Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Hunting Gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UK Webley Patriot .25

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UK Webley Patriot .25
    Posted: 13 May 2022 at 1:12pm
An airgun thats been on my 'list' for some time now - a big beast of a thing, this one dated 1997. UK made Webley Patriot in .25 flavour.

known as a scope killer, I imported some Sportsmatch rings which have a hardened steel pin that fits the grooves in the Patriots rail. Then mounted a Hawke Varmint scope. After a good 50 shots at the range last night its holding strong and not moved a millimetre. winner.

A quick 6 shots over the chrony with JSB Kings showed 710fps, and a spread of only 6fps. = 28.44 footpound - great for pest control; good power and not too slow either.

It sighted in OK, most shots touched off a rest, which I was impressed with as its got quite the jolt.
Cocking is surprizingly not too bad, takes some effort but less than I thought it would.

Last nights shoot at the Auckland Air Rifle Club was a bit of a fun shoot - 15 shots standing, unsupported, 25 yards, at the 'super roundel' target, plus a compulsory shot at the fly for bonus points.
I shot pretty averagely indeed! If I was a hunter there would be some safe bunnies...
I couldnt get my head around the trigger - a light first stage then a long firmer second stage with letoff somewhere between there and the triggers physical stop point - so very hard to predict.

I took the loss, then with some open range time gave the adjustment screw on the trigger a bit of a turn; suddenly I could feel the break point! This changed how the rifle shot entirely! The adjustement had been lightened to a point that the second stage was gone altogether, and it seemed the initial light pull is just some free movement before the trigger firms up for the first stage. Its now set with predictable let off, a firm first stage comes to an identifyable stop then a bit more pressure to fire.

Shooting with elbows rested on a bench, rifle lightly held and allowed to do its thing, the next 10 shots went into a largeish ragged group. Not bad considering its recoil!

The rifle oozes 90s Brit airgun charm, large but not over weight, nicely balanced, it fires with a kick and a twang, but is pretty consistent and potentially very accurate once you get used to using it!

Edited by J-S - 13 May 2022 at 1:12pm
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
joeboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joeboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 8:51pm
Thats an interesting gun, I think I was shooting right next to you. Looking forward to the next meeting.

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 9:48am
holding out on me Jono you never said you picked up one these my brother has one they destroy scopes and mounts all right,got have right mounts and tough scopes,you on right track with the mounts as they destroy alloy mounts,good rifles tho still get a laugh when my brother first test fired his in his garage,blew holes right thru his backstop then thru his wooden door for 10 shots before he checked and found the damage,
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by joeboy joeboy wrote:

Thats an interesting gun, I think I was shooting right next to you. Looking forward to the next meeting.

Yeah I had this at Howick the other night. Not my usual target rifle but good to get it sighted in
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by dvlnme dvlnme wrote:

holding out on me Jono you never said you picked up one these my brother has one they destroy scopes and mounts all right,got have right mounts and tough scopes,you on right track with the mounts as they destroy alloy mounts,good rifles tho still get a laugh when my brother first test fired his in his garage,blew holes right thru his backstop then thru his wooden door for 10 shots before he checked and found the damage,
 cheers mike

This is new in the collection; only scoped it up on Wednesday and gave it a run on Thursday at the club. It’s had a few shots so har and the mounts and scope are sturdy. I did buy a B Square mount that was designed for these - they have 2 steel pins for the rail to keep it still, but it hasn’t arrived from Canada yet, and the Sportsmatch came quickly. The Hawke is warranted on springers so it’s safe to use that - if it fails it’s up for repair or replacement.

They have quite the kick, so I haven’t used it at home a lot - my pellet catcher is full of shredding tyres and has stopped everything so far.
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 8:23am
my dumb brother didnt have a decent backstop he didnt realise just how powerful these rifles are at the time,hes in aussie and has been shooting foxs with his,but went thru several scope mounts before he got it right,
 cheers mike
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 8:07pm
Great post, at 28 ft/lbs the Webley means business.
Standing target - I am happy just to stay on the paper and score so well done.
Nice group on the turkey.
Information about mounts and scope is great as I continue to look for the "springer solution".

.25 Pellet tins empty fast when having fun.
I use 1.6 gramme Apolo Domed at $14 for 200 pellets.

Lets keep the springer stories coming.

cheers all
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 11:36am
Originally posted by mercs mercs wrote:

Great post, at 28 ft/lbs the Webley means business.
Standing target - I am happy just to stay on the paper and score so well done.
Nice group on the turkey.
Information about mounts and scope is great as I continue to look for the "springer solution".

.25 Pellet tins empty fast when having fun.
I use 1.6 gramme Apolo Domed at $14 for 200 pellets.

Lets keep the springer stories coming.

cheers all

Nothing like shooting a good springer!
Its definitely a well built hunting rifle. I dont have anywhere to really hunt, but its still been on 'the list' a long time and glad to have it.

For this one I rang up the distributor of Hawke to check they were warranted and bought new - simply because if it failed it would be replaced under warranty.
Ill give it a few good shoots at the club - probably on the 'challenge' / fun shoots where the points dont matter, to see how it holds up.

I do see what you mean about the tin of pellets. After sighting in, then shooting the target, then testing and adjusting the trigger afterwards, it used over 1/3 of the tin, whereas with .177 I wouldnt have even noticed pellets were used!
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 10:18am
I've just picked up one of these too, except it looks like mine is the hatsan made TR version (someone will know did Hatsan buy Webley and Scott) was originally on trademe for over $700 but then the cocking leaver gave up the ghost so I got it dirt cheap! Will be interesting to use it along side with my .25 hatsan for a comparison. The Webley has a full length barrel so I will hopefully be thinking that it will be more accurate at longer ranges than the hatsan (hatsan has quite a short barrel before the inbuilt suppressor)
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 12:54pm
Nice work on getting the group size down. Obviously a gun that needs skill to shoot, hat off to you. Be interested to see further posts on it at varying distance distance.
what pellet are you shooting through it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic