Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tasco 3-9x40AO Air Rifle Scope Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tasco 3-9x40AO Air Rifle Scope Review
    Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 6:04pm
Supply of air rated scopes has been thin of late with Nikko Stirling being noticeably absent.
Gamo seem to have maintained some availability and Gun City look to have their own in-house brand on stock.

Time to discover what else is out there.
Reading an on-line review had Tasco as functional but durability was unproven, which seemed like a good place for me to get started.

Tasco are offering a number of options including a 2-7x32AO and 3-9x40AO

They have brand name to live up to so I cannot see them rating their scopes for airguns without some merit.
I fitted it to a Gamo CFX as I hade recently put this through its paces using a Gamo 3-9x40AO with excellent results so any difference was going to be attributable to the scope or shooter on the day.

First Impressions
The scope was well packaged in a box using plastic bubble wrap.
Mounting rings, hex key and cleaning cloth were provided.
Air Rating is clearly labelled on box and scope.
Product manual and warranty were available from www.tasco.com

Session 1
Sighting-in was easy and 20 yard accuracy was proven from bench rest position then assessed using Target Scan App. 
8.7mm diameter group was under good conditions but a little rushed at days end..

Session 2
Snapped off some nice standing shots at 25 yards
Seated position 50 pellet plinking session at 25 yards using a 1 inch spinner without a miss.

Session 3
Turret moved vertically 1.5 turns up then down and returned to original POA exactly.
Turrett moved horizontally 1.5 turns left then right and returned to POA exactly.
Objective and power adjusters worked repeatedly full turns without issue.
50 pellets at paper targets at up to 30 yards, resting on a fence post shot several 20mm groups.

Initial findings
Good AO settings 
Turret adjusters are precise but needed a bit of use to settle.
AO and power rings move well and did not wander.
Quite usable on max power but I settled on 7x at 20 - 30 yards.

Cost NZ$200
Warranty - lifetime original owner

Outcome
Hard to fault and appears to be good value.
Optically, I have better but not at this price.
Proof will be in longevity, warranty and continued availability.

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 8:47am
good review,have had many tasco scopes on firearms over the years,never had a problem with any of them,optically they were never as good as my burris and lepold scopes but they were significantly cheaper as well but allways good value for money,so would expect if tasco was getting into airgun scopes they wont be marketing scopes as suitable for airguns if they werenot suitable,as most us aware spring and gas ram rifles will very quickly destroy any scope not rated for this type of airgun within couple hundred shots so cant see tasco putting a good reputation on the line by marketing scopes for airguns if they wont last the distance,biggest thing with springer scopes is they need etched reticals.if tasco scopes have this type retical they should last the distance and think most scopes today have etched reticals,heavy recoiling springers will destroy often good quality scopes particually the larger ones the bigger the scope on these heavy recoiling rifles the more likely they could fail,i see gamo now has a recoil absorbing scope rail now on their magnum spring and gas ram rifles so time will tell how effective that works i guess. its good to see other scope makers getting into airgun scopes and at a price many can afford to.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 10:16am
Nice review. Airgun scopes are becoming more availanble - The go to was the Hawke Sport HD but they discontinued the range and the replacememts are around double the price. 
Nikko Stirling has the Air King which I have found to be quite ghood so far (a little big for the fixed rings on my Theoben so I havent been anle to test it on high power for a good length of time)
Great to see Tasco come to the party too! I havent tried one in the flesh but they look good in Youngs counter - I may have to give one a go.
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 1:28pm
jono can you email me my phone packed a wobbly and has deleted all my mail for the fone and computer,so have lost your mail address etc so havnt been able to contact you mate.
 cheers mike
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 7:39pm
After 4 months service another Tasco scope has been purchased and mounted on the .177 Sig 20ft/lb break barrel as a real durability test. 
Once again I am impressed with the scopes clarity at higher magnification.
Fitted using a SportsMatch DM80 Dampa Mount ($140) to give it a reasonable chance of survival.
Turning out to be a good general purpose option.
The scanned target group was with all care and proves the package but far from real world conditions.

500 pellets and no issues so it has already exceeded expectations.

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 7:30pm
Thanks for the review. I am looking for a scope for my HW97k, so something else to look at.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 8:52pm
Another session with the Tasco scope

Sig break barrel using .67 gramme SigAir Dagger pellets.
Scope was previously dialled in at 50 metres 

Target was was set 1.5 metres from ground at a distance of 50.3 metres.
First three shots were very pleasing and then a good breeze of 15kph established from over my right shoulder. (and did not relent)
I adjusted 25mm to the right (best guess) for this and still ended up left and definitely did not anticipate the lift.
The paddock slopes down to the right so perhaps a wind effect from the ground.
It will be interesting to put some wind indicators out to see if the lift is real and repeatable.

target measurements 11.5mm bull 112mm black 153mm outer

mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 9:57pm
Gamo .177 Black Fusion

Wanting to get back and sort this scope buster for some time (purchased July 2019).
It has a history of failed scopes.

Tasco 3-9x40AO was purchased and installed using a dovetail SportsMatch DM70 mount.
Scope turrets needed some work initially but now responding well to single clicks.

Pellet choice .67 gramme H&N Hades.
Initial grouping is very good.
100 pellets to date and no issues.

I look forward to getting it out with a spotlight now weather is clearing.

Saving grace for this rifle has always been a very usable set of sights.

The Dampa Mount has very firm rubber bushings between upper and lower sections.
I have used them for several years and consider the $160 cost worthwhile but it is very difficult to determine how much recoil they absorb. It may take a few more years to prove how effective they are and a good scope warranty remains top of the list.

J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 1:42pm
The Theoben Eliminatior uses the same rubber bushing damper (likely made by sportsmatch for theoben) so the systme has been unchanged for some decades - must go somewhere in proving their usefulness...

It may be a case that they dont absorb a lot of the recoil movement but kull some of the vibration to the scope. Scopes are made for guns, guns recoil, but spring guns I imagine a lot of spring vibration that would transfer through the gun, scope and the delicate internals.
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 8:17pm
The third Tasco 3-9x40AO mounted on the Gamo Black Fusion has been returned under warranty after losing some clarity and developing an internal rattle.

Picked up a Tasco 2-7x32AO and will report on how that is working in a few months time.
I know of several Tasco 4x32AO in service so I will check in when I find out how they are handling springer rifles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic