Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

does decocking affect parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: does decocking affect parts
    Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 8:30am
a question. Will loading the gun then decocking cause damage over time. when hunting I can spend long periods of time just walking the farm or stalking the the willow paddocks. with the break barrel and gas ram this wasn't an issue but with the tx it's slower to load more fiddly to load and a spring, over all a lot more movement (the break barrel can be loaded rather stealthily) will pre loading a pellet then decocking be OK. the gun is designed to be decocked but...? I've also heard that if you push the release button to the bear trap as you cock you get rid of the clicking (as previously stated this clicking could be a real issue hunting) apart from the obvious issue of going to far and setting it into decock or not far enough to cock it, is there any other issues ppl may know of if I incorporate this practice when hunting.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 9:47am
that should be fine,i personally remove all the bear traps from my guns as i just dont see any point in them,we lived without the things for 100 years,they only fit them now to protect gunmakers against US lawsuits from idiots in my opinion,i dont like carrying cocked springers for long,so allways decock mine and leave a pellet loaded when hunting if using a springer as i dont trust mechical safetys on firearms or my pcp guns either so never carry them cocked and loaded either,personal choice mate,if you feel safer uncocked go with it.
 cheers mike
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 11:40am
removing the bear trap might be a good idea. I'm finding that every so often I have to decock as it won't release. seems to be needs a good strong pull all the way back to decocking position to set. see in time still getting use to it. but on quietness alone I'll prob be removing it. cheers for reply. I'm the same don't like carrying cocked gun. Good to know you had no issues. cheers
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 1:14pm
The anti bear trap is a safety measure because if a sear fails when you are loading a pellet you will likely lose the end of your thumb...
Decocking wont wear parts as long as you pull the underlever right back in order to take the pressure of the piston rod off the sears - its basically just firing the gun but letting the underlever take the spring pressure rather than letting the piston fly home.

If you remove it you should eliminate the clack sound you get when cocking, just remember to then make a habbit to keep hold of the underlever firmly when loading a pellet - knowing air arms quality nothing should fail, but in the rare case something does, you are already taking up the load with your hand holding the lever.

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 2:24pm
I've got into the habit of holding the lever (no different than holding barrel) also turns out that if you push the bear trap release button when cocking, no sound, doesn't refuse to release as much and still have safety of bear catch. so might stick to that for now. gun seems to have settled (300+ pellets) new scope about to go on. rebuild targets for shooting range and set up paper targets and hopefully catch that hour of still in the morning and get sighted in for actual setup be using. anyway me a line level and a builders spirt level have a date with a vertical line in scope. 😊
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic