red and the rabbits don't shy away from it. Red also preserves night vision.
ill post more as I find it out but rabbits is red from now on.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 9:50am
just did some Web research on subject basics are. Humans have 3 light receptors in eyes animals have 2. This makes it difficult for them to see light in certain ranges. The intensity of light is more noticable to them. They can get spooked by the shadows created by the light. The light when you shine it on them tends to block out your shape, why they don't see you.( think someone shining a torch in your eyes at night)
Red light is well within colour blind spectrum of animals ( they see it as a shade of grey) Good on all Animals. Brightness affects their weariness.
Green light is much closer to to animals viable spectrum. It's brighter goes further, illuminates the target better.Casts more defined shadows. More likely to spook animal epically at higher brightness. Suppose to be good in fog, good for pigs, and hard for animals to see side on.
The shadow casting was something I never thought about, but helps explains why critters get skittry. Real life experiences will follow but for now this is a general overview.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 3:04pm
here's a couple of pics with the torch mounted to scope and point of impact change. It's 1 mildot at 26 meters
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 3:12pm
all said and done apart from drop in impact Point, stayed pretty true to form. The variation can be put down to my shooting I think. Worth it for the advantage of more steady spotlighting than trying to hold in hand. It's a quick release grip, so will only put it on when needed.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 9:43pm
Green light definitely makes critters more skittery. How ever it shows the thin crosshairs up on the scope way better than red. ( see hunting stories for how I used it)
Green light hare below.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic