Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hatsan vortex piston rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hatsan vortex piston rebuild
    Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 4:38pm
Good afternoon all,

I just received my Hatsan fill probe to reseal my Hatsan vortex piston for my .25cal. 

Quite an amazing design, from the looks they are assembled into the rifle un pressurized then pressurized to 145bar through the port, must make assemble a breeze compared to fighting against trying to compress the piston. 

Just need to get 4 new O rings and ill report back once I have it back together and shooting    

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 5:38pm
sweet. what's it like to shoot and how's the build quality?
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 8:37pm
Good evening.

Today was the day. Brought the O rings and replaced them in the brass end of the piston 8mm X 2mm if anyone else is going to rebuild theirs. Gave the O rings and piston a good lube with silicone grease, when I disassembled the piston I noticed that everything was almost dry. Reassembled everything and pumped it up to 150bar. First shot was perfect and only 1 inch down from the original zero at 40m so I must have got the scope back almost in the exact place! Put 10 shot through it and its running very smooth. Will shoot it through the Chrony tomorrow to see what speeds and consistency is like (originally was getting an average of 720fps with JSB kings) 

Next up, a few mods for my Crosman 2250 is with the old tool maker down the road getting some tasty treats machined up, lets just say bulk filled with a twist........

Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 12:49pm
Piles of starlings on the back lawn so decided to get the Hatsan .25 cal out instead of my modified CR600w that is my chosen choice for starlings. Picked out two starlings at 45m one looked like an adult and other a juvenile. Slocked the adult and the juvenile came back for a look on the fence and that got it too. Absolutely pleased how smooth this is shooting since the rebuild and accuracy at 45m is spot on. 

Got my Webley and Scott .25cal in parts and will be rebuilding this over the next week so will do a comparison between the two once its up and running. 

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 1:38pm
looks like the bunnies gonna be in trouble when ya go for them. expensive starling pellets. I'm glad it's preforming for you. You must be stoked that your effort has paid off.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 4:00pm
Shot this through the chrony yesterday average of 728fps (original average from new was 720fps) so i must have done something right :) Next step is to check POI at 20yrd out to 80/100yrds

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 7:04pm
wow and I just take an educated guess. Which has of course has led to educated misses. lol. What set up is that?
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 7:25pm
There are alot of ballistic calculators out there. This is the Chairgun app which I find very user friendly. Check it out, let me know if you need a hand setting it up.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 7:30pm
Another option if you dont have a chronograph, is get a big board of some sort, mark a aiming point, then start at 10yrds going out in 10 yrd increments per shot and measuring the POI for each 10yrds (always use the same aiming point for each shot) Once you get out to your maximum shooting distance (I go to 80m for my .25) you can use strips of electrical tape and place this horizontal along the board and go mack and see the POI through your scope are if you have milldot you can correspond these with them. Also take not of what zoom setting you use. I generally only use the lowest zoom setting if using milldots. (I hope this makes any sense) others will have other ideas

Edited by Billbobnz - 07 Aug 2022 at 7:32pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 7:39pm
yep actually saw that on video other day about drop off, so makes sense.
Downloaded the app. Looks good.
Was looking at chronographs just before as didn't get 392s.
Its a toss up between chrono or putting money towards range finder and doing the box trick with that for drop in field. Misjudged a few shots now but not sure want to get reliant on range finder in field
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic