Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member intro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member intro
    Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 8:56pm
Hi All, I bought my first airgun at the start of this most recent lockdown - a 0.22 Gamo magnum with a 3-9x40 Gamo scope. I quickly got addicted to chasing rabbits. Got over a 100 at my in laws place in Thames. Longest shot was 95ish meters. Stoked with my gun as I have since hit a few others at 70ish meters. Have now bought a second rifle: an older CFX which I intend to mod. Will replace the spring with a Custom Air Seals gas ram and redo all the seals. Now to find somewhere to hunt closer to Virusville (Auckland)
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 12:47pm
welcome bud,been bit quiet here for last few weeks but its a good forum,never been fan Gamo springers til few weeks ago was given a 22 shadow with gamo 3-9x 32 scope is a factory suppressed rifle made hunting and fishing 10/12 years ago doubt its fire more than 2/300 pellets til i got it,but the damned thing shoots very well.much to my surprise so have decided to keep it and use it,big deal for me coz i dont generally like springers,pcps my thing,took the bear trap saftey out of it so can uncock it without firing it,hate those things as cant see the point in them,had to repair quiet few springers over the years because the damned things causing some to dry fire without pellets and breaking springs etc to uncock them,but i am quite happy with my Gamo springer now,and never thought would be and will a handy rifle to have,sounds like you having great time on the rabbits they coming out round here now too,
 cheers mike
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 5:58pm
Welcome from the west, there is some great back reading on the site for a rainy day. There is some good technical knowledge on this forum and never a bad word unless it is about Gamo pellets......
Pest control, plinking and targets I enjoy them all, I have several air guns including a 2019 Gamo G Magnum replay, mine operates at 29 ft/lb and is setup for 40 yards. Favourite pellet for it is the H&N hunter extreme which is heavy enough to knock the edge off and also loads nicely into the magazine. The packaged 3-9x40 scope appears indestructible and I have wrecked dozens. Its a beast to use and I am amazed that it can group to an inch at distance. I always expect a clean dispatch with this unit.

My Gamo 2010 .22 CFX is used for target shooting and has proven very accurate. Like yours it is also undergoing a long deserved overhaul and conversion to gas piston so will keep you up to date on parts and suppliers and I will post a before and after review.

The Gamo Shadow series is a pleasure to shoot, mine is the .25 IGT using the Gamo 3-9x40AO I cannot fault it and while it was bought to fill a calibre gap in my collection it has proven itself effective with many clean hits on unsuspecting varmints.
jwabfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 7:20pm
thanks for the welcome Mike. Been watching lots of PCP videos and would love to get my FAL eventually to be able to own one. The wait is apparently 12 months plus for your application to get processed which was why I got my Gamo. Ammo is certainly a lot cheaper with an air rifle.

The forum does seem really quiet. Not many NZ airgun fans....?
jwabfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 7:29pm
thanks for the welcome mercs. My Gamo is the G Magnum Mach 1 but without the swarm magazine. I tried lots of different pellets before settling on crosman pointed. Cheap at 20 odd bucks for 500 and gave repeatable accuracy. Gamo pellets were absolute kak, poorly made with some missing part of the pellet skirt. Also tried JSB hades diablo and Gun City / H&N hollow points but neither that great.  When I did find the hollow point pellets in a rabbit they never appeared to break up like they're supposed to so didn't seem to be of much benefit.

Keen to read your update on your CFX after you've finished giving it a birthday. I'll remember to do the same with mine.

Found a Bushnell AR 4.5-18X40 scope on the nzhuntingandfishing forum which i can't wait to try out and will use on the CFX initially with Hawke rings.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 7:48am
i too have tryed many types hollow point pellets but never did find most expanded as said evan in 40 fpe rifles,i am an old lead bullet shooter with firearms and its well known among lead bullet shooters that it takes close to 1000fps on target for evan very soft lead bullets to expand reliably,so i came to the same conclusion about hollow point pellets,the only reliable expanding pellets are poly mag preditors in my experience but what have found with certain hollow points is they can be very accurate its the same with certaion hollow point bullets in firearms,its got something to do with a ball of air building up in the hollow point for some reason changing the ballistic coificent of the projectile some how i believe,dont qoute me on that but thats the theory i believe from lot reading i have done on the subject.
 have found crosman premiers and h/n barracuda hollow points to very accurate in most my pcps,as to wether they ever expand!!never found one to know for sure,gas ram conversions sound like a great idea,they definatly work extremly well in few i have used,Alex Magon at Magair has done quite a few gas ram conversions i believe he could be good source info on these conversions.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 2:43pm
Welcome.

There are lots of negative reviews of cheap pellets, but when it comes down to it if your rifle likes a cheap pellet then use it and enjoy the savings!

Same with the Gamo rifle, im not a fan but thats more based on the company - a rant for another day, and havent owned one lately. But if you are finding a useful tool then thats fantastic. the main thing is to get out shooting!

In regards to hollow points, i dont do a lot of hunting, but a good domed pellet with dump a lot of energy for a good effective kill. I have heard JSB Hades are very good - they are nicely made and are said to fly like JSB exact which they are based on; an excellent pellet, and have some extra expansion as well - expensive but may be worth a try.

Enjoy!
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 8:01pm
My gas piston Crosman at 17 ft/lb shoots well with NZ made Winchester "Laser" (domed 7.8 grain) pellets and the possums are dead for 1/3 the price. The pellets were $11 box but the moulds were recalled to Australia a couple of years back so only one box of NZ pellets left. Aussie version is called Super X and still reasonable at $13 for 500. I liked them because they looked like a typical "slug" we bought in the sixties and there was no other choice at the hobby shop where I grew up. I cannot recall the brand but suspect they broke the tin down into 50's and 100's we could afford.
I have picked up a tin of JSB .177 Hades 10.3 grains ($34). The accuracy seems really good and initial measure and weight check are spot on. Quite a long body and the head is indented with a strange 3 legged cross. Will look for a calm day and get review posted.

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 8:17am
i too am a fan of these once locally made 177 cal pellets tho preferr the normal domed and wadcutter pellets,i find them very accurate to in my lowerer powered pcp and co2 guns,they came under few differnt brands daisy/winchester/killwel to name a few but were same good pellets,heard they were stopping making them here which is shame coz was getting them at $9 per 500 from Ron Young for years and $10 locally,i agree totally with JS bout guns n ammo/dosnt matter what either is if they work and shoot well,my thing with Gamo the same as his its bout the company and things its been up to over the years,as said earlier post i now own and like a Gamo 22 springer i have but wont have it if hadnt been given it,because would never have paid for one,but it was free and its turning out to be a rather good rifle which is really all that matters,fair comment on cheap pellets if they shoot well in a particualler rifle why not use them.
 cheers mike
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 8:23am
Welcome.

Sounds like good results with your setup, and have seen some CFX tuned up nicely too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic