Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hares....... For eating......!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hares....... For eating......!
    Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 9:14pm
Going out on a limb and expecting alot of cringing as you read this post .... LoL

Have you eaten Hare?

I head shot a hare several months ago and a friend of mine dared me to eat it. Was a female about to give birth to a litter which on several UK sites on such things say not to eat pregnant hares but I was up for the dare and invited my friend around to try it. We found a recipe that consisted on a citrus based marinade that we marinated it for 30mims and basted it during the 20mins each side on the bbq. Then rested for another 20mins before discovering that Hare is an absolutely delicious critter, in fact we both thought that if we were blindfolded we would have thought it was fellow deer.

I shot another one during lockdown a few weeks ago but was a poor shot and took out it's front leg, then was about 5mins before I tracked it down for a follow-up shot through its chest. This one smelt terribly strong and was so tough when cooking we had to throw it out. I am guessing that because it wasn't a clean shot like the first hare it was full of adrenaline from being wounded and this would have spoilt the meat.

I've decided to let the hares breed a bit more before I take the next one but will be interested in what you all say and tips and tricks.

And if you haven't tried one.... Try it
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 10:21am
hares are a game animal and are definatley good to eat,i no longer hunt or shoot our hares anound there plenty round here,simpliy because we just like seeing them around and cause no damage here,as long as there no new pine trees being planted,which for some reason hares seem to like chopping of at ground level we dont shoot them any more,some dairy farmers complain they eat too much grass so are a pest,but really how much grass can a few hares actually eat ???look up jugged hare,its an old way of preparing hares to eat,dosnt appeal to me coz not that keen on eating what is essentually rotten meat,but then again they hang pheasants by the neck til the heads fall off before cooking in europe,i guess jugged hare the same thing eh!!
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 8:52am
I know of an airgun hunter that swears by the backstraps as some of the best meat around. Seared, not slow cooked, like a good piece of lean game meat, without the gaminess of deer.
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 9:00am
Morning all, yes I've looked up jugged hare, you need too save alot of the blood for that. They do have big back straps and enormous tenderloins for an animal that size!

I have just spied last night the return of some bunnies around here so rabbit could be on the menu soon.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 11:04am
jugged hare has never appealed me,and there plenty other excellent ways to cook hares,our cats brought home couple half grown rabbits over past few days,so rabbits out n about again here to,we got few possums again ,they pretty rare round here these days,as farms all got possum control programs for tb etc,have to sort em out before they start wandering around and getting at fruit trees and eating the buds off everything to before they can flower or produce fruit,spring has sprung allright.
 cheers mike
flock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 7:12pm
Tryed the Jugged hare recipe couple of years ago, all I can say is I'm not into the favours juniper berries add to the mix.
 Not a fan of Gin & juniper berries are what make gin. Better off using a slow cooker mix, or use your  mix.
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 10:21am
Originally posted by flock flock wrote:

Tryed the Jugged hare recipe couple of years ago, all I can say is I'm not into the favours juniper berries add to the mix.
 Not a fan of Gin & juniper berries are what make gin. Better off using a slow cooker mix, or use your  mix.

Juniper should be used sparingly - its flavour can be sweet and piney but overuse can be a bit astringeant, especially if you are sensitive to it. You can add depth of flavour with bay leaves and herbs; thyme is a good one and rosemary can give the piney flavour to replace juniper and is less resinous.
A touch of dark chocolate adds richness to game meats too.  
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 1:44pm
I'm having for lunch right now a left over hare burger patty from hamburgers we had last night.

---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 8:10am
Yum that looks amazing, is it pure hare meat or did you mix in some pork fat or breadcrumbs and milk to keep it moist? Doing patties with them is a brilliant idea. I was looking at an old hunting magazine the other day and there was a recipe for pork and rabbit sausage rolls which is another idea I had for hare.

I've been flat out honing my traditional bow skills over the last month ready for the roar so haven't even touched my air rifles lately except for a quick valve mod on my cr600w to increase performance slightly.
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 11:16am
I didn't have lard, so I added some butter + BBQ sauce + garlic+ salt = yummy!
---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic