Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Webley Omega - Yet another project to the pile!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Webley Omega - Yet another project to the pile!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Webley Omega - Yet another project to the pile!
    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 11:10am
So I got another project. It will go on the list and pile with the other new projects, next to the current projects, just behind the older projects.. 

This one was a quick trademe bargain - the action of a Webley Omega air rifle. It looked pretty poor condition but at $40 at worst it was a cheap barrel to put towards another project. 

On arrival it had very little rust and looked to be just poorly photographed! 
A few scratches, a little surface rust but not bad for 30+ years. 
Fairly complete but no rear sight, I can source the correct one from UK, or a more modern one from Youngs. both options would cost double what I paid for the gun so will see if it warrants the expenditure at the end.  

There is not a lot of info on the omega, apart from it is from the era of the original HW80, FWB Sport, Diana 45 - the start of the quest for power but not yet over powered like modern offerings. 
Build very well, with bluing in the fashion of Webley of old - rich and deep. 

It has a breech lever release similar with a similar idea to the HW35 - so the lockup is excellent. 

It shoots, but diesels, and the trigger feels a little heavy but not bad - perhaps the Omega didn't take off because the Rekord was around - word is the Omega was 10-20% more expensive than the likes of the FWB, Diana, and HW with a "less good" trigger. 

Trawling forums I found a few posts from a guy that had great info on Webleys, I asked him about mine and searched his secret Webley database and provided the below very specific info:
Omega serial 827168 was one of a batch of 51 standard length .177 rifles produced in June 1990.

More research is needed to see if there is a full power version that came here, or if it was only ever sub12 for UK market. I will try to get a new spring and seal, give it a clean up, and see how it goes over the chrony. 

The main problem with it is that its missing wood.. So, I guess this is the best chance to try my hand at making a stock. I do have a chunk of Rimu that would suit - its only 45mm deep so a little thin but may be OK for a sporter style stock. 

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 9:54pm
That looks like a good project Jono. How many stock screws for that, and are the two front ones angled or nice and perpendicular to vertical?
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Pauly5 Pauly5 wrote:

That looks like a good project Jono. How many stock screws for that, and are the two front ones angled or nice and perpendicular to vertical?

At the price it was a cheap fun project, and I have a new spring and seal on hand now too. 
Unfortunately the design means dismantling the trigger to get the piston out but it could do with a clean in there anyway! 

Normal two at the front (angled!) and 2 trigger guard screws. I have a genuine replacement guard and screw set on order which will give me the right screw placement and length if I can get the inletting right!

I may just get it all cleaned up and functioning first to see how it shoots - maybe even work out some kind of jig to get some back yard groupings without a stock. 
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic