Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Auckland Based Air Gunner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BushSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auckland Based Air Gunner
    Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 1:52pm
Good Day All
Im new to this forum so I believe an introduction is expected.

I have got back into Air Rifles after a significant interval and I am very surprised and the absolutely amazing developments in this sector. PCP's wow this tech is just mind blowing.

Anyway, I started my early air rifle years running around the African bush shooting everything from field mice, cane rats to monkeys, I once even took out a porcupine.

The rifle I used was an old Diana that was passed down to me, but I cant say just which one it was, did the job though.
After the my time in the army I made the move to full on hunting rifles and did many trips around Southern African and was privileged enough to hunt most of the big African game.

After making the shift to New Zealand back in 2008 I have not had the chance, until now, to get back into air gunning. 
In early 2021 I purchased my first NZ air rifle from Gun City, a BSA Silentium .22 since then I have added to my collection. I now also have a GAMO Swarm Magnum 10x Gen2 .22, Crossman 1322 .22 very modified, Air Chief CR600W .22 CO2
Yes, it has become a bit of an obsession, but I and both of my sons are loving the time we spend together working on the rifles and hunting small game around the Auckland region.

I have been very lucky with getting several permissions from land owners around Auckland to shoot small game on their properties and man it brings back so many memories of my younger years. I am so happy that I can share this with my sons and that they now also get to experience what I did as a kid.
I look forward to sharing with this forum as well as learning from the many skilled members who are willing to share their skills.

Happy Plinking

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 7:34am
airguns today have become very sophisicated,they very different to airguns 20/30 years ago,the really good ones are fully the eqaul in accurracy to match grade firearms,with the possible exception of chamois and tarr there is nothing in nz you cant effectively hunt with some form of airgun,if target shootings your interest,its just as hard and fun with airguns as it is with firearms,airguns can be legally shot in your back yard as long as its safe and dosnt annoy your neighbours if in town,there is a lot airguns can be used for that you cant do with firearms safely or legally and for those who like tinkering with their guns there is a lot you can do to improve,modify,customise,or evan build with airguns today,plenty to keep you intersted and busy as we today live in the golden age of airguns because airguns have come of age as a serious form of hunting and target shooting gun,welcome to forum.
 cheers mike
BushSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BushSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 11:19am
Mike, thanks for response. 
joeboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joeboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 2:47pm
I saw on youtube 4000psi getting put into a large pcp rifle. You would want to have decent fittings at that pressure, pretty dangerous.

Edited by joeboy - 22 Apr 2022 at 2:49pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BushSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 8:55am
Yip, and its held up to the face, Shocked
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 9:11pm
Welcome from Stratford, pest control a great help for native species so good hunting.
I see by your rifle choices a solid bias towards .22

cheers for now

I have the earlier Gamo Magnum Replay 10 and use the H&N 1.2 gramme Barracuda Hunter Extreme pellets.

GamoMagnum replay .22
Pellet BrandH&N
Pellet typeBHE
Average fps816
Grains19.09
Grammes1.21
foot pounds28.23
Joules38.28

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BushSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 9:12am
Good Morning mercs
It certainly appears I have a bias to the .22 calibre and I have now just purchased a Crosman 2250b
as a project gun.
I have placed my orders on GMAC in the UK for so many parts Confused but its going to be fun.

I have finished the upgrading of the Crosman 1322 and man it is awesome, so quiet with its new silencer from Youngs Airguns and with the new GMAC flat top valve kit installed, its pushing a 14.3 gr Crosman Premier Hollow Point to nearly 700FPS, very happy with that.

I have also tuned and modified the GAMO Magnum and it maxed out with the same 14.3 gr hollow point at 1840FPS which is just nuts, made a hell of a crack. I am now only running heavier 25.39gr JSB Exact Jumbo Monster's to slow things up to around 950-960FPS. I may even try the H&N 30gr Slugs and see how they perform.

Anyway, I will give updates on the new project gun as it progresses. 

Stay well. 
jwabfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 2:54pm
What sort of tuning did you do to get 1840fps!!!!? 
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 9:23am
Yeah I would like to know what kind of tuning did you do for that kind of power as well. as they are rated at 1250 fps with alloy pellets which are super light. makes it hard to believe 1840 with 14.3 gr pellets. Most PCPS cant do that. thats over 100 foot pounds. thats .22 rimfire power.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 7:40am
i would be interested to know as well just how you managed to get 1800plus from that rifle as nunga said thats 100fpe and rimfire territory,i have owned 22 pcps that put out 100plus fpe with 40gr lead bullets and there are a few 22 cal pcps that can doso today,but have never heard of gas ram rifle being capable of doing so before,not saying cant be done,just never heard of anyone doing so before,so like nunga would be interested in how you did so.
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic