Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HW77 Venom Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HW77 Venom Project
    Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 12:47pm
Newest project in - a pickup from trademe with very little info and bad pics. I could see its a Weihrauch underlever so for the price it was worth taking a punt.

Got it home for a check and it has a brass extra setback trigger, and a steel muzzle weight. Adding pics onto a couple of facebook groups the consensus is its a Venom HW77 or at least had venom parts added.  serial number says its around 1987, venom was started early 80s so the timing is right.

Shooting is very smooth, no spring noise on cocking, no twang when firing, not like a standard Weihrauch.. so Im looking forward to stripping it down and seeing whats inside.
Power is 11.5 footpound, and shot variance of about 19fps - not bad but room for improvement. May have a hardened seal, spring may be weak.

The bluing is worn and there are a few rust spots, so currently investigating getting it re-blued to a high gloss finish.
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 6:24pm
score
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 2:33pm
I had a free evening so got it stripped to its bare bones.
Spring was broken, seal was hard and had a crack forming in the face. It was 11.5fpe like that so guessing it’s a full power model.

Metal is off to be reblued, so looking forward to what he can do with it.

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 10:44pm
Little update; I got the action reblued, and it’s much better. As there was some corrosion it could’t go gloss black, as there would have had to have been too much metal removed to bright polish. But it looks much better than it did!

Also added a touch of gold on the lettering, using Tamiya enamel model paint.. a few coats and gently wiping off remaining paint left a nice gold inlay.

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 11:25pm
that lettering came out crisp.
Blueing is going to pop out against that stock.
Its going to be good to see a picture of it reassembled at end.
You got a spring and seal lined up?

J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 7:28am
Yeah stocks on its way from UK, hopefully a good piece of walnut.
I’m still thinking about the internals, I have a new HW97 spring, but being venom it would have been a bit more tuned - everything has been polished internally and the guides are custom and springs are usually short and strong vs Hw standard which are a bit longer and thinner.
I can get a V-Mach kit which is next evolution in the Venom heritage once Venom stopped, but it’s pricey..
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 7:45am
what was up with the stock in the pic above. Its got a awsome worn in look to it.(in my view)
I guess its a love or money thing. Building it for love and great gun,go the whole hog on the expense.
Building it to sell, settle for well built, firing great.
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 8:51am
The stock isn’t bad, and I’ll keep it so I can put it back on if need be. As I was doing the bluing which now looks near new I figured I would give it a fresh look and more custom. I don’t plan to sell it any time soon, as a likely wouldn’t get my money back LOL, so just trying to make a nice showpiece that shoots well. I’m still tossing up whether to go full power, or tame it down a bit to 12 foot pound
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 11:09am
I see the rear block is the same as the 97 and screws off. I wonder if Weihrauch use this for the higher power guns? The 95 has the rear block that swivels and locates into the main action.

I don't really know, but have always wondered the  reason behind that design difference.
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Pauly5 Pauly5 wrote:

I see the rear block is the same as the 97 and screws off. I wonder if Weihrauch use this for the higher power guns? The 95 has the rear block that swivels and locates into the main action.

I don't really know, but have always wondered the  reason behind that design difference.

good question - it may just be the older models; the 35 / 55 / 80 all have the screw off jobby and the 95 has the plug type.. May be a case that it was the on all their models and the ones that have carried on as is (change means less interchangable parts between old stock, new stock etc of the same model), while newer ones have 30 / 57 / 95 have the newer way of doing things...

'insert shrug icon here'

Most tutorials I see insert the spring and rear guide using the block and awkwardly trying to screw it in under tension etc, but Ron mentioned he has a jig to push the spring past the screw hole, put a pin punch in the screw hole, screw in the cap with no tention, remove pin then snug it all up.

If I go V-mach there is far less preload with the shorter strong spring - more like the TX200 (clever poms)
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic