Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Compressors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delta_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compressors
    Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 2:48pm
For all the PCP shooters out there....

What compressors are you using? I'm debating between the Coltri Icon range (NZ stock should arrive within 2 weeks) and the Hill EC-3000. Both are very different in terms of price and function i.e. gun fill/tank top-up vs tank fill. Keen to understand what is being used here.

Cheers
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2021 at 12:54pm
I use the Nardi.... see attached manual: uploads/420/Instruction_Man_ATLANTIC_100.pdf

It's great - about $5,000 when I bought it in NZ about 5 years ago. It has a timer too and can be set to auto-stop at any Bar up to 240Bar.  Also, it can easily be converted to provide 300Bar if required.

This has given me great independence - no more reliance on Dive Shops, etc... Smile
All it needs is a 15amp plug socket in your home (which I had installed by an electrician)....

Expensive but designed to last 1,000 years (well, almost!!!). The NZARMY fire stations use larger NARDI kit (because its reliable).....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2021 at 4:30pm
most of us dont own compressors,i like many rural hunters do lot shooting and have got by with several large dive bottles for 20 years,but i allso have a mate who owns dive shop,which is handy eh!!most who do own compressors tend to use the cheap small chinese made 300bar jobs,which work ok if maintained for quite few years and parts cheap and readily available for,these will top up quite large bottles if not run for more than 20 mins at a time but work well on smaller carbon fiber hpa bottles,most dont have $5 grand  to spend on top quality compressors so the $4/500 ones are what we use these do the job ok but do have a life span but are inexpensive and readily available on line from china with readily and cheap spare parts,how long the last depends on the user,wether maintained properly and how long they are run at any given time,they are water cooled but definatly last long if run using engine coolant not just water,gun city sells 300bar 12 volt ones that will fiil most reasonble sized carbon fiber bottles or top guns and bottles up in the field for approx $500,havnt used one so cant say how good they are,but as long will fill smaller bottles or  guns when away from home,i guess they would be fine,biggest hassel with hpa bottles is the yearly tested required to be able to get them filled at $50 a time as this can expensive if like me you have more than one bottle needing testing at a time,i use lot air coz shoot a lot and allso build pcp guns,so lot my air gets used in testing and tuning guns far more than ever used hunting,i need good compressor but like many others just cant afford a really good one,so make do with what i have like many others do i guess,i tend to think most use have famillys so money for things like good compressors not in the familly budjet eh!!
 i need a new framing nailgun so am going to buy one nz made 300bar pcp nailguns shortly these fortunatly come with a very good 300 bar compressor,thats tough enuf to with stand building site conditions for years,so thats going to be my pcp airgun compressor as well and the nailgun and compreesor dont cost anywhere near $5 grand,multy tasking eh!!
 cheers mike   

Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 5:31pm
Ummmm.... at 200 - 300 Bar, I'm not sure I'd trust my body to some cheap Chinese model?!!!!!!!

I like my legs and arms! Especially Air Arms!!!!!!!! Smile

Ho Ho Ho! Happy Christmas....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 9:44am
I have a GX CS2 12V air cooled PCP compressor with provided AC power adapter on order from Gun City.

Not sure how many shipments they have had but last lot seemed to sell quickly and I missed out, back order was 3 months and is planned to arrive in January.

It is only suited to light duty which will be fine as I am only filling a small reservoir.

Price is $600 and I would have been prepared to spend more for water cooling or better controls but could not find another NZ supplied option.
New bottle with connections $625 from dive shop.
New hand pump $300 from Gun City.

I will provide a product review in a few months.

I have not been able to find a NZ supplier of the High Pressure Air in-line oil/water filters to use with hand pump, anyone having info on a local supplier or trusted trademe importer it would be appreciated.
Hand pump options are available and sold without filters. Plenty of advice and science for including a filter system to improve longevity of seals and metal parts.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 10:35am
i have noticed that lack filters with hand pumps to,dont know why they supply them without filters,coz we need filters in nz due to humidty etc,had couple pumps some years ago and all caused and had problems with moisture,i wouldnt use one without filters as dont trust the moisture traps most have preventing moisture getting into guns hpa cylanders,cant be that hard to find the right filter material as dive shops must use it,must check that one out as got mate owns dive shop,you may have to order the filters etc from uk,but should be same type material used in the small compressors from gun city mate if correct shuold be just a matter of making up something to put it in and attach to hand pump.
 cheers mike

delta_mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delta_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 12:18pm
I think most of the issues with the aliexpress specials are they are rebranded something or other that all require the same amount of up keep. I was looking at the Yong Hengs a while ago and $300 was a "fair" price but I'm not sure what they are now doing pricing wise as it cost $700nz odd just to ship one (on aliexpress that is).

Let us know how you get on with the GX2 when you get it. I saw those on Amazon but same issue with shipping.

The Nardi looks great. Nice size.

I'm hesitant to buy anything that requires a parts kit or similar to be shipped from overseas (eg for the EC3000). Worse if something breaks and there a no local dealers. Anthony over at Divedoctors seems to know his stuff and makes swallowing a 5k pill somewhat easier from a support perspective? I've spent more on a single optic but trying to justify that cost to fill one tank....lol. If there are local shooters in the Welly area that would benefit from this then maybe..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 2:00pm
maybe the solution is for airgun clubs to buy a really good compressor and have the members all chip in to buy it,but think coz very few club members now dont own or use pcps that it could be hard to sell that option to most clubs these days,the fire arms lic requirment sort put the breaks on pcps for many these days in nz so many have gone to using top quality spring or gas ram rifles which dont require the firearms lic etc,facts are nz has some the toughest regulations on airguns in the world now,evan the UK got it better than us now,and that says a lot eh!!~the rules here are actually rediculous today,and think its gunna get worse too,pcps used to a growing market among serious airgun hunters and target shooters,but thats all changed now,so thats why no one imports compressors we can afford to buy locally as there is no market for them now unfortunatly for those of us who own pcp airguns,guys like myself use lot hpa and its getting expensive to keep bottles in test and filled,simply because the hpa bottles most use are actually dive breathing bottles so come under the breathing apparatous testing rules,and most dive shops cant or wont fill carbon fiber 300bar bottles dosnt make it any easier either,i use large volumes of hpa just testing guns i build,not counting any hunting i do,so need a compressor i just cant afford a good one,running a machineshop is an expensive exercise,there is allways something that needs replacing in consumables.tooling etc so i have to balance what i can spend and where to spend it to get value for money etc unfortunatly tho definatly need a compressor its way down the piority list for me as it very probery is for most familly guys too.
 cheers mike
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 12:11am
I've got a Nomad 2 that i've had for 2 years now. I've filled my guns approx 180 times. I had an issue where the steel frame that holds the motor and crank together cracked along a weld. I took it apart, got it welded and it's working fine again.
If I had to buy one now, i'd get the Hill, as a couple friends have them and say they're good.
As for filters, the nomad has a type of moisture trap, and the filter like a cigarette filter, and this doesn't seem to get wet at all.

If you can locate a second gen Airbow compressor, they are meant to be good too.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 6:37am
i have been trying to get just the compressor for an airbow nail gun for some time,seem be bit hard to get for some reason,called company several times but they not really interested in selling me one possibly because not going to use it for one their nailguns and dont want be responsible for their produce not being used for something else they didnt produce the compressor for.their gen 2 compressors are really good and come with a decent sized carbon bottle as well,
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic