Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question
    Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 12:00pm
I have upgraded my soda stream to the new one. i have three 30L bottles left over from the old system as the new ones have the 60L bottle. I looked on the side of them and the alloy ones say 250BAR on them...im guessing they can handle up to 2500PSI? that got me thinking. why not use those bottles and make a PCP out of them or use them to convert a CO2 gun over to PCP.

Your thoughts anyone? has this been done before?
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 5:56pm
I haven't done it but I have thought of it 😃
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 1:10pm
 co2 bottles allways tested to well over co2 working pressures,i have used 88gr disposable co2 cylanders for hpa but have kept pressures to under 2000psi,i believe the co2 cylanders are tested to 2500psi,but wouldnt count on it,co2 generally never gets over 1200psi on very hot day so i am lead to believe by those who suppossedly know bout co2 pressures than i do,but have heard of co2 bottles exploding in US under high temps allso,i have seen 3000psi hpa bottles made from co2 fire extingishers years ago in UK when pcps first came out,just one those things,who do you believe???dive shops and fire extinisher guys will tell you not to do it,but they have vested interest in saying that for sure,you wont get a dive/paintball shop to fill them tho,but as said i have done it and still got one eye and most my fingers left !!!
 cheers mike
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 1:47pm
i just did the math...250bar is just a little over 3600 psi so should be safe enough......?
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 2:17pm
Most pressure vessels have a max and a working pressure, which is the 250 bar?
---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 10:23am
i had a 5kg alliminium co2 fire extingisher that came from UK tested and certifyed for 3000psi hpa as a fill bottle for a pcp rifle,cant see this large diameter alliminium cylander being as strong as a steel soda stream cylander,yet was certifyed for 3000psi using hpa in UK and had no trouble getting it tested here and filled to 3000psi by local dive shop,so i would have no issuses using the soda stream cylanders for 3000psi hpa,the steel cylanders on crosman co2 guns which are very thin are tested by crosman at over 3000psi so i have read in artical by crosman some years ago,many in US use crosman co2 cylanders on 2240/2250s for hpa conversions,and the popular hipac hpa cylanders that use 3000psi are screwed directly into 2240 guns with extra screws to hold valve and these are very thin steel tubes,so a soda stream cylander definatly lot thicker and stronger than a thin steel 2240 tube,
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic