Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Walther LGR Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walther LGR Project
    Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:56am
I seem to be a sucker for these old match guns, and a sucker for punishment.

This is the newest project, which I will have no immediate time to look into! ; A Vintage Walther LGR Match Universal. 
The Universal has the walnut stock as with the LGR Match, with the LGR standard in beech, but the Universal has the adjustable cheek rest which will be handy as it will end up scoped for occasional use at the club shooting paper at 25 yards.

Its dirty
Metalwork is rusty
Stock varnish is cracking
It doesn't hold air
Its parts are becoming redundant and hard to source.
It was reasonably priced so worth a punt and if it fails it is probably worth its cost as spare parts.. 

But like most old match guns its nicely engineered and holds beautifully!

It came with the original rear tube style diopter sight, minus the eye piece - it does its basic function and is in pretty good condition but unusable in keeping with the rest of this hunk of junk. 

As a bonus it has the original Walther risers for both the front and rear sights.

The metalwork looks good, apart from the rust from poor storage. Its not an even covering but some thick spots. I will knock these off and see if there is much pitting underneath. Hopefully not. 
Its refurbished value wouldn't warrant a metalwork refinish, so it will be corrected as much as possible and regular oiling to keep it at bay.

As a bonus the plastic cocking knob and breech lever are in good order and free from cracks. I'd say it was well kept before the previous owner had it. 

Stickers show it was used in competition in its day 

The walnut shows some potentially nice grain in the butt, just visible through the yellowed and cracked varnish. I have some Slippery Dicks Gun Stock Oil on its way, as well as some Alkanet oil to darken the grain in hopes it will help the grain pop.

In terms of its function, the previous owner imported and fitted breech seals and a valve seal, in hopes it would hold air again but it doesn't. It has the telltale signs of a dud piston seal but i wont know until I land parts and strip it down. 
With the rust and cracking of the stock varnish (assume from moisture / humidity in poor storage), im afraid of what it looks like inside!

More soon.... 

Edited by J-S - 03 Jun 2021 at 11:07am
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 4:35pm
neat old rifles eh!!this one keep you busy for while Jono,bloody shame its been let get to that condition,prob bad storage,found many guns over the years in simiallar or worse condition,evan found a very expensive375 holland and holland mauser with mason bee nest for whole barrel length once found very rare Remington 44/40 pump action rifle few years ago that had been put away in 1941 the owner was killed in the war and had no living familly,rifle was found in shed in 1997 by me,barrel looked like a dirty sewer pipe so was given to me by property owner,figured would rebarrel it with new 44 barrel etc but when pushed bronze brush thru the barrel was full grease and years of dust,turned out to be mint,and rifle an excellent shooter,so you never know whats inside til you look eh!!lot guns stored by familly who dont know how to look after guns or simply dont care and only kept it coz was grandads i come accross this all the time.hopefully yours ok inside,but crying shame bout outside.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:45pm
There are definitely some hidden gems out there in sheds and garages!
That was lucky the barrel was full of grease and saved it - nice to keep it original.

I had this out of its stock tonight and it looks excellent under there - nice and clean and rust free.
The buffer is gone, probably crumbled away a few years ago.

The trigger is everything you should expect on a match rifle - really light and breaks like glass with. Slight increase in pressure.
Also noticed a small puff of air release in the valve area when letting off the trigger; could be a sign of one thing wrong - leaking valve perhaps. I have managed to find a new old stock complete valve unit from UK as well as a couple of bits - buffer, and piston seal.

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic