Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gettin old

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gettin old
    Posted: 13 May 2021 at 9:05am
what do you do when you have three sons who have no interst in hunting shooting or guns etc have no interest in the machinery and tools your have in your shop who i know very well will just sell everything off to extract as money as possible from my estate when i am gone,what is the point of leaving these things i value if this is going to happen as i know it will to those who will never use or appreciate them???i am 70 years old now and you get to thinking about these things as you get older,i dont want to dump it on Sharon as it will just be a hassle for her to sort out,so what do you do with things you value but your familly dosnt??i would love to find a good home for these things when i am gone where they will be used and appreciated.hopefully got few years left in me yet,,but you never know eh!!.
 cheers mike

J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 1:33pm
At 70, im sure you have many years left. 

For me, when I'm gone I will be gone.. as long as I have enjoyed them while I was around that's the main thing.. It will be a pity that items get flogged off for the cash, but I wouldn't be around to see it. 

Once thing of reassurance is that there are plenty of enthusiasts around, so while they may not stay in the family, there is hope that they will go to someone that would appreciate them.

I had a thought a while ago, that I should keep a notebook of the airguns I have, the work done, approx value etc - more so just to be of interest to look back at a later date. But thinking now, if anything happened to me, I know my family would have a reasonable idea of their value. (BUT, hide the bloody book while I was still around! LOL)
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 4:38pm
my familly dosnt have history of long life,would be nice to develope a good relationship with some one like minded,as would rather leave these things to some one i knew would use keep and appreciate them than leave it to my sons,they will get plenty anyway,unlike me all i got from my parents was their debts eh!!i have a small but well setup work/machineshop i specifically set up for working on firearms and airguns,the perfect hobby gunsmith workshop,dosnt take up much room all fits into a 2,4 x 3.6 meter space,definatly a one man workshop but has everything you need to work on and build guns,be a shame to sell it off bit at a time for what you could get for it money wise,coz you would never get what its really worth to a hobby gun smith for what it is,so would rather leave it to some one like myself in my will,it takes years to setup a shop like mine,i have made a lot the specilized tooling i use extensivly modifyed the lathe and mill to suit what i do,you can make pretty much anything you would ever need for a gun project in this small shop, i will keep adding to and improving things here until i die thats just how i am,like most machist shops there is allways something you would like,and i am a tool guy so am never satisfied with what i have eh!!. cheers mike
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:03am
I know how you feel Mike - we've just completed our Wills and Enduring Powers of Attorney with our solicitor and I have allocated all my air rifles, tanks, compressor, etc... to people I know who will cherish them after my death. Smile

If they don't treat them well, I'll haunt the buggers!!! LOL

If you have a Band Saw and/or Scroll Saw for sale, please let me know! I'm just starting to play with wood and carving.....

And of course, any air rifles you'd like to sell, I'd be keen to have a look!!!

But I reckon, if you like tinkering in the workshop and shooting air rifles, you'll live to 100 at least!!! It's a stress free and wonderful hobby!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 9:18am
Originally posted by dvlnme dvlnme wrote:

my familly dosnt have history of long life,would be nice to develope a good relationship with some one like minded,as would rather leave these things to some one i knew would use keep and appreciate them than leave it to my sons,they will get plenty anyway,unlike me all i got from my parents was their debts eh!!i have a small but well setup work/machineshop i specifically set up for working on firearms and airguns,the perfect hobby gunsmith workshop,dosnt take up much room all fits into a 2,4 x 3.6 meter space,definatly a one man workshop but has everything you need to work on and build guns,be a shame to sell it off bit at a time for what you could get for it money wise,coz you would never get what its really worth to a hobby gun smith for what it is,so would rather leave it to some one like myself in my will,it takes years to setup a shop like mine,i have made a lot the specilized tooling i use extensivly modifyed the lathe and mill to suit what i do,you can make pretty much anything you would ever need for a gun project in this small shop, i will keep adding to and improving things here until i die thats just how i am,like most machist shops there is allways something you would like,and i am a tool guy so am never satisfied with what i have eh!!. cheers mike

It sounds like quite the setup! I wish I had the skills and knowledge to create things like that revolver!
My "setup" is an overcrowded tiny tool bench from bunnings with a shaky drill press from my father inlaw that simply doesnt want to store it at his place! You change speed with by moving the rubber belt up and down the wheels on the motor and spindle - its horrible and dangerous but it does its job for drilling and minor (very slow) milling.  

Having kids that are 3 and 7 months means I dont have a lot of time to tinker but I would love to have a small set up to do more tinkering one day. At the moment I am happy doing minor modifications, tuning, refinishing and rebuilding.  

As Myson said, tinkering and working on airguns and hobbies can only be good for you; it keeps the brain ticking.
The trouble now is storing all the 'keepers' that I told the wife I was buying to restore and move on to the next owner.. 

Edited by J-S - 14 May 2021 at 10:08am
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:18am
for many years i did all my mill jobs on a small toolshed drill press using a two way compound vise as the mill table,had to modify the press a little to stiffen it up and modify the the depth stop into a adustable quil system but it worked well if a little slow it got job done with precision,still have that little press and use as drill press now,unfortunatly i lent the compond vice and its never been returned,but they still available at toolshed and others for approx $100,cant help with band saw but do know where maybe able to get one from nieghbour who dosnt use it,onlt small bench job but may suit you,guy owes me big time as i just completly rebuilt one end of his house that was falling down,had 4foot holes in floors and end wall so rotten was falling out,boy does he owe me for that one,was up there yesterday shooting feral roosters and cats,still got at lest 40 roosters to go and proberly 20 feral cats left too,so owes me for this too,you wouldnt believe this place and how these people live,its a 10 acre rubbish dump,the guys been a hoarder for 40 years,collected everything imaginable and just dumped it on the property outside when had filled all the buildings including house full of his treasures,unbelievable whats up there,there is enough engineering and wood work machinery up there to setup a 2000sq foot workshop with everything you wanted,25 boats 30 tractors and bulldozers,i found 3 brand new bench lathes he had collected that have never been assembled in one shed alone while back,proberly 5000 worth tools hes just left laying around outside to rust away,never picks anything up and puts way just buys new stuff when cant find what he allready had,i know hes spent allmost $250000 on this in last 5/6 years,and never uses any of it so it all just rusts away ,absolute bloody waste.makes me want cry every time i go check on him,coz hes ill and dosnt look after himself guns f]ind him laying dead some where one day soon.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:59am
Originally posted by dvlnme dvlnme wrote:

for many years i did all my mill jobs on a small toolshed drill press using a two way compound vise as the mill table,had to modify the press a little to stiffen it up and modify the the depth stop into a adustable quil system but it worked well if a little slow it got job done with precision,still have that little press and use as drill press now,unfortunatly i lent the compond vice and its never been returned,but they still available at toolshed and others for approx $100,cant help with band saw but do know where maybe able to get one from nieghbour who dosnt use it,onlt small bench job but may suit you,guy owes me big time as i just completly rebuilt one end of his house that was falling down,had 4foot holes in floors and end wall so rotten was falling out,boy does he owe me for that one,was up there yesterday shooting feral roosters and cats,still got at lest 40 roosters to go and proberly 20 feral cats left too,so owes me for this too,you wouldnt believe this place and how these people live,its a 10 acre rubbish dump,the guys been a hoarder for 40 years,collected everything imaginable and just dumped it on the property outside when had filled all the buildings including house full of his treasures,unbelievable whats up there,there is enough engineering and wood work machinery up there to setup a 2000sq foot workshop with everything you wanted,25 boats 30 tractors and bulldozers,i found 3 brand new bench lathes he had collected that have never been assembled in one shed alone while back,proberly 5000 worth tools hes just left laying around outside to rust away,never picks anything up and puts way just buys new stuff when cant find what he allready had,i know hes spent allmost $250000 on this in last 5/6 years,and never uses any of it so it all just rusts away ,absolute bloody waste.makes me want cry every time i go check on him,coz hes ill and dosnt look after himself guns f]ind him laying dead some where one day soon.
 cheers mike

I wish I had a $100 drop saw with a compound vice. Below is what I used, but it was only to do a small section in a cheap paintball gun. The cut looks bad but tidied up ok LOL

All id want is a drill press / mill setup like you mention, a small bench lathe, a bandsaw and bench sander. That would do me for odd jobs, and mucking around with wood for stocks. We know we need a bigger house soon so perhaps a little extra shed space will need to be on the list of requirements.. 

That sounds like a bit of a machinery graveyard! what a pity! All the gear some would dream of, going to waste.

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 2:31pm
you dont need a very sophisicated milling set up,you get one those cheap compond sliding vices mate and you will be surprised what you can do with it on your drill press,will check out if can talk the neighbour out of one the small bench bandsaws he never uses for you,hes got several small brand new bench lathes up there that have never been put together,prob made in the 1960s but good bassic small lathes,will see if can talk him into giving me one too,he will never use them,but hes a bloody hoarder so can be hard to get him let go of things eh!!my little drill press exactly the same as yours,got some bitz made up for it when using it as a mill years ago some where around here,if can find them you welcome to them.
 cheers mike
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 3:47pm
Thanks for checking the bandsaw out Mike - much appreciated.

You're obviously a skilled engineer (I'm not!) so would you mind assessing it for me? Then I can call you to discuss your opinion of it...

Please PM me with your phone number when ready and I'll call you to discuss.

I'm not too far from you I think so I could drive over one day to pick up the band saw if you think it's worth it and if the price is right.

Would this be OK with you?

Thanks so much...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 8:15am
i make no claims to be an expert on anything bud,i dont consider myself a skilled enginer,machist proberly a competent one would be how i think of myself,still learning after 50 years mate,i just love what i do and i guess thats the secret to it eh!!love what you do,if i can get the bandsaw it will proberly be free mate,its only a small bench machine but looks ok,there maybe others there i havnt seen yet,getting him to let one go may take a while,coz hes a hoarder of all things interesting and like all hoarders hard to get to let things go evan if never will use them,you welcome to drop in if you in area mate,not many airgunners around here i am aware of,so allways nice to meet another nut case like myself eh!!PM me and will give you address and fone numbers.
 cheers mike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic