Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Hunting Gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saxby Palmer Revolver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saxby Palmer Revolver
    Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 3:22pm
Not quite hunting, but theres no collectables section Wink

Stumbled upon something ive wanted for a few years; A Saxby Palmer air cartridge revolver.
The revolver itself is made in Germany by Weihrauch - a real steel revolver that the clever Brits made into air pistols with the air cartridge system.
Each cartridge is pumped up with air and a pellet goes in the nose and is propelled as the revolver strikes and discharges the air.

They dont come up very often here, and they arent cheap, but it was well worth the price for a nice piece for the collection. It came with a pump too which was a bonus.

This one was kept many years unused, so the cartridges dont hold air at the moment, and it has a nice case that was made by previous owner - they were unsure of the legality of owning it when they were banned from being imported so he made this case to keep it hidden in plain sight - on a book shelf!

Luckily they are legal to own, shoot and transfer so a nice piece to show off and shoot occasionally (parts are rare so I wouldnt want to wear anything out! - if one can wear out a weihrauch that is??) I have a lead on some more reliable modern cartridges so hopefully I can get it up and running soon to check the accuracy of that HW barrel.

Edited by J-S - 11 Apr 2022 at 3:24pm
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 7:54am
awsume guns had qiute few brocock and saxby palmer rifles and pistols over the years,biggest issuse is getting seals for cartridges which need replacing regularly,the pistols i believe are restricted to permit only as are designated particually dangerous airguns,unless thats changed under the new rules,might pay check that one out,the pistols are converted firearms made in germany by a company called rohm i think from memory from 38 special revolvers,last one i had was a mk3 fully wooded converted 303 rifle,was lot fun to shoot and have had several of the different revovlers,they allso converted 357 mag uberty winchesters to air cartridges but havnt seen one those,allso have a saxby palmer bolt action rifle that was built to use air air cartridge size of 12 gauge shotshell,should kept them all coz so rare now you were lucky to get yours,so good score mate.
 cheers mike
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 8:07am
just  remembered bit history on these cartridge airguns,they came out due to co2 pistols being banned in the UK years ago,thats since changed but at time they were banned co2 pistols for some reason,and brocock and saxby palmer came out with these to replace the co2 pistols they were too expensive to fully replace co2 pistols for many shooters and the co2 ban was eventually lifted and they became not so desirable anymore,not sure how many were made and sold or evan if still made but both companys still exist making mostly pcp rifles these days,not that many came nz before they got designated particually danderous airguns and put on permit only so disappeared into collections on licence,i know of a couple still around here being used,powerwise bout equal to a 22 cal co2 pistol producing approx 450fps with 12 gr pellet from memory so bout equal to a 22 cal 2240 standard co2 pistol.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 11:39am
Originally posted by dvlnme dvlnme wrote:

just  remembered bit history on these cartridge airguns,they came out due to co2 pistols being banned in the UK years ago,thats since changed but at time they were banned co2 pistols for some reason,and brocock and saxby palmer came out with these to replace the co2 pistols they were too expensive to fully replace co2 pistols for many shooters and the co2 ban was eventually lifted and they became not so desirable anymore,not sure how many were made and sold or evan if still made but both companys still exist making mostly pcp rifles these days,not that many came nz before they got designated particually danderous airguns and put on permit only so disappeared into collections on licence,i know of a couple still around here being used,powerwise bout equal to a 22 cal co2 pistol producing approx 450fps with 12 gr pellet from memory so bout equal to a 22 cal 2240 standard co2 pistol.
 cheers mike

The 80s / 90s was a good time for Brit airgun innovation. I must read more into their history as well.
I did have a good read into airgun laws before buying; as well as asking a couple of people I know that have them and Ron Young, and it seems there is no mention of restriction on them, with the only Specially Dangerous airguns being the Larc, and PCP air rifles:

" 3Specially dangerous airguns
  • (1)The airguns known as the Larc International Model 19A and the Larc International Model M19-AMP are hereby declared to be specially dangerous airguns.

(2)Specified pre-charged pneumatic air rifles are declared to be specially dangerous airguns.

Clause 3(2): added, on 15 October 2010, by clause 5 of the Arms (Restricted Weapons and Specially Dangerous Airguns) Amendment Order 2010 (SR 2010/308)."

Th cartridges dont hold air at the moment, the pellets were horribly oxidised and powdery which I assume is likely inside the caretridges as well... But there are newer versions available in UK.
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 8:01am
used to be able to get kits to restore the cartridges seals,may still be able to so worth checking out ,pretty clever things those cartridges,they are a work of art in themselves ,this ones a keeper Jono as they are quite rare in nz particually in that conditition,and very few were ever imported here/
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by dvlnme dvlnme wrote:

used to be able to get kits to restore the cartridges seals,may still be able to so worth checking out ,pretty clever things those cartridges,they are a work of art in themselves ,this ones a keeper Jono as they are quite rare in nz particually in that conditition,and very few were ever imported here/
 cheers mike

They are very clever! a bit of effort to pump to get them charged but part of the fun I guess.
Ill keep these as original cartridges and will look to get some more modern ones which re compatible but more efficient design than these servo type.
This is a keeper for sure
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 11:21am
So each servo cartridge has a pellet loaded in the nose, and they all look like this.. Yuck..
Its not a surprise the cartridges wont hold air, each sheds a layer of corroded lead dust when removed - I put gloves on to get the rest out!

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 9:44am
Thanks for making the write up. Sure is a great collectable air pistol.
---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 2:22pm
A little update on this, I haven’t actually shot it much, however I have got some newer cartridges for it and a charging head that works with my pcp foot pump - so 1-2 pumps vs 8 on the slim Jim!

We are also starting air pistol shooting at my local club, so this is somewhat morphine into a target revolver..

I added a steel bull barrel shroud I sourced from an air cartridge guru in UK, as well as walnut grips which are nicely contoured.

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 3:37pm
So each shot, a labour of love? Very cool.

What's the accuracy like?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic